gPodder 3.0.0

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
SYSTEM

gPodder 3.0.0

#1 Post by SYSTEM »

GPodder 3.0.0 has been released:

http://blog.gpodder.org/2011/11/gpodder ... eased.html

Since it's a major update, I'm afraid portability may be affected. Is anyone willing to test?
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

joby_toss

Re: gPodder 3.0.0

#2 Post by joby_toss »

The zip file is ~300KB download... says I don't have Python installed... don't know what's up with that.
The windows installer is ~500KB download...
I'll wait couple of days... :)

P.S. this doesn't sound too good:
Device synchronization removed: We have removed the ability to sync to iPod, MTP and filesystem-based MP3 players. You can store your gPodder data on your mobile device directly for now (using $GPODDER_HOME) or wait for someone to implement a syncing plugin.
New on-disk structure: Instead of having "gpodder-downloads" in your home folder, and the database and settings hidden away in another folder, all gPodder data is now stored in "gPodder" in your home directory (on Linux) or in "gPodder" in you "My Documents" folder (on Windows)

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

As Emka pointed out in comments, the gPodder entry is just plain wrong right now as there's no v2.16 on the site to point to until the latest version is tested. Which means we're basically pointing people to the PA version.

ZIP version is here: http://gpodder.org/releases/gpodder-3.0.1-win32.zip

Will test the latest version and try to update the entry this weekend.

donald

#4 Post by donald »

I do not know what the last portable version is, but try downloading pre v 3.0.0 versions from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpodder/files/

These look the same as the portable version I downloaded some time ago, though I can not checksum the zip file or the total contents. (I have used it)

I do not believe this is the portableapps.com version.

(EDITED) I have downloaded version 2.1.6. it performs as expected but might not be the portable version

If you do download these files you should consider donating to the authors and sourceforge.
Last edited by donald on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

OK. I tested version 3.0.1.
In order for this to work, you need to download and install 2 additional packages: "pygtk-all-in-one-2.24.0.win32-py2.7.msi" and "python-2.7.2.msi".

Result: version 3.0.1 is not portable by any means! Saves settings in "user\Documents\gPodder" and is dependent of the Python installation (190mb; it might not need all the files, but...). Maybe there are some tricks to make it portable, but I couldn't find any.

JohnTHaller

#6 Post by JohnTHaller »

3.x of gPodder on Windows is a mess. It winds up being an absolutely IMMENSE program since you're forced to install a full local Python and PyGTK environment. We recommend sticking with our patched version of 2.20 which fixes the portablization issues in the official gPodder 2.20 release (and is pre-packaged for fully-portable use, of course): http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/gpodder_portable
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

SYSTEM

#7 Post by SYSTEM »

I have updated the entry to version 2.20 and added a note about the 3.x versions not being portable.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:I have updated the entry to version 2.20 and added a note about the 3.x versions not being portable.
Thanks for the update and thanks to Joby for testing.

JohnTHaller

#9 Post by JohnTHaller »

If I recall correctly, gPodder 2.20 doesn't work quite right without some fixes in at least one Python script and/or the included MSVC libraries on most Windows boxes. We originally delayed our 2.20 release as a result of that until I could nail it down. Those fixes are in gPodder Portable 2.20.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

SYSTEM

#10 Post by SYSTEM »

Good news: http://portableapps.com/news/2012-05-10 ... 0-released :)

I'm not willing to edit the entry because I don't use gPodder myself.

JohnTHaller

#11 Post by JohnTHaller »

If there are no objections, I'll switch the entry from old gPodder 2.20 (which was somewhat portable) to gPodder Portable 3.1.0 (which is portable) because there is no portable edition of gPodder 3.x from the publisher, nor is there likely to be.

I am Baas

#12 Post by I am Baas »

@JohnTHaller

Please do but also leave a note about the V2.20. Cheers.

JohnTHaller

#13 Post by JohnTHaller »

I am Baas wrote:Please do but also leave a note about the V2.20. Cheers.
I've updated the entry. I included information on upgrading since 3.x can't read 2.x subscriptions or settings and a link to instructions to work around it. I also included a link to 2.20 and tracked down the bug report in gPodder's bug tracker that had the information on making its portable mode work properly within it (since 2.20 isn't quite portable without it). The icon and screenshot were also updated as they revamped their logo and UI a bit. So that should cover all the bases in terms of what folks might be interested in.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1673