Positive press on lifehacker - comments

Any other tech-related topics
JohnTHaller

Re: Positive press on lifehacker today...

#31 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote:Its called framing. People use it all the time in politics. So here in the States its "climate change" rather than "global warming" on the right or "green initiatives" rather than "industry subsidies" on the left. Anyone reading behind the lines of your words hears you calling us "trash" the way Baas rightly pointed out.
It wasn't intended to read that way, just as a warning to new users who may not know about PFC's listing guidelines. And when it was pointed out to me that it could be misinterpreted, I added: "It should be noted that you can check a Portable Freeware Collection listing to see if an app is considered 'stealth' and automatically adjust paths so things don't break as you move PCs. If an app fits both those criteria, then the app should be fully portable." Sadly, I could not add that to the original comment due to lifehacker's post edit time limitations.
webfork wrote:Your choice of words matters and if you want to pretend like it doesn't, I guess PortableApps is something you should avoid because some people might get confused that they're donating to the program in question, which took lots of work or donating to PortableApps, which is an easy wrapper program that is just adapted over and over to different needs. Its not a big deal if you just make sure you go to the site in question.

I'm not saying anything factually inaccurate. But anyone reading between the lines would hear "wow, what an exploitative project."
Except that we make it completely clear what you can donate to and where that money goes. We even spell it out that you can donate to "PortableApps.com's development and hosting" or "Support the GIMP project directly" on the GIMP Portable homepage, for example. We do that for every app we've been able to find donation info for (except where the publishers have requested not to have their donation links appear). We're even adding in-platform donation links to the app publishers themselves from their apps in the menu in the next update to give users an additional prompt to donate to the projects directly. We make it as clear as possible who you can donate to and why. And we're not making money off these donations, they don't even cover the site's monthly hosting and bandwidth costs.

You have to admit that PFC isn't clear to new users about what their definition of portable is. And that the PFC definition differs from what many (possibly most) users think of as portable. PFC considers apps that leave things behind and have things break as you move PCs as portable and lists them in the database. Apps that do this are even preferred over so-called 'wrapper' apps that are fully portable and don't leave extra bits around. I'm not sure why it isn't made clearer, maybe folks here expect new visitors to be into the same 'extract and configure it yourself' niche that they are. But, either way, it's not clear. And, I'd wager, it isn't what most people would expect. I was just trying to point that out.

I, admittedly, didn't make all that entirely clear with my first lifehacker post, which was just a quick few lines in the last paragraph of that post. I didn't spell it out as clearly as I did here (when a PFC user was confused why his app he downloaded here wasn't portable) that even though this is PFC policy, there are things in the records to look for so you can determine if a given app is fully portable. That's why I then replied with a 2nd paragraph. If I could have edited my post on lifehacker at the time to make it more clear, I would have. And, as I said before, I am genuinely sorry if I wound up confusing anyone with it.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#32 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote:Except that we make it completely clear what you can donate to and where that money goes.
Yes, its deliberately misleading; its written to demonstrate a point, not call out an actual issue.
JohnTHaller wrote:You have to admit that PFC isn't clear to new users about what their definition of portable is.
Yeah you know where you bring that up? Here. You know where you don't bring that up? A site where PortableFreeware for ONCE gets some good press ahead of PortableApps. Even if you went back and made it "more clear" you'd still be warning people not to use software from a site site where you have:
  1. Access and the ability to edit entries
  2. A lot of people who promote your project and a lot of your work
  3. More than a platform to bring up your project and all the cool stuff that it does at every turn
... and then you go an insult us like that? A freeware website manned exclusively by volunteers?

Wow.

I am Baas

#33 Post by I am Baas »

@webfork

Very well put. This is exactly the sentiments here but I really think we should move on.... every single member participating in this discussion expressed their dislike towards JohnTHaller's choice of words/omitting information/misleading etc. etc. but the truth is... pause ... the points made in his comments are accurate. This should be the topic of this discussion, not us vs. them thing. Let's use it as a cause for improving TPFC experience.

JohnTHaller

#34 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote:Yes, its deliberately misleading; its written to demonstrate a point, not call out an actual issue.
Your comments were inaccurate. Not simply misleading.
webfork wrote:Yeah you know where you bring that up? Here. You know where you don't bring that up? A site where PortableFreeware for ONCE gets some good press ahead of PortableApps.
I have brought it up here. Probably dozens of times. But PFC's leadership and old guard (including you) *prefers* apps that are not fully portable if they are so-called 'natively' portable apps. And that's a policy that isn't written or explained anywhere on the site to a new visitor.
webfork wrote:Even if you went back and made it "more clear" you'd still be warning people not to use software from a site site where you have:
  1. Access and the ability to edit entries
  2. A lot of people who promote your project and a lot of your work
  3. More than a platform to bring up your project and all the cool stuff that it does at every turn
... and then you go an insult us like that? A freeware website manned exclusively by volunteers?
I have access to edit entries, but not the ability to affect policy change, alter the database structure or to make policy more clear to new users, etc. No matter how many times I've brought up the fact that apps that leave things behind or have features break as you move are not really portable in the way most people think or that it is confusing to new users, nothing has changed. Despite that, I'm STILL making realistic, logical suggestions to help improve PFC's experience for all users.

Some people here appreciate our (PortableApps.com's) work. Some people denigrate it and call it trash (or worse), including more than one long-time PFC member. It has occurred in this very thread. I am not surprised when encountering this here.

I don't post new threads about the PortableApps.com Platform here because it doesn't seem to be what some members want. I didn't even add the PortableApps.com Platform to the database for the same reason. I add to discussions about things like 32/64bit apps, altering entries, explaining PFC policies to new users, etc where I can. I edit entries to add our apps as alternatives when they have an advantage (stealth or fixing broken features) but always keep it to a single line and try to keep it unbiased. And when someone is confused or mislead about PortableApps.com Format or our goals, I explain it as best I can in the forums. You make it sound like I spam the forums every day or edit every entry to some sort of nefarious end.

I'm not sure why, but you still seem to think this is a competition. Statements like "PortableFreeware for ONCE gets some good press ahead of PortableApps" speak to that. I've said it multiple times, it's not an us vs them thing. PFC is not a competitor to PortableApps.com. PFC is a directory of portable software that includes some listings from PA.c. PFC doesn't develop a competing platform or a competing app packaging format. Hell, I was considering asking Andrew about helping out with hosting a while ago since we have a really solid hosting setup that's a bit overkill and could easily handle PFC in addition to our own stuff.

I wasn't trying to insult PFC. If I was, I could have mentioned apps that don't work right, brought up how many entries are out of date or inaccurate and missing details. I could have mentioned how PFC's database was hacked and all user details stolen and the site was vulnerable like this for months due to a phpbb bug. Or I could have used words like 'trash' or 'garbage'.

But it wasn't my goal to insult PFC or its members, even the ones who regularly insult me and my work. It was my goal, in a single small lifehacker post that isn't even listed on the default 'featured' comments, in a single paragraph at the end of said post, to simply point out that PFC uses different criteria to consider an app portable and eligible for listing in their database than PortableApps.com and some of the rest of the portable software enthusiast community does. That's it. And when it was pointed out that my mention was incomplete and could be misinterpreted, I amended it. That's all.

In the end, I already apologized more than once for any confusion I created. And I'm still here trying to make my point about possible confusion, about having a different definition than what many people think, about that policy not being clear, about users sometimes not reading listings and just downloading and being annoyed that it doesn't 'just work', and making what I think are solid suggestions to improve that experience for new and old users alike. And none of those suggestions benefit PortableApps.com or myself in any way, except as a user of PFC. Which I would still like to be.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

#35 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:Its called framing. People use it all the time in politics. So here in the States its "climate change" rather than "global warming" on the right or "green initiatives" rather than "industry subsidies" on the left.
webfork wrote:Yeah you know where you bring that up? Here. You know where you don't bring that up? A site where PortableFreeware for ONCE gets some good press ahead of PortableApps. Even if you went back and made it "more clear" you'd still be warning people not to use software from a site site where you have:

Access and the ability to edit entries
A lot of people who promote your project and a lot of your work
More than a platform to bring up your project and all the cool stuff that it does at every turn

I really have to second webfork on this.

GeddichNixan

#36 Post by GeddichNixan »

Midas wrote:
webfork wrote:Its called framing. People use it all the time in politics. So here in the States its "climate change" rather than "global warming" on the right or "green initiatives" rather than "industry subsidies" on the left.
webfork wrote:Yeah you know where you bring that up? Here. You know where you don't bring that up? A site where PortableFreeware for ONCE gets some good press ahead of PortableApps. Even if you went back and made it "more clear" you'd still be warning people not to use software from a site site where you have:

Access and the ability to edit entries
A lot of people who promote your project and a lot of your work
More than a platform to bring up your project and all the cool stuff that it does at every turn

I really have to second webfork on this.
Me too.

SYSTEM

#37 Post by SYSTEM »

JohnTHaller wrote: You have to admit that PFC isn't clear to new users about what their definition of portable is. And that the PFC definition differs from what many (possibly most) users think of as portable. PFC considers apps that leave things behind and have things break as you move PCs as portable and lists them in the database. Apps that do this are even preferred over so-called 'wrapper' apps that are fully portable and don't leave extra bits around. I'm not sure why it isn't made clearer, maybe folks here expect new visitors to be into the same 'extract and configure it yourself' niche that they are. But, either way, it's not clear. And, I'd wager, it isn't what most people would expect. I was just trying to point that out.
It is made clear in the about page (which is outdated, though).

http://www.portablefreeware.com/about.php
Andrew Lee wrote: I say this is an ideal definition because very few programs meet all the above requirements. If I were to stick to all these rules, the database probably won't be very useful, at least to me. And not everybody agrees that all these requirements are equally important or necessary. So I have decided that quite simply, the apps in the database are what I, Andrew Lee, consider to be portable. I will write up as much as I can about each app (dependencies, settings location, access rights, stealth etc.), and you decide for yourself whether it is portable.
By the way, PortableApps.com doesn't make it at all clear that some of its applications are natively portable. I was really angry at the time I found it out (about three years ago), and it might actually still be one of the reasons why I dislike wrappers.
JohnTHaller wrote: I have brought it up here. Probably dozens of times. But PFC's leadership and old guard (including you) *prefers* apps that are not fully portable if they are so-called 'natively' portable apps. And that's a policy that isn't written or explained anywhere on the site to a new visitor.
Indeed, it should be mentioned in the about page.
JohnTHaller wrote: I don't post new threads about the PortableApps.com Platform here because it doesn't seem to be what some members want. I didn't even add the PortableApps.com Platform to the database for the same reason. I add to discussions about things like 32/64bit apps, altering entries, explaining PFC policies to new users, etc where I can. I edit entries to add our apps as alternatives when they have an advantage (stealth or fixing broken features) but always keep it to a single line and try to keep it unbiased. And when someone is confused or mislead about PortableApps.com Format or our goals, I explain it as best I can in the forums.
Let me say that I appreciate it. :)

(BTW, Andrew Lee had added PortableApps.com Suite to the database in year 2006.)
JohnTHaller wrote: I'm not sure why, but you still seem to think this is a competition. Statements like "PortableFreeware for ONCE gets some good press ahead of PortableApps" speak to that. I've said it multiple times, it's not an us vs them thing. PFC is not a competitor to PortableApps.com. PFC is a directory of portable software that includes some listings from PA.c. PFC doesn't develop a competing platform or a competing app packaging format. Hell, I was considering asking Andrew about helping out with hosting a while ago since we have a really solid hosting setup that's a bit overkill and could easily handle PFC in addition to our own stuff.
TPFC should not be a competitor to PA.c., but there is competition (natively portable vs. wrappered applications).
JohnTHaller wrote: [...]I could have mentioned apps that don't work right, brought up how many entries are out of date[...]
Are there any right now? If yes, please tell which so they can be fixed. :)

--

@webfork & I am Baas

I agree with you both.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

JohnTHaller

#38 Post by JohnTHaller »

SYSTEM wrote:It is made clear in the about page (which is outdated, though).
http://www.portablefreeware.com/about.php
I think even that is a bit wordy and hard to follow, especially since it seems more an 'About PFC' page than anything else at a glance. We try and keep our What is a portable app? as lean and categorized as possible, starting with the definition, moving onto the guidelines, then to the possibilities of why you'd want it and finally to the reasons being PortableApps.com Format. And that page is linked to from the sidebar of every page in our app directory so it's always at hand. We also link to it from descriptions in news releases.
SYSTEM wrote:By the way, PortableApps.com doesn't make it at all clear that some of its applications are natively portable. I was really angry at the time I found it out (about three years ago), and it might actually still be one of the reasons why I dislike wrappers.
There will be some people that get angry with any level of packaging. Some folks are angry we package Firefox (which can be made a little bit sorta portable with the -profile switch). Lots of people on PFC get angry that we package Sumatra PDF (we fix the most recently used files and used files thumbnails which otherwise wouldn't work in addition to adding language switching with the platform). Other people will be angry when we package a simple EXE app with no settings that is fully portable, but there are reasons for that, too..

We decided a long time ago to only deal with a single format for apps, otherwise support and maintenance is a mess. And handling updates and app store installs would be a disaster today. So, even when an app is 'fully portable' (what PFC would call natively portable, stealth and automatically adjusts paths) when used without a wrapper, we still embed a simple shortcut EXE to start it up. Note that in these cases, nothing is 'wrapping' the app, it's just a convenient and consistent way to start the app so that all our hundreds of supported apps work the same way. And all install the same way. And all upgrade the same way. So a user isn't left wondering how to upgrade app X when it's a zip file with a folder called AppName15 in it and their existing install of the app is in AppName14, for instance. Or that they need to be sure to copy all the files out of a zip and overwrite their existing install except for the settings.ini file because it would reset all their settings. There's more to the user experience than just having something be 'portable', at least in our eyes. It has to be easy to download, easy to ensure you got the whole download, easy to install, easy to upgrade and easy to start using. The full rationale is at Why PortableApps.com Format and a PortableApps.com Installer? and is a recommended read for anyone confused about why we package apps the way we do.
SYSTEM wrote:Indeed, it should be mentioned in the about page.
As mentioned above, the about page is more about the history of PFC in many ways. Users would be better served by a page dedicated to explaining PFC's rationale.
SYSTEM wrote:Let me say that I appreciate it. :)

(BTW, Andrew Lee had added PortableApps.com Suite to the database in year 2006.)
I'm glad some folks do. :) Some other folks here damn me for making any mention of our software on PFC. Like, I said, I've come to expect terms like 'trash', 'garbage' and 'portablecraps' from a certain small percentage of users here. Thankfully they are in the minority.

I didn't realize Andrew had added it. And back in 2006 when it was a simple basic menu, too.
SYSTEM wrote:TPFC should not be a competitor to PA.c., but there is competition (natively portable vs. wrappered applications).
I disagree. Some people prefer the advanced and manual process behind most 'natively portable' apps. I think more prefer a simple download and use approach. But there will always be fans of both approaches. The same way there are a certain group of folks who like to tinker with their PC's hardware and software and a much larger group of folks who want things to just work but still have the ability to tinker if they want to.
SYSTEM wrote:Are there any right now? If yes, please tell which so they can be fixed. :)
I've seen dozens of them over the years. It used to be that nearly all of the PA.c apps here had errors in some ways. I didn't actually move to update them all at the time because I thought even more PFC users would get upset about me editing our own records. I've since fixed several of them. Most of the time I use apps it's in PA.c Format, as nearly all the apps I need are in our format and we like to eat our own dogfood, as the expression goes. I have a pretty extensive personal database of how we make our hundreds of apps portable, what can be left behind if not checked, what breaks if not adjusted, and how to tweak settings for better performance. The vast majority of it is not in the PFC database. I may eventually publish it all on PA.c at which point PFC users would likely cull it for info for the database here.

SYSTEM

#39 Post by SYSTEM »

JohnTHaller wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:By the way, PortableApps.com doesn't make it at all clear that some of its applications are natively portable. I was really angry at the time I found it out (about three years ago), and it might actually still be one of the reasons why I dislike wrappers.
There will be some people that get angry with any level of packaging. Some folks are angry we package Firefox (which can be made a little bit sorta portable with the -profile switch). Lots of people on PFC get angry that we package Sumatra PDF (we fix the most recently used files and used files thumbnails which otherwise wouldn't work in addition to adding language switching with the platform). Other people will be angry when we package a simple EXE app with no settings that is fully portable, but there are reasons for that, too..
The problem is not wrapping, it's not making people aware of native portability.

Combined with that, your comment at Lifehacker actually felt like yet another attempt to keep people unaware of native portability. (I'm sorry that I didn't realize that earlier. Your comment at Lifehacker made me angry, but only now I realized why.) (Also, based on your replies I trust that it wasn't the purpose of your comment.)
JohnTHaller wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:TPFC should not be a competitor to PA.c., but there is competition (natively portable vs. wrappered applications).
I disagree. Some people prefer the advanced and manual process behind most 'natively portable' apps. I think more prefer a simple download and use approach. But there will always be fans of both approaches. The same way there are a certain group of folks who like to tinker with their PC's hardware and software and a much larger group of folks who want things to just work but still have the ability to tinker if they want to.
Well, I'd like if everyone at least knew about both options. :) I'm afraid there are currently a lot of people who are aware of wrappered portable applications (=PortableApps.com) but not natively portable applications. (Hell, I was one back then!)
JohnTHaller wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:Are there any right now? If yes, please tell which so they can be fixed. :)
I've seen dozens of them over the years. It used to be that nearly all of the PA.c apps here had errors in some ways. I didn't actually move to update them all at the time because I thought even more PFC users would get upset about me editing our own records. I've since fixed several of them. Most of the time I use apps it's in PA.c Format, as nearly all the apps I need are in our format and we like to eat our own dogfood, as the expression goes. I have a pretty extensive personal database of how we make our hundreds of apps portable, what can be left behind if not checked, what breaks if not adjusted, and how to tweak settings for better performance. The vast majority of it is not in the PFC database. I may eventually publish it all on PA.c at which point PFC users would likely cull it for info for the database here.
That'd be nice. :D

JohnTHaller

#40 Post by JohnTHaller »

SYSTEM wrote:The problem is not wrapping, it's not making people aware of native portability.

Combined with that, your comment at Lifehacker actually felt like yet another attempt to keep people unaware of native portability. (I'm sorry that I didn't realize that earlier. Your comment at Lifehacker made me angry, but only now I realized why.) (Also, based on your replies I trust that it wasn't the purpose of your comment.)
The thing is, in terms of the work we do, it doesn't matter. If an app is natively portable, we use its abilities. But we still package it in an easier to use portable package to make it easier for end users (and auto-updates, app store, etc). Think of it like an RPM as opposed to manually downloading a tar.gz or bz2 which you may have to compile or not. Whatever abilities an app has to make itself portable, whether existing by default or requiring configuration, we make use of. If that's all it needs and the app is fully portable on its own, the AppNamePortable.exe just serves as a simple shortcut (and possibly language switcher when used with our platform) and won't hang around while the app is running. At that point, it's not a wrapper, it's just a shortcut. If an app is mostly/kinda portable (this would be the majority of 'natively' portable apps), we use its abilities and then supplement it with AppNamePortable.exe to fix things like recently used entries and remove little bits it leaves behind. Then it's a wrapper, but just doing what it needs to. And if an app isn't portable, the AppNamePortable.exe handles everything (registry, local files, adjusting paths, etc) and becomes a full wrapper.

Our point is, it doesn't really matter that an app is 'natively' portable. For the rare apps that are actually fully portable, our tools don't add anything in terms of runtime overhead when they are just used as shortcuts as they exit as soon as they launch the app. And in terms of disk space, you only have a <200k shortcut EXE, a few icons, a couple PNGs with a basic html help file, an INI file with info on the app, and a license text file. Totaled, it's under 300k, which is insignificant in relation to the size of the average flash drive today. And for that small 300k, you get a consistent app layout, a consistent location for Data, a dead-simple upgrade path (no worries about preserving settings files, etc), a smaller download, and all the features you get if you use the PA.c Platform (app store, automatic upgrades, language switching, etc).

So, if you really want to have to know how every app works, how to manually upgrade it without losing your data, how to back just the settings (if you want to), how to use something like regshot to ensure it is actually stealth, etc, that's perfectly fine. Just as it's fine to deal with tar.gz and bz2 files and using lots of stuff on the command line in Linux. But the majority of people don't want to do that. They want to fire up Ubuntu or Linux Mint or SUSE and look at the respective versions of the 'app store' in each and just be able to install it and have it work. If you're in the minority with respect to portable apps, you're in luck as you have options. And, you can even use our PortableApps.com Format apps for the instances where there is no 'natively' portable version (see 7-Zip) or when it's just too annoying to deal with the manual process (see Pidgin).
SYSTEM wrote:Well, I'd like if everyone at least knew about both options. :) I'm afraid there are currently a lot of people who are aware of wrappered portable applications (=PortableApps.com) but not natively portable applications. (Hell, I was one back then!)
And the tinkerers will always be a very small minority overall. But it's still not an us vs them. Mainly because of the fact that our platform lets you do either one you like (all-manual tinker or just download and use) and our apps will work for the folks who manually mess with their PStart or ASuite menus, configure every app individually and spend hours each month ensuring all their apps are updated and running smoothly. If we locked 'native' portable apps out and locked our apps down to artificially tie them to our platform (think Apple mentality) then it would be an us vs them. But it's not.

Still, there's no onus on us to describe in detail the process to manually get a given app to be natively portable when we already have it available in PA.c Format and the end user can just download and use it (and upgrade, and easily backup, etc). The same way you don't see a full explanation within the Ubuntu app store on how you can manually download and compile the tar.gz of Pidgin. Ubuntu still supports doing that if you're the type who really wants to. But they're not going to go recommending it to end users.
Last edited by JohnTHaller on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SYSTEM

#41 Post by SYSTEM »

JohnTHaller wrote: Still, there's no onus on us to describe in detail the process to manually get a given app to be natively portable when we already have it available in PA.c Format and the end user can just download and use it (and upgrade, and easily backup, etc). The same way you don't see a full explanation within the Ubuntu app store on how you can manually download and compile the tar.gz of Pidgin. Ubuntu still supports doing that if you're the type who really wants to. But they're not going to go recommending it to end users.
In case of Ubuntu app store, many people know that manually downloading and building is possible. An Ubuntu user will build an application as soon as he/she wants to use a little-known application which isn't present in the repositories (for example an underground game). However, in case of portable software, an user will probably just think "Oh, CCleaner isn't present in PortableApps.com, so it's not portable" and move on. :( (EDIT: I just recalled this.)

Still, I understand your point of view. Making people aware of other options shouldn't really be your responsibility.

--

Other than that, our points don't contradict each other. Using a Finnish idiom, toinen puhuu aidasta ja toinen seipäästä [one talks about the fence and the other about a fencepost]. I have nothing to add except that...
JohnTHaller wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:I disagree. Some people prefer the advanced and manual process behind most 'natively portable' apps. I think more prefer a simple download and use approach. But there will always be fans of both approaches. The same way there are a certain group of folks who like to tinker with their PC's hardware and software and a much larger group of folks who want things to just work but still have the ability to tinker if they want to.
...here you quoted yourself rather than me.

JohnTHaller

#42 Post by JohnTHaller »

SYSTEM wrote:In case of Ubuntu app store, many people know that manually downloading and building is possible. An Ubuntu user will build an application as soon as he/she wants to use a little-known application which isn't present in the repositories (for example an underground game). However, in case of portable software, an user will probably just think "Oh, CCleaner isn't present in PortableApps.com, so it's not portable" and move on. :( (EDIT: I just recalled this.)

Still, I understand your point of view. Making people aware of other options shouldn't really be your responsibility.
You assume that Ubuntu users know that. But it's only because YOU know about it. Ubuntu has nothing to inform a user about this within the system or the app store. So, at this point, I'd wager the majority of Ubuntu users actually don't know this. I assume that any interested user would already be aware of zipped portable apps in all their various forms. Most folks who would actually like to geek out on them know this, but some don't. Either way, it's not Ubuntu's or my responsibility to spread the word about either. Especially since users would then want support for the convoluted setups of other software out there.
SYSTEM wrote:...here you quoted yourself rather than me.
DERP. Fixed, thanks.

SYSTEM

#43 Post by SYSTEM »

JohnTHaller wrote: You assume that Ubuntu users know that. But it's only because YOU know about it. Ubuntu has nothing to inform a user about this within the system or the app store. So, at this point, I'd wager the majority of Ubuntu users actually don't know this.
I said "many people", not "the majority of Ubuntu users".

In addition, the information is quite easy to find: just download a little-known GNU/Linux application and the archive will contain an INSTALL file with installation instructions. That's the case with nearly all GNU/Linux applications.

What's the case for most little-known Windows applications? Not being portable. :( And even if an application is natively portable, portability often isn't mentioned on the homepage. :(
JohnTHaller wrote: Either way, it's not Ubuntu's or my responsibility to spread the word about either. Especially since users would then want support for the convoluted setups of other software out there.
I agree with that.

Andrew Lee

#44 Post by Andrew Lee »

I really didn't want to get involved in this thread, but looking at how politically charged it has become, and having received a couple of complaints via PM, it seems I don't really have a choice. :D

A much as you guys might hate me for this, I don't think John has done anything sinister or wrong. As far as I can tell, all his comments both here and on lifehacker has been civil and measured. He may be evangelizing his views and platform to a certain extent, and I may not agree with all his points, but I think everyone is entitled to his views, and I certainly don't think he is under any obligation to agree with ours.

Even among "old guards", I think we all have differing views about what portable means. I remember many threads eg. about Java, stealth etc. where we all have lively disagreements about the definition of portability. I didn't think I chose to shut out anybody just because they disagreed with me, did it?

I think recent comments have begun to sound like a discussion on text editors, where all the relevant points have already been made, and no one is going to gain any new converts, so why go on? It's obvious that portableapps.com and TPFC are totally different beasts and cater to totally different audiences. With portableapps.com, John is trying to built a platform, and I think he has done a great job that we should be thankful for. TPFC is more like a noisy forum with a great diverse community, and we have great discussions every day about everything portable (without concerns about any platform or idealogy).

If you think John has said anything defamatory, highlight them here so that he can clarify himself.

Otherwise, if the points are about:

1) John doesn't agree with the views of TPFC
2) John didn't say nice things about TPFC
3) I don't agree with portableapps' definition of "portable"
4) I don't like what portableapps is doing

I think we can simply agree to disagree here.

webfork

#45 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote:I think we can simply agree to disagree here.
While I respect your desire to leave a topic alone that doesn't seem to be going anywhere, the goal here isn't to stoke the fire, but to resolve it.
JohnTHaller wrote:And I'm still here trying to make my point about possible confusion, about having a different definition than what many people think, about that policy not being clear, about users sometimes not reading listings and just downloading and being annoyed that it doesn't 'just work', and making what I think are solid suggestions to improve that experience for new and old users alike. And none of those suggestions benefit PortableApps.com or myself in any way, except as a user of PFC. Which I would still like to be.
You do a lot here and I’m happy to have you, but you spend a lot of time promoting your site and your views on software (including the "Just Works" approach). If you’re here when it suits you and then publicly defame our work, that’s a false-friend. Further, it discourages new visitors, user activity, and dampens the interest of people who want to volunteer their time. You also put down something a lot of other people have put a lot of time and energy into.
JohnTHaller wrote:Some people here appreciate our (PortableApps.com's) work. Some people denigrate it and call it trash (or worse), including more than one long-time PFC member. It has occurred in this very thread. I am not surprised when encountering this here.
That’s true and you’re actually getting singled out here and not getting held to the same standard that everyone else has. I’m sure someone from our site has been negative about PA on a pro-PA thread, and it didn’t get this kind of reaction. However, you are a leader both in portable and open source software. You must realize that your voice carries a little further than other people, including me. You are treated differently because – to some extent – you have a much larger public profile. PA does get more press – including direct mention on Slashdot – and probably always will.

That’s okay because, as you point out:
JohnTHaller wrote:the tinkerers will always be a very small minority overall.
I say so because tinkerers make up a good percentage of this site. It’s a group that does a LOT of work trying to make existing software work the way they want. They will be the most vocal group as well as one of the most active.

It’s not your primary audience, but still it's an important one.