Klipfolio

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
NMC

Klipfolio

#1 Post by NMC »

This is a sort of dashboard app. It is not "portable out of the box" but can be run in portable mode according to their forums. It is easier for me to give the links and let users decide for themselves about it.
Link to homepage
http://www.klipfolio.com/index.php?acti ... s,download
Link to forum discussion
http://www.serence.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=429
Regards NMC

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Posted to the database. Thanks!

acgrego

Update Klipfolio

#3 Post by acgrego »

Updated version now 4!

Still portable?

webfork

Re: Klipfolio

#4 Post by webfork »

Few things on this one:
  1. I have no idea what version the software is at now, as you cannot actually download it from the main website anymore, instead you must click "try it" (which I'm guessing means its trialware now) and give your information. Edit: Wikipedia says its at v.5.4.
  2. As annoying as this is, the developers did see the forest from the trees and started adding in a lot of other types of information feeds beyond RSS such as Google Analytics and others. This sounds cool and clearly the direction they should have gone, but the lack of an obvious software download kills my interest.
  3. Based on the comments in the Klipfolio entry here on PFW, the software is up to v.5 and is still capable of being made portable: http://support.klipfolio.com/support/help/tid-95
  4. Snapfiles hosts a copy of the old version, which we've tested so I linked to that as the download site from our entry.

chadross

#5 Post by chadross »

Webfork,

The versions on the main download page are all trials for the enterprise product. They're all preconfigs. use this link to get to the personal free version.

http://downloads.klipfolio.com/download ... -dashboard

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Awesome -- thanks chadross. Now I can see how its come along over the past 2 years since I tried it last.

Impressions:
  • New License. Its still freeware, but only for personal, non-commercial use. Some of the included software (the SpiderMonkey JavaScript engine) is licensed under the MPL.
  • Crashy. I was able to drag and drop new clips but not URLs with RSS feeds nor the new Skins available. Seemed to freeze a lot. Every time it did and I had to restart, it forgot all the changes I'd made.
  • Outlook? Oddly, as business-friendly as its become, it does not include any kind of Outlook interface either for mail or calendar.
Overall this software gets a B+ for good design and smooth setup, but its actually LESS useful than the old version that didn't crash constantly.

I'd pass on this one.

chadross

#7 Post by chadross »

webfork wrote:
  • New License. Its still freeware, but only for personal, non-commercial use. Some of the included software (the SpiderMonkey JavaScript engine) is licensed under the MPL.
  • Crashy. I was able to drag and drop new clips but not URLs with RSS feeds nor the new Skins available. Seemed to freeze a lot. Every time it did and I had to restart, it forgot all the changes I'd made.
  • Outlook? Oddly, as business-friendly as its become, it does not include any kind of Outlook interface either for mail or calendar.
Unfortunately all the good feature are only in the Enterprise version (SQL, Outlook, Google Analytics), it is also much more stable. The personal version is only useful for RSS and other web based notifications and data aggregation.