[BeefText:] creating new combos

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
wabisabiman

[BeefText:] creating new combos

#1 Post by wabisabiman »

One of my entries is TW for THE WITNESS: (I do legal transcription). But when I type the word "two," it comes out as THE WITNESS:o. Obviously, this is not what I want. What do I do to prevent this from happening?
And is there a limit to the number of entries than can be stored in BeefText?
TIA

lautrepay

Re: [BeefText:] creating new combos

#2 Post by lautrepay »

Maybe you can modify the trigger for THE WITNESS. Instead of TW you can use TWS, or TWT…

Cornflower

#3 Post by Cornflower »

In the same vein as lautrepay,

This is a common problem for anything using text expanders. For text expansion, such as for transcriptions, one can preface the shortform with an easy to reach character, such as `, [, or ], as these are not used in most texts. a simple way for your need might be

[tw THE WITNESS

You will quickly find that [ becomes part of your typing. I personally use about 20 of them and change them with specific names or technical terms when writing papers.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Cornflower wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:10 am You will quickly find that [ becomes part of your typing. I personally use about 20 of them and change them with specific names or technical terms when writing papers.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

dhuro99

#5 Post by dhuro99 »

To avoid this, try adding a space after "two" like "two " or use a shortcut like "tow" instead. It should prevent it from auto-replacing to "THE WITNESS:o."

dlyaverablyamit

#6 Post by dlyaverablyamit »

To prevent the automatic substitution of "two" with "THE WITNESS:o" in BeefText, you can create a specific rule to override this behavior. Here's how you can do it:
1. Open BeefText and locate the entry for "two" in your list of shortcuts or snippets.
2. Edit the entry for "two" and modify the replacement text to your desired output, such as "2" or "two."
3. Save the changes, and the next time you type "two," it should no longer be automatically replaced with "THE WITNESS:o."