FreeShow - presentations

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

FreeShow - presentations

#1 Post by webfork »

Electron-based presentation software, program first mentioned in our list of freeware presentation software.
FreeShow is a free and open-source presentation program that makes it easy to show text on a big screen. It supports stage display, remote control, media, and many other advanced features. It is open-sourced meaning anyone can contribute.
Steps:
1. Download an decompress the setup file using 7zip.
2. Copy the contents of \$PLUGINSDIR\app-64.7z to a folder of your choice.
3. Launch FreeShow.exe

Status: Not portable, writes to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\freeshow\ ... tested v.0.9.4

Homepage: https://freeshow.app/
Download and version info: https://freeshow.app/downloads
Softpedia: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-to ... Show.shtml

FileHandler

Re: FreeShow - presentations

#2 Post by FileHandler »

Not a big fan of Electron, but for this I may make an exception. First impression is great and it even runs on my outdated Win7.

Thanks also for the portable instruction. I would have missed the 7z-file inside the zipped exe.

hamasaki

#3 Post by hamasaki »

You can use the '--user-data-dir' parameter to store the electron files in the same location as the app.

FileHandler

#4 Post by FileHandler »

Thanks. But it does not work here, it still puts 51 files into AppData\Roaming\freeshow\

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

IMHO, possibly a similar issue to the one affecting Chrome, whose underlying engine also powers Electron...

For details, see the discussion at viewtopic.php?t=23496.

hamasaki

#6 Post by hamasaki »

I'm really not sure what you are doing, but it works fine. I just tried it. All electron files stored in the app folder, nothing in appData.

FileHandler

#7 Post by FileHandler »

hamasaki wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:29 am All electron files stored in the app folder, nothing in appData.
Interesting. What Windows are you on? And what Freeshow version? And where is your app-folder located? On a portable drive?
Maybe I misunderstood. I applied the '--user-data-dir' parameter when starting up freeshow. Am I supposed to add it elsewhere?

hamasaki

#8 Post by hamasaki »

Yes, all my software is on a portable drive. I'm using the latest version of FreeShow and Windows 11 Pro.

So, FreeShow is located for me at:
Q:\Portable-Software\FreeShow

I created a Data folder inside that folder:
Q:\Portable-Software\FreeShow\Data

I use Quick Access Popup to launch programs, so on the advanced settings tab in QAP for 'Parameters' I set the following:
--user-data-dir=Q:\Portable-Software\FreeShow\Data

Then launch. Here is a screenshot of the Data folder after launch.
09-08-2023_133300.png
Hope that helps?

FileHandler

#9 Post by FileHandler »

Thank you hamasaki. I followed your detailed instruction, and it works exactly like you said it would.

I was not aware that I must provide a hard-wired path. With assigned drive letters always changing on my portable drive, this means I cannot pre-define the call-up. When reading your tip
hamasaki wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:56 pm You can use the '--user-data-dir' parameter to store the electron files in the same location as the app.
I thought it would store user data in the application folder, wherever that maybe, without having to explicitly specify that location.

hamasaki

#10 Post by hamasaki »

--user-data-dir=./Data...

That doesn't work?

FileHandler

#11 Post by FileHandler »

hamasaki wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:17 pm --user-data-dir=./Data...
Eureka! This does work indeed. Thanks a ton! :idea:

hamasaki

#12 Post by hamasaki »

lol. Excellent, glad it helped. :D