Awesome Video Player

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
tactictoe

Awesome Video Player

#1 Post by tactictoe »

Awesome Video Player V1.0.5.1
The name said it all. This software can play up to 16 videos at the same time on the same screen.
It decode any format out there and can easily replace the windows media player, K-Lite classic media player, VLC, DIVx player.
It is freeware for the moment and I hope it will stay like that.
The download weight 41Mb ish, but it worth a try.

Check the home page here: http://www.awesomevideoplayer.com/
Download link: http://www.awesomevideoplayer.com/downl ... yer_latest
A review can be read here: http://www.freewarefiles.com/Awesome-Vi ... 06852.html

Lot's of shortcut, drag and drop supported for video, a little learning curve for the shortcut and you have yourself an awesome video player.
So if you are a movie fanatic, I am, give a go to this one.

shnbwmn

Re: Awesome Video Player 1.0.5.1

#2 Post by shnbwmn »

Interesting idea. I hate their website though. Everything about it screams "compensating."

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

License is freeware.

One alternative program to this that plays multiple videos at once is HamMultiPlayer, though it obviously has a different purpose and feature-set.

Where does it write settings?

tactictoe

#4 Post by tactictoe »

webfork wrote:License is freeware.

One alternative program to this that plays multiple videos at once is HamMultiPlayer, though it obviously has a different purpose and feature-set.

I must admit I did not check, the download is a setup file and too late for me to report... Already installed.

shnbwmn

#5 Post by shnbwmn »

Uniextracted and ran under Sandboxie. It seems to write to:

%AppData%\Local\MagicAnywhere_LLC\AVPlayer.exe_Url_bpgxk1eyqbrm4xzhj1m2jbbb5oeajqmc\1.0.5.1\user.config

The file is formatted as an xml. Nothing is written to the app folder, and there doesn't seem to be anything written to the registry either. HammMultiPlayer doesn't look as good, but it is an excellent alternative. I tried to make a yaP config, but nothing I tried could make or move the MagicAnywhere_LLC directory :? .

tactictoe

#6 Post by tactictoe »

shnbwmn wrote:

Uniextracted and ran under Sandboxie. It seems to write to:

%AppData%\Local\MagicAnywhere_LLC\AVPlayer.exe_Url_bpgxk1eyqbrm4xzhj1m2jbbb5oeajqmc\1.0.5.1\user.config

The file is formatted as an xml. Nothing is written to the app folder, and there doesn't seem to be anything written to the registry either. HammMultiPlayer doesn't look as good, but it is an excellent alternative. I tried to make a yaP config, but nothing I tried could make or move the MagicAnywhere_LLC directory :? .
Might be time to contact the developers. To try to have a portable version of this software. Or invite them to join the discussion. :D

tactictoe

#7 Post by tactictoe »

Done.

This is what I sent via the contact link provided on their site:
Hi,
I would like to let you know I posted a topic at the portable freeware collection about your software. I found it great. Some of us, me included, would like to have it submitted to the site as portable freeware. However, it is not portable. I, therefor invite you to join the forum topic of your software if you are interested. Here is the address: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 20&t=22733 Most authors of software never discovered their products are debated in forum but I found your product outstanding. I wish to thank you for the great work you have done here. Your participation will surely bring more attention to your product from all members of the portable freeware collection and if published will gain a large exposition to the public.

Kind regards,
Ben (aka Tactictoe in the forum).
Now it is just: Wait and see.

MagicAnywhere

#8 Post by MagicAnywhere »

Hey folks. I'm the author of Awesome Video Player. Got your email Tactictoe. Glad that you guys liked it.

Regarding the portability of the application. We packaged the EXE so it doesn't have any other dependencies already. And the Installer basically just adds the Playlist file association to the registry. You can pretty much take the EXE from the program files folder and run it by itself.

So is writing settings to the User Profile folder your only concern? What do you guys usually suggest. Not write settings at all or write a setting file locally?

tactictoe

#9 Post by tactictoe »

MagicAnywhere wrote:Hey folks. I'm the author of Awesome Video Player. Got your email Tactictoe. Glad that you guys liked it.

Regarding the portability of the application. We packaged the EXE so it doesn't have any other dependencies already. And the Installer basically just adds the Playlist file association to the registry. You can pretty much take the EXE from the program files folder and run it by itself.

So is writing settings to the User Profile folder your only concern? What do you guys usually suggest. Not write settings at all or write a setting file locally?
Thank you for joining us.
Settings can be written to the application folder for portability/stealth reason (.ini, .cfg). Usually application that write to the registry are declared not stealth even portable, some are even declared non-portable at all regarding modification in the registry base. Some end user will not download it because it is not stealth. Best is to avoid any written settings, however in your case and IMHO an ini file for the application settings written into the application folder is the best option; if you need these settings. In concern of the file association, it is however useless as the OS looks for file association into the registry base and not in an ini file, but you knew that already. Unless the software has a routine to capture the call for unknown file association window message (relative to your file) and deal with it, but this is lots of work. Might just open the file when the program starts or on user/software demand and avoid all file association problem at once. In the last case scenario, an ini/cfg file is ideal IMHO.
Once this done we can advise end user on how to use the software on how to extract the software. Oh, and I will vote for it once proposed to the TPFC database as a BIG THANK YOU.

Once again, thank you for joining the TPFC community. Always a pleasure to have developers on board. :D

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Note: I wrote this up at the same time as tactictoe so there may be some overlap ...

---

Thanks MagicAnywhere for posting and welcome to the forums. First, if you’re a fan of the Agile software development system, I wrote up a use case analysis to give some background on why this is important to some of your users. Responding to your post:
MagicAnywhere wrote:We packaged the EXE so it doesn't have any other dependencies already.
That’s excellent.
MagicAnywhere wrote:the Installer basically just adds the Playlist file association to the registry
It’s ideal if the program doesn't write any settings to the registry.
MagicAnywhere wrote:What do you guys usually suggest. Not write settings at all or write a setting file locally?
There are programs where it makes sense to not write any settings at all but video players in particular tend to get tweaked quite a bit by their users. For example, I definitely would have a tough time if play/pause were anything but spacebar but someone else might expect otherwise. Therefore, I’d suggest aiming for a program that writes settings but always to the local folder.

smaragdus

#11 Post by smaragdus »

@MagicAnywhere
Welcome to the forum.

What I would like best would be a portable version which stores all its data and settings inside its program folder which would also extend its usability- if the player is really portable the users would be able to copy it to a flash drive and run it on guest machines without leaving any traces and junk behind.

webfork

Re: Awesome Video Player

#12 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

This program is just a demo according to http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... ayer.shtml ... but the website seems to suggest that the feature limitations are reasonable e.g. multiple player instances and multiple views per window isn't something other players offer.

I don't know but I don't see a clear reason to use this over HamMultiPlayer.