BB FlashBack Express - screen video recorder

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

BB FlashBack Express - screen video recorder

#1 Post by webfork »

Background: I'm searching for a (mostly) freeware screen recorder that -- most critically -- lets you crop after recording as well as delete extra frames/sections (EDIT: the excellent ScreentoGif mostly handles this operation). This program doesn't allow cutting but you can crop and, in digging through the tool, I found some nice extras. It's not very well polished unlike ShareX and Easy Screencast Recorder so expect some oddities here and there. Like most liteware programs built from their full-featured siblings, some of the included features are half broken or don't make any sense while others are amazing.

License: registerware, nagware (asks for upgrade to pro version)

Free vs. Pro

Steps:

1. Extract with 7-zip
2. Select "yes to all" when prompted to overwrite files
3. Launch FlashBack Recorder.exe
4. Program complains about stuff not being installed but seemed to work fine

Cool features:
  • Click and scroll wheel indicators are awesome, better than anything I've yet used
  • Good framerate settings (I recommend 8 per second)
  • A variety of recording limits including size, sections (breaking into X meg files), and time
  • Can reduce file sizes by disabling video extras like graphic effects, wallpaper, and showing window contents while dragging
  • Will record audio and the webcam (which can be minimized for the final vid)
  • Recording schedules and will record applications at start. This is really great if you need to see what a program is doing (and potentially why it's failing).

Odd, Unclear, or Broken:
  • Cropping - it great but it depends on the mouse; if you don't move the mouse over what you're trying to show, it won't show up. It's ideal for smaller (around 640x480) windows where the screen borders aren't necessary to the demonstration.
  • Flash video oddities - output settings are very weird surrounding the Flash video export, specifically (I think) an inability to export to anything but a container SWF if you use videos generated in mpeg mode (the default). You've got to set it to lossless (GDI) mode in Recorder Options - Record Mode / Performance. I'm still not toally sure what's going on here.
  • Notes only partially functional - The rather cool notes system doesn't work outside of the SWF setting mentioned in the point above
  • Audio collusion - Can record both system audio and microphone audio but unfortunately it doesn't export them to separate tracks so you can't edit them separately. You're better off using a separate recording device for your microphone altogether and importing that audio into your editor.
  • Keystrokes and modifiers - although the program captures these (including ctrl, shift, alt) I can't seem get them to output them into the video
  • Not sure what audio quality "low, normal, high" means
Missing:
  • Ability to export to formats with any kind of real compression apart from an old version of Flash. Alternatively you can save it to one of the very basic default compression settings like Microsoft Video or Uncompressed (not recommended as files are *HUGE*) and then just use something like V2V to compress it.
  • Any ability to cut (again, V2V could help here but it's a fair number of extra steps)

Status: not even vaguely portable. Breaks when you move paths and writes garbage everywhere:
  • Registry: HKU/../Software/Blueberry Software and HKLM/SOFTWARE
  • Filesystem: ProgramData\Blueberry, Users\All Users\Blueberry, Users\USER\Documents, Users\USER\AppData. I'm not sure but it might also call your mom, give you tattoo, and beam additional settings data to the moon.

Home:
http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashBack_FreePlayer.aspx
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... ress.shtml
Last edited by webfork on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.