Soundnode (dedicated Soundcloud client)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Midas

Soundnode (dedicated Soundcloud client)

#1 Post by Midas »

For the demanding music lover, Soundnode immediately looked indispensable in this day and age of social-everything: alas, in the end it revealed itself non-portable...

A Soundcloud acount is required and can be gotten through the program and most Souncloud UI functions are available from the left sidebar.

Soundnode is multi-platform OSS based on Chromium browser and, although it doesn't require installation and didn't touch the system registry (apart from an empty key at 'HKCU\Software\Chromium\BrowserCrashDumpAttempts') in my brief testing (Win7 x64 SP1), it saves it's settings and files to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Soundnode-App". Disk cost is around 82MB prior to first run.
Soundnode latest release (currently v0.6.2) can be downloaded right from http://www.soundnodeapp.com/.

appsuser

Soundnode

#2 Post by appsuser »

A "Spotify-like" Soundcloud player for your desktop.

Features:
- No need to install
- Native media keyboard shortcuts
- Search for new songs
- Easy navigation
- Listen to songs from your Stream, Likes, Tracks, Following or Playlists
- Like songs and save to your liked playlist
- Full playlist feature
- Follow/Unfollow users

Gizmodo article: Soundnode Turns Soundcloud Into a Spotify-Like Desktop App

Website and download links: www.soundnodeapp.com

Download zip and extract. Portable but not stealth.

Github: https://github.com/Soundnode/soundnode-app/

webfork

Re: Soundnode

#3 Post by webfork »

appsuser wrote:A "Spotify-like" Soundcloud player for your desktop.
Merged with other Soundnode thread ...

appsuser

Re: Soundnode (dedicated Soundcloud client)

#4 Post by appsuser »

Sorry about the duplicated entry, but I have a question about this app's portability. It seems the important settings for this app are associated with your login credentials, which are stored online. The only thing the app says it stores locally is last user logged in, last window screen size, and notification state, which make it not stealth but these settings can be "cleaned" off the local computer through the app.

So, if I can run this program off of a USB stick, login to my account, and access my playlists from anywhere with internet access, that seems to be a portable program, but I'm not sure of the definition with regards to saving preferences on an online system rather than locally. Sorry about my lack of experience in this, but I guess I'm thinking of an app like TeamViewer Portable, which appears to be listed as portable, and relies on settings stored in an online account.