Split up FreeOTFE

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Split up FreeOTFE

#1 Post by webfork »

Recognizing that some users are pretty hardcore about the belief that "admin rights required" isn't really portable, I wanted to try and make the FreeOTFE entry more clear by breaking up FreeOTFE and FreeOTFE Explorer.

I spent a bunch of time trying to organize the entry to make it better, but I think I just made things worse. I'm inclined at this point to split up the two products and just have them link to each other.

Thoughts?
Last edited by webfork on Wed May 04, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (better wording)

guinness

Re: Split up FreeOTFE

#2 Post by guinness »

It looks a lot clearer now, Thanks!

JohnTHaller

#3 Post by JohnTHaller »

I updated to the entry to indicate that FreeOTFE will not work on 64-bit Windows 7 (which is about 1/2 of Windows 7 installs) due to the fact that the drivers are unsigned. This is a known problem and one we hope will be fixed. I offered to work with the publisher and use our digital certificate.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

m^(2)

#4 Post by m^(2) »

IIRC the driver signing problems could be worked around by self signing and adding yourself to the list of trusted authorities, which is stored somewhere in the registry.

JohnTHaller

#5 Post by JohnTHaller »

m^(2) wrote:IIRC the driver signing problems could be worked around by self signing and adding yourself to the list of trusted authorities, which is stored somewhere in the registry.
Quite true, though that can be a bit complicated. And a bit more invasive when used in portable mode on a machine that's not your own.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

m^(2)

#6 Post by m^(2) »

Well, installing drivers is always invasive, a bit of registry edition is not much more especially that such entries are basically harmless when left uncleared, they don't break local ones.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

m^(2) wrote:IIRC the driver signing problems could be worked around by self signing and adding yourself to the list of trusted authorities, which is stored somewhere in the registry.
Any idea how to do this? I don't like the idea of Windows holding my hand and telling me what I can and can't do to my machine.

m^(2)

#8 Post by m^(2) »

No, I remember the general idea. I don't even know whether it wasn't plugged somehow already. But I'm sure it's findable.