Popular searches and All categories

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
ChipsNHotSauce

Popular searches and All categories

#1 Post by ChipsNHotSauce »

[moderator note: this thread was split from a related site suggestion thread]

---

I don't know if this is the right place but.. http://www.portablefreeware.com/all.php definitely needs a makeover.

.. And "Popular searches/Titles" seems like it hasn't changed in ages, is that all of time?

I think monthly/weekly top rated apps would be more interesting, or perhaps admin picks of the week/month?

SYSTEM

Re: Make site more welcoming to new users

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

ChipsNHotSauce wrote:I don't know if this is the right place but.. http://www.portablefreeware.com/all.php definitely needs a makeover.
I disagree. That page shows visitors how huge the TPFC database is. :D

Two years ago, I subscribed TPFC's feed for that reason alone. TPFC's portable software database was, and still is, the largest I know.

To be honest, for some time I thought pendriveapps.com has a larger DB, simply because they show the category list in the main page. Luckily I found out the truth quickly enough...
ChipsNHotSauce wrote: .. And "Popular searches/Titles" seems like it hasn't changed in ages, is that all of time?

I think monthly/weekly top rated apps would be more interesting, or perhaps admin picks of the week/month?
"Popular Titles" has changed over time. Foxit Reader Portable has previously been outside of the top 5 (I don't remember the exact position), but now it's the third most popular application in the DB.

But yes, I agree that the "Popular Titles" box would be more interesting if it showed the applications which have recently got the most points. For example, SilentNight Micro CD Burner would definitely lose its fourth place... :roll:
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

guinness

Re: Make site more welcoming to new users

#3 Post by guinness »

They've been like that for 4 years now :)

webfork

Re: Popular searches and All categories

#4 Post by webfork »

ChipsNHotSauce wrote:I don't know if this is the right place but.. http://www.portablefreeware.com/all.php definitely needs a makeover.
How?
ChipsNHotSauce wrote:.. And "Popular searches/Titles" seems like it hasn't changed in ages, is that all of time?

I was thinking about this the other day and I agree. I don't think its top priority and its really up to Andrew if he wants to mess with this, but I can think of a few things:
  • Keep the current list but have it rotate. Sometimes it will be the most popular of all time, then by month, then most page views, etc.
  • A list of programs that are feature monsters (e.g. OpenOffice/LibreOffice, PicPick, SeaMonkey, PhotoFiltre, etc.) and other stuff to quickly get people involved.
  • One user every month or so just gives their top ten.
I would like to change the list in SOME format because FastStone Capture is not really a program we should be promoting in light of other very capable alternatives here on the site. The editor doesn't even have an undo function, which is a real pain.

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

I think what I can do is to make it such that only the most recent votes (eg. past 30 days) are counted in the "Most popular" listing.

Currently, the votes are cumulative, which makes it harder for new entries to topple the incumbents.

With the change, the most popular list will reflect more recent popularity scores.

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss »

That would be very nice!
Like a monthly top 10 or something.