Team Drive

Any other tech-related topics
I am Baas

Team Drive

#1 Post by I am Baas »

A Dropbox alternative.

http://www.teamdrive.com/features.html

There's a portable version (not tested) at the bottom of the download page @ http://www.teamdrive.com/download.html

webfork

Re: Team Drive

#2 Post by webfork »

PCMag review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,55828,00.asp

Definitely not stealth. In my incomplete test on WinXP SP3, it looks portable. Writes empty registry entries:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Process\TeamDrive2
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Process\TeamDrive2\DEBUG
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Process\TeamDrive2\DEBUG\Trace Level: ""

Also, there's a minor bug in the installer with a checkbox that gets cut off "Display email in team drive. Only users which are n--"

Edit: bug note sent to authors.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

The program is clearly following in Dropbox's footsteps, but appears to branch out a little by appealing to power users. There are a lot more features and capabilities, sacrificing simplicity. It also will work with systems outside of the Team Drive network, unlike DropBox.

Some notes and a very preliminary test:

* Uses PortableApps PAF file format.
* Not small at 143 megs, although I think most of that is a cache folder in \TeamDrivePortable\Data\archiv . All the options to modify the cache settings were greyed out.
* Takes up about 100 megs of RAM while running.
* Creates a desktop icon once setup and a folder called "Team Drive spaces"
* Seems to add little icons to existing icons (e.g. a check box for if a file has been uploaded) which I'm going to assume requires a registry edit.

There was no way that I could find to just get access to your Team Drive without setting up some kind of sync or new folder in the "Team Drive spaces" folder.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

* Yeah those icons never went away. Clearly a registry edit and a very unfriendly one at that.
* I'm not sure, but it may be causing a refresh problem: whenever I pull up a new folder it refreshes like 4 times. Any activity during these refresh sequences gets interrupted.

I'm going to try to install the actual program and then uninstall using Revo to see if I can kill these behaviors.

Edit: even revo couldn't disable this. Sent a note to TD about this.

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:* Yeah those icons never went away. Clearly a registry edit and a very unfriendly one at that.
* I'm not sure, but it may be causing a refresh problem: whenever I pull up a new folder it refreshes like 4 times. Any activity during these refresh sequences gets interrupted.

I'm going to try to install the actual program and then uninstall using Revo to see if I can kill these behaviors.

Edit: even revo couldn't disable this. Sent a note to TD about this.
I think they are overlay icons, which in turn are shell extensions.

Here is a recent thread about removing shell extensions: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... f=1&t=8856

Hopefully you'll get rid of the icons. That behavior is just catastrophic considering portability. :(
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:I think they are overlay icons, which in turn are shell extensions.

Here is a recent thread about removing shell extensions: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... f=1&t=8856
Excellent -- thanks!
SYSTEM wrote:Hopefully you'll get rid of the icons. That behavior is just catastrophic considering portability. :(
Totally agree.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:I'm not sure, but it may be causing a refresh problem: whenever I pull up a new folder it refreshes like 4 times. Any activity during these refresh sequences gets interrupted.
This was actually caused by another program so if someone stumbles across this thread and is thinking Team Drive is crap, that's not the case. The icon issue affects portability, but its still a viable Dropbox/Wuala alternative.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

Now up to 3.1.0.316 ... that they haven't moved above 2 gigs or added some significant features really sap my desire to retest.

guinness

#9 Post by guinness »

I'm surprised Dropbox hasn't acquired this company, considering their run of acquisitions as of late.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

I was looking for a service to backup to both cloud and adjacent computers and looked up Team Drive again. I'm not sure what they're up to but I was put off by a lot of vague name changes happening. Now it's "Synquion secure collaboration" and, while they're listing a portable version, I couldn't find any pricing data so how much it costs appears to be "that depends". Supposedly free for private use, but I expect there are limits on the cloud service.

For a lot of small projects by individual developers to have unclear info about their program is sort of normal, but a commercial service?