Freeware Proxy?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Erind

Freeware Proxy?

#1 Post by Erind »

Anybody know of a freeware proxy that I'd be able to set up at home? My work firewall has various ports like IRC (6667) blocked. I want to set up the proxy at home so I can connect to that instead? I can screw with the port forwarding to get around the port limitation, but I think I'll need to set up a proxy for it. Any ideas?

Ottur

#2 Post by Ottur »

You could use HTTP Tunnel (http://www.http-tunnel.com/html/solutio ... client.asp) if you want to push your traffic through port 80. You wouldn't need to set up a proxy server at home, that way.

You could also use OpenVPN (http://openvpn.net/) and the Putty client to route your traffic through a computer at your home along with adding encryption.

usdcs

#3 Post by usdcs »

Assuming that your IT folks haven't blocked access to these sites, as we do where I work. I can have someone fired for having that kind of thing on our network. I'm curious as to why you would risk such a thing...

Dan

Ottur

#4 Post by Ottur »

Seeing as this is a web site dedicated to portable freeware, I would imagine that one could download the software at home and place it on a flash drive to bring it into work. It should go without saying though, that if your workplace has strict rules about what can and cannot be done on the network then it is probably a good idea to obey such rules. Unless you really don't care.

Erind

#5 Post by Erind »

Because our IT guy can COMPLAIN that I use unauthorized software on the PC. However, since I can screw around and still slaughter everybody else's work statistics, I'm a Golden Child so to speak. Not trying to sound arrogant, but my messing around doesn't interfere with my work so they don't bother me with what I do as long as it's not illegal.

usdcs

#6 Post by usdcs »

Hmmm... I guest the operative words are,
... since I can screw around...
So, you admit that what you are trying to do isn't work related. I don't have a big problem with utilities like WinDirStat, FastStone Capture, AutoHotKey, and the like. Especially, if it is helping you to get your work done more efficiently. And, in my case, if it has a business purpose, I will work to add it to our approved applications, and ensure that we are in compliance with the licensing of the products.

After all, I am interested in improving the efficiency of all of our employees. (However, it might impact some people's "Golden Child" image, somewhat, if other people started using the applications, too...)

But, when someone tries to so an end-run around the Firewall, I get a little testy. In my book, that is criminal. When my network is down, I have over 500 idle employees. If an employee would deliberately bypass our security and bring the system down, I would treat it like a case of vandalism.

Regards,
Dan

Erind

#7 Post by Erind »

No offense meant, but this is TPFC and not Intranet Ethics Site. My question still remains if anybody knows of any more freeware proxies to use.

Firewrath

#8 Post by Firewrath »

Well, id like to find one to work around these damn rule-based firewalls, >.<

and theres also Privoxy but its not really 'portable' either,
i mean if you copy the folder you can run it after unistall, but it still writes stuff to the registry,

...and before you network guys jump on me here, :P
yeah, rule based firewalls are great for control in someways (and app based in others),
but i have one for my portable stuff too, and id rather not sit there trying to figure out what ports/IPs Miranda/Gaim/etc is trying to connect to so i can setup pass rules for them,

but unfortunately there isnt a portable app-base firewall out there that ive found,
(though a combo Portable app+rules one would be pretty kickass,...
...damn non-portable Sygate firewall, -_-)

And no, im not looking to bypass my firewalls at work,
i have enough to deal with fixing the everyday computer stuff, :P

usdcs

#9 Post by usdcs »

No offense taken. But, people's ethics, or the lack therof, comes through their postings.

While this isn't an ethics site per se, the authors of our beloved Freeware depend upon our ethics for their support and in some cases their livelihood.

Regards,
Dan

Erind

#10 Post by Erind »

How does me trying to circumvent port 6667 to connect to an IRC server via TEXT chat threatening the livelyhood of people writing free software half the world around? You've really lost me here.

Firewrath

#11 Post by Firewrath »

well, im not too sure on the whole freeware-ethics bit,
but network wise,....

opening a non-IRC port and running IRC through it, is leaving the network open to previously blocked IRC based attacks and viruses,

and while IRC may seem just another text based chat system, it has some pretty decent scripting abilitys, that can infect systems with viruses and allow system access,

theres everything from remote system control scripts to a 3d game or two writen with mIRC,
ive done a script or two for a few friends channels myself (good ones, promise, random-quotes and admin alert for a game server :P),

now im not saying one way or the other what you should be doing and the whole right/wrong bit,
(what you want to do / get in trouble for is all up to you)
but IRC Does come with some risk and is generally blocked for a reason,
you might want to try running a virtual-machine on your computer before bypassing any firewalls,
granted it still wont be the safest thing, but IF i remember, they do generally restrict access to the VMs file system/network *(@bottem),
which Shouldnt be the main computers system/network,
(unless actively hacked, nothings perfect after all,)

and this one seems decent enough:
Free Portable Virtual Privacy Machine
i think one of the built in features is a proxy pointing to the Tor network (Good but slow),
but i think the main one they use points to some privacy lax countrys, if that bothers you,

if so, and im wrong and it doesnt have Tor, you could just always get the linux version of the Tor network and use it,
(Tor is Nice, if slow, but isnt portable by itself,......)

*Edit:
okok, so in general, if a virus gets 'out of the box' itll infect the whole system, but (and im not 100% sure here) i think VMs restrict file access to files that are 'under' the VMs dir, (IE: it uses the VMs directory as the 'C' folder/drive, plus having it on a USB-would help and add another dir to the list,) so im thinking that would block Basic virus/hack attempts, and other (Basic) irc-attacks Should only crash the VM not the main system, ...i'll find out somewhat as im DLing the VPM just to see what it does, but itll be abit before i can get to it,
...and no, im not saying if you get on IRC you WILL get attacked,
im just giving you the "Better Safe then Sorry" bit, because IF something gets through your re-reroute and infects/crashes the network where you work, youll be in a hell of a lot of trouble, 'Golden-child' or not,

Erind

#12 Post by Erind »

That's the thing, it wouldn't open up ANYTHING. if the proxy is set up on my home PC, then I would connect to it on something that's already open (port 25 anybody?) and MY PC would connect to the server via 6667. If anything tries to connect to that IP on 6667, it would be connecting to my home PC.

For the record, ProBNC is does the job perfectly.