Nemo Docs - documents and activity viewer

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

Nemo Docs - documents and activity viewer

#1 Post by webfork »

Home page: http://www.nemo-docs.com | Freeware Genius review

Not Portable:

Version tested: 0.99

Reason: AppData settings and dotNET 3.5 (minimum) seem to say this isn't the least bit portable. Efforts to work with dotNET 4, interface with Windows Desktop Search, and hardware acceleration indicate portability probably isn't high on their list for future versions.

There are tons of programs (many here on the site) designed to track your computer activity and help you see what you've been doing over time. This program is a much more innovative way of looking at that, using files created to describe your activity. If you're someone that doesn't delete anything, this could give a very accurate picture. Would love to see a plugin for Sunbird that does something similar to this.

Config suggestions:
  1. By default the program only searches My Documents and the Desktop (which I'm guessing very few portable users actually use) so you'll want to add your folder.
  2. I recommend users go into the file types menu and add more, including:
    • docs: odf, rtf, html
      pdfs: djvu, xps
      spreadsheets: cvs, ods
      video: mkv, wmv, mov, m4v
      archives: 7z, rar, bz2, gzip, gz
      audio: mp4, m4a, fla, wav
      calendar: ics

webfork

Re: Nemo Docs - documents and activity viewer

#2 Post by webfork »

I'm sad I forgot about this program as it would have sped up an operation I was running last month to visualize documents edited over a specific period.

Retested v.1.3.2

Status: (still) Not portable, writes to Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\nemo and wyUpdate AU
Also I think it's using dotNET 4.0 now.

Suggested settings tweak:

Click on the + settings next to "Types" and select the "File Types" tab:
... and paste the following:
  • Documents: txt, doc, docx, odf, rtf, odt, html, htm
    PDFs: pdf, djvu, xps
    Spreadsheets: xls, xlsx, ods, csv
    Images: png, jpg, gif, tif, tiff, bmp, svg, psd, ai, indd, jp2, jp2k
    Videos: avi, mpg, mkv, wmv, mov, m4v, mp4
    Archives: zip, rar, 7z, gz, gzip, bz2, tar
    Calendar: ics
Wishlist (even though it hasn't been updated for over a year):
  • Ability to view inside Outlook for attached file types (probably a pro feature)
  • Hover over shows a file preview for many file types, as right now it just works w/ images (probably a pro feature)
  • Customize the Week View to show files in different blocks (currently divided into 3 for morning, mid-day, and night)
  • Somehow give a view of modifications over time. I don't think this could be done without a separate program running all the time, but it would be hugely valuable to me.
  • "Open with" option in context menu so you could choose what to open files with
  • Ability to auto-update the index on some timed basis (probably daily)
Issues:
  • Window flickers when you hover over a file
Download note: the main website download is a "net" downloader, meaning it still requires a network connection to install. Here's the offline version:

http://www.nemo-docs.com/media/static/n ... e?_=1tt88l

(It also can't be uniextracted)

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

I just "found" it! :mrgreen:

It's called "Nemo" Docs.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

I came back to Nemo Docs and once again was kicking myself for forgetting about it. I've been using it to help keep track of several ongoing projects running in parallel with a lot off odd connected files. It's a huge productivity boost that would be difficult to set aside.

I'd would love to see the authors come back to it and have pro features where the program functions on SharePoint sites and remote servers to visualize file edits across a folder structure. I can see some solid commercial benefits there for project audits and tracking.

I also don't think it would be hard to remake this program as an open source project so ... maybe I can persuade someone on donationcoder to tackle that.