MyPaint - digital image drawing and edition

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
pplknownothin

MyPaint - digital image drawing and edition

#1 Post by pplknownothin »

Portable Freeware Submission:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2088

Screenshot:

I am Baas

Re: X-MyPaint

#2 Post by I am Baas »

@ppl

Thanks for posting about MyPaint.

AFAIK, MyPaint is natively portable (not stealth though, I think it saves settings - location of the scrap folder and brush groups and order, in MyPaint folder in %AppData% but I need to double check that. Anyways, nothing that a simple wrapper / launcher cannot handle).

Also, I believe there are already similar apps in the DB.

We had a discussion recently on listing portablized applications from winpenpack, portableapps.com, etc. in TPFC database that you may want to check. I, for one, am not so keen on adding X-MyPaint to the database for reasons stated there.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:I believe there are already similar apps in the DB.
Just from the screenshot, some of those brush tools look fairly unique. Programs that really enable an artistic user rather than just basic photo editing / modification are very welcome.
I am Baas wrote:I, for one, am not so keen on adding X-MyPaint to the database for reasons stated there.
What did I miss in that thread? As the dude who brings the apps, it worries me that you're avoiding wrappers and only aiming for natively portable submissions.

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

I just don't want to see TPFC becoming a mirror site of winpenpack, portableapps.com... etc. Anyways, MyPaint is indeed an excellent, easy to use, paint program. Maybe someone is willing to request the author to offer a portable version for download?

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:I just don't want to see TPFC becoming a mirror site of winpenpack, portableapps.com... etc.
Oh yeah, I did see that. Thanks.

I am Baas

Re:MyPaint

#6 Post by I am Baas »

OK, I contacted the developer and was pleased to find out that there actually is a portable version of MyPaint http://opensourcepack.blogspot.com/2009 ... win32.html available (scroll down the page for a download link or get it @ http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2554170/mypaint-0.9.1P.7z).

This is a slightly modified version that adds support for additional image formats and has extra brush packs.

But wait, due to a bug in python, this portable version writes some settings to gtkfilechooser.ini in %AppData% (Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\gtk-2.0).

Python bug:
unable read %USERPROFILE% properly if containing unicode char in Windows
Suggested 'temporary' fix
pass the --logfile=mypaint_error.log argument to mypaint.exe
Can JPE manipulate %USERPROFILE% before loading mypaint.exe to fix this minor issue?

rikylov

Re: Re:MyPaint

#7 Post by rikylov »

I am Baas wrote:OK, I contacted the developer and was pleased to find out that there actually is a portable version of MyPaint http://opensourcepack.blogspot.com/2009 ... win32.html available (scroll down the page for a download link or get it @ http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2554170/mypaint-0.9.1P.7z).

This is a slightly modified version that adds support for additional image formats and has extra brush packs.

But wait, due to a bug in python, this portable version writes some settings to gtkfilechooser.ini in %AppData% (Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\gtk-2.0).

Python bug:
unable read %USERPROFILE% properly if containing unicode char in Windows
Suggested 'temporary' fix
pass the --logfile=mypaint_error.log argument to mypaint.exe
Can JPE manipulate %USERPROFILE% before loading mypaint.exe to fix this minor issue?
Funny! I found this post is in connection with mine "unofficial submission" :lol: (btw, sorry for that "garbage")
I can confirm this is a GREAT proggie! actually the "X" version is 100% stealth and it works like a charm on my USB stick.
http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.1276

BTW, have a look on my post here: I'm trying to convince them in a formalization ;)
http://forum.intilinux.com/mypaint-deve ... f-mypaint/

happy portable all over the world ;)

I am Baas

#8 Post by I am Baas »

@rikylov

Are you affiliated with WPP?

rikylov

#9 Post by rikylov »

I am Baas wrote:@rikylov

Are you affiliated with WPP?
NOPE! :D I'm an ITALIAN university student that loves portable applications in GENERAL. On my 16Gb USB stick I've some proggies by WPP but also some by PA and a lot of natively portable taken from TPFC.
I have a personal preference on WPP because of native Italian language and (IMHO) due to the fact they made better portabilizations of some apps I use everyday.
BTW this is a really great collector/container ! :wink:

--EDIT---
anyway MyPaint forum answered me! (very happy to see this!!)
http://forum.intilinux.com/mypaint-deve ... 4/#msg9074

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Very cool program, definitely something I'd like to play with if I had one of those Wacom tablets.

Checker

#11 Post by Checker »

If you like it ... please vote :!:

shnbwmn

#12 Post by shnbwmn »

The latest official MyPaint Windows installers can no longer be extracted, and the WinPenPack version is terribly outdated. Baas already mentioned the unofficial builds, however that was years ago. I'll retest it sometime this week.

Perhaps the extracted files from the unofficial builds work with the X-MyPaint launcher? Otherwise a yaP config can be created. MyPaint 1.2.0 is scores ahead of the X-MyPaint version (1.0.0).

shnbwmn

#13 Post by shnbwmn »

Test results:
  • The official installer ...
    • Can be physically extracted, however there is no EXE in the "bin" folder (just clarifying).
    • Weighs in at 257Mb uncompressed, with many files/folders for various dependencies.
  • The unofficial build ...
    • Writes to \AppData\Local\mypaint
    • Totals only 66Mb in size uncompressed!
    • Can be portabilised with the X-MyPaint launcher, by replacing the files in X-MyPaint\Bin\MyPaint
    • The settings JSON file, as well as backgrounds, brushes and scratchpad folders are stored in X-MyPaint\User\MyPaint\.mypaint

achadwick

#14 Post by achadwick »

Hi folks. MyPaint developer here, posting to register an interest. I'm super new to your forums, and not a deep Windows power user really, so be gentle!

The "official" builds mentioned above are split into prerelease binaries which I make, and the current official stable build done by TumagonX, the chap behind @shnbwmn's "unofficial" link above. So things are a little more blurred there than you might think.

TumagonX's builds have always been rather cleaner than mine - he pretty much maintains a platform of free software that encodes some quite deep Windows knowledge and conservative stability goals. My goals are a little different: make it testable and buildable by anybody with minimal effort, and run as many automated software tests as I can on Github. Also I want to make a moderately-sized real-world app readily testable under bleeding-edge GTK3, because that helps everyone find bugs in GTK's windows integration (and its tablet support!) early on.

Yeah, the number of files MyPaint ships with is a nightmare. Python and GTK+ and an awful lot of runtime plumbing, not to mention all those darned Adwaita theme icons. Many deps. Many, many deps.

My current plan for the Windows distributables is to build a (non-stealth) zip bundle, and an Nullsoft/NSIS installer exe for more trad setups. Reason for that choice of formats is that it can all be created within MSYS2, which is one of the more flexible and widespread Windows dev platforms for Unix-style software.

I've a side project making a generic repacker tool for existing MSYS2 packages that generates those outputs with launchers or shortcuts, and which prepares the bundle to be tolerant of new drive letters or install prefixes. But its output is still a big tree of files, basically a stripped-down POSIX/Linux-style distro. I'd **really** like to know if there's a widespread app-image format for Windows that will Just Work on a regular stock install of Win7+. Something like flatpak or snap, maybe. Any pointers?

(To me it's fine if settings go in the standard user profile locations, but then I'm not a Windows user. After all, you need tablet drivers to use the software to its full extent, so the machine you're deploying on is presumably your own much of the time.

MyPaint should be stealthable with judicious use of GTKish environment variables, or via the -c command line switch however.)

shnbwmn

#15 Post by shnbwmn »

achadwick wrote:The "official" builds mentioned above are split into prerelease binaries which I make, and the current official stable build done by TumagonX, the chap behind @shnbwmn's "unofficial" link above. So things are a little more blurred there than you might think.
Sorry, I didn't know that :oops:
achadwick wrote: Yeah, the number of files MyPaint ships with is a nightmare. Python and GTK+ and an awful lot of runtime plumbing, not to mention all those darned Adwaita theme icons. Many deps. Many, many deps.
Perhaps "dependencies" was the wrong word, just a lot of files. Apologies again. :oops: