Drive currently in use? Nothing's using it!

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Erind

Drive currently in use? Nothing's using it!

#1 Post by Erind »

First off, I'd like to apologize if this is not in the proper forum.

I'm SURE some of you have ran into this. First, I use a 120GB Samsung HD in an external enclosure for my USB drive. Works wonderfully.... my problem is, most of the time, the PC tells me that the drive is currently in use.

I use PStart for my menu program and upon exiting from it, it executes SYNC.EXE from Sysinternals (forces cached data to get written) and then uses the safely remove hard drive feature from Windows. I am prompted to remove the drive of course, but most of the time, it says a program is still accessing the drive. ProcessExplorer (another great program from Sysinternals) shows no handles which include the text "G:", but it still won't allow me.

I have disc caching turned OFF for this drive in fact, so I'm not even sure that is the problem. What I USUALLY see is a handle being used by windows to the System Volume Information folder. Apparently Windows refuses to see this drive as anything other than a normal IDE hard drive and treats it as such.

Does anybody know of a way to force ALL handles to close down (besides killing the application) or know a way of preventing Windows from holding onto the drive?

nycjv321

#2 Post by nycjv321 »

try killing explorer