Sysinternals Process Monitor: New Sysinternals Tool!

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
ClausValca

#1 Post by ClausValca »

New tool offered by the fine folks formerly known as Sysinternals:

Process Monitor v1.0: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... nitor.mspx

Quoting:

"Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity. It combines the features of two legacy Sysinternals utilities, Filemon and Regmon, and adds an extensive list of enhancements including rich and non-destructive filtering, comprehensive event properties such session IDs and user names, reliable process information, full thread stacks with integrated symbol support for each operation, simultaneous logging to a file, and much more. Its uniquely powerful features will make Process Monitor a core utility in your system troubleshooting and malware hunting toolkit."

"Process Monitor runs on Windows 2000 SP4 with Update Rollup 1, Windows XP SP2, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Vista as well as x64 versions of Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista."

It seems to unpack, run and execute very similar to Process Explorer. Thus it can be ported easily and doesn't seem to make any more demands on registry entries than Process Explorer does. Shouldn't be too difficult to consider "portable" but I haven't thoroughly vetted it with with RegWatcher yet.

Looks to be very useful. I've enjoyed playing with it this afternoon at work.

Erind

#2 Post by Erind »

Can you search for Handles, etc with it? Or better yet, have you noticed anything that Process Explorer does that this doesn't do?

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Posted to the database. Thanks!

lwc

Process Monitor

#4 Post by lwc »

Andrew Lee wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:36 pm Posted to the database. Thanks!
It's stated in the database that:
2. Delete Eula.txt and Procmon64a.exe
What is Procmon64a.exe supposed to do? If I try to run it in Windows 10 64-bit, then I get an error.
Attachments
Oops
Oops
procmon64a error.png (7.79 KiB) Viewed 9798 times
What does the version called "a" do?
What does the version called "a" do?
procmon64a.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 9803 times

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

lwc wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:40 pm What is Procmon64a.exe supposed to do? If I try to run it in Windows 10 64-bit, then I get an error.
I think it's an ARM version for computers which have an ARM processor, such as Microsoft Surface Pro X.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

vevy

Re: Sysinternals Process Monitor: New Sysinternals Tool!

#6 Post by vevy »

SYSTEM wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:04 am
lwc wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:40 pm What is Procmon64a.exe supposed to do? If I try to run it in Windows 10 64-bit, then I get an error.
I think it's an ARM version...
Correct. You can examine the executable with sigcheck, another Sysinternals tool:

Code: Select all

MachineType:    64-bit ARM

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

If you've been interested in finding Windows tweaks, learning about the registry, or other testing, I have to say Process Monitor has a lot to offer. As I've been digging further into Windows software testing, I found a detailed breakdown on the program:

Using Process Monitor to Troubleshoot and Find Registry Hacks
https://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysint ... o/lesson5/

Mike.S.G.

#8 Post by Mike.S.G. »

Here's a few more tidbits about Windows processes using Sysinternals Tools - videos #s 7-12 are very techy but also very good... hang in there, some good stuff.
-> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... DwNdEebYGC