Windows GREP

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
webfork
Posts: 9522
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Windows GREP

#1 Post by webfork » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:02 am

http://www.wingrep.com/

A Unix-like grep tool with a lot of sorting methods using regular expressions to fine-tune searches (and a good help file to explain them). There are already two grep tools in the database (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=760 and http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1240), but they doesn't support Vista and this one seems a bit smoother.

I can't do a full test on the system I have set up, but looks promising. I extracted using Universal Extractor and it appears to save all settings locally (although it doesn't use a relative path name for last directory searched).
A fully-functioning evaluation version is available for download. There are no differences between this and the registered version. It does not time-expire.
(http://www.wingrep.com/download.htm)

Seems to be freeware except for a nag at program exit.

User avatar
guinness
Posts: 4118
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:00 am
Contact:

Re: Windows GREP

#2 Post by guinness » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:47 am

I tested WinGrep and it saves settings the registry (HKCU\Software\Windows Grep.)

Tested: Not Portable
Added 179 Applications: Portable

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 9522
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: grepWin

#3 Post by webfork » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:49 pm

[Moderator note: this thread spawned two other threads for:

[/note]
Last edited by webfork on Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vevy
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 am

Re: Windows GREP

#4 Post by vevy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:01 am

Since late 2016
Windows Grep is no longer available.

We will continue to support existing customers for the foreseeable future. Please get in touch wish us using the email address you received your registration details from.

Thank you for your support over the last 25 years!
Now site registration apparently expired.
"Is there a Windows-included tool for this task?"
"I only want open-source tools"
"I want a tool that is still actively developed"
"So many to choose from!"
and many more!
Support easy-to-do filters and badges!

juverax
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:19 am

Re: Windows GREP

#5 Post by juverax » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:22 am

WinGrep
http://www.miscel.dk/programs.html has an old version of WinGrep v.1.11 from 1999 (assuming this is the app mentioned in the previous posts).
The app runs in Windows10, but I could not figure out how to make it find something ...
Note: I just archived the web page (and the programs linked in that web page) on the waybackmachine: https://web.archive.org/web/20201024183 ... grams.html

NOT portable: writes to the registry.
Last edited by juverax on Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
deathcubek
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:42 am
Location: Island of Lost Minds

Re: Windows GREP

#6 Post by deathcubek » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Just for the notes, grep binaries for Windows are available via Cygwin as well as via MSYS2. Also, a "standalone" EXE an be found in UnxUtils.

(And, as mentioned above already, BusyBox contains "grep" too. But I think BusyBox' implementation lacks the GNU extensions)
„One of my most productive days was throwing away 1,000 lines of code“ – Ken Thompson

Dreamatorium | In Search Of The Disembodied Sounds | Best Regards!

vevy
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 am

Re: Windows GREP

#7 Post by vevy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:09 pm

juverax wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:22 am
WinGrep
http://www.miscel.dk/programs.html has an old version of WinGrep v.1.11 from 1999 (assuming this is the app mentioned in the previous posts).
The app runs in Windows10, but I could not figure out how to make it find something ...
Note: I just archived the web page (and the programs linked in that web page) on the waybackmachine: https://web.archive.org/web/20201024183 ... grams.html
Two different programs! :D
OP WinGrep is by Huw Millington last released in 2009(?).
The one you linked is by HKJ and from 1999 as you noted.
"Is there a Windows-included tool for this task?"
"I only want open-source tools"
"I want a tool that is still actively developed"
"So many to choose from!"
and many more!
Support easy-to-do filters and badges!

vevy
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 am

Re: Windows GREP

#8 Post by vevy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:09 pm

deathcubek wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:41 pm
Just for the notes, grep binaries for Windows are available via Cygwin as well as via MSYS2. Also, a "standalone" EXE an be found in UnxUtils.

(And, as mentioned above already, BusyBox contains "grep" too. But I think BusyBox' implementation lacks the GNU extensions)
Are you me?
"Is there a Windows-included tool for this task?"
"I only want open-source tools"
"I want a tool that is still actively developed"
"So many to choose from!"
and many more!
Support easy-to-do filters and badges!

User avatar
webfork
Posts: 9522
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: US, Texas
Contact:

Re: Windows GREP

#9 Post by webfork » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:23 am

vevy wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:09 pm
deathcubek wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:41 pm
Just for the notes, grep binaries for Windows are available via Cygwin as well as via MSYS2. Also, a "standalone" EXE an be found in UnxUtils.

(And, as mentioned above already, BusyBox contains "grep" too. But I think BusyBox' implementation lacks the GNU extensions)
Are you me?
I don't think deathcubek has been as active on the site as some other users to see some of the recent discussion around Unix->Windows tools, but I admit you could have written (and if I dig around may find examples of) the quoted text.

Post Reply