RKill: killing malicious processes

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
fang-face

RKill: killing malicious processes

#1 Post by fang-face »

A single file that finds and kills processes that prevent anti-malware-programmes from doing their job.
Website and download (in different appearences): RKill
RKill is a program developed at BleepingComputer.com that was originally designed for the use in our malware removal guides. It was created so that we could have an easy to use tool that kills known processes that stop the use of our normal anti-malware applications. Simple as that. Nothing fancy. Just kill known malware processes so that anti-malware programs can do their job.

So in summary, RKill just kills processes, imports a Registry file that removes incorrect file associations and fixes policies that stop us from using certain tools. When done, RKill will then create a log listing all processes that were terminated while the program was running. [...] Other than what is listed above, it does nothing else.

Since RKill only terminates processes, after running it you should not reboot your computer as any malware processes that are set to start automatically, will just start up again. Instead, after running RKill you should scan your computer using your malware removal tool of choice. If there is a problem after running RKill, just reboot your computer and you will be back to where you started before running the program.
I'm not sure as to post this here or rather in the "resources and links"-forum because of this statement:
Excellent! Pardon my ignorance but does this mean that we'll need to download periodically?

Yup, unfortunately there is no autoupdate.
To be safe, I would download it each time you use it, especially if a new rogue is out.
But it sounds interesting and I wanted to share.
I Could not test it properly because I seem not to be infected :mrgreen:. (It produced a log-file with 1 closed process though.)