Spybot - Search & Destroy portablized by PortableApps.com

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JohnTHaller

Spybot - Search & Destroy portablized by PortableApps.com

#1 Post by JohnTHaller »

[Mod note: the present is the official forum topic of Spybot Search & Destroy; https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2047]

---

We just released Spybot as a portable app over at PortableApps.com. It was a bit trickier than usual due to the way it updates and requires admin for some functionality. But it's finally done and tested and has been released with the permission of Safer Networking Ltd. I've added it to the database here:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2047

You can grab it directly from the homepage here:
http://portableapps.com/apps/security/spybot_portable

For the unfamiliar: "Spybot - Search & Destroy® detects and removes tens of thousands of spyware and similar malware from PCs. It can also clean usage tracks and fix registry issues. Spybot is freeware for personal use."
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

Re: Spybot - Search & Destroy portablized by PortableApps.co

#2 Post by guinness »

I hope you guys at PA.com have a Fire Blanket? Because you're on fire with releases these last couple of months. :D

JohnTHaller

#3 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:I hope you guys at PA.com have a Fire Blanket? Because you're on fire with releases these last couple of months. :D
It started as the 31 days of app-ness for December... and we decided to just keep going. :) 34 new apps in 34 days. The first 32 are all listed here:
http://portableapps.com/news/2011-01-01 ... y_new_year

I should probably get around to submitting the ones not already listed here at PFC.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Great news about SpyBot!
Thanks!

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

I was wondering do you get alot of users coming from TPFC PAF DB entries? This might be construed as an anti-PA.com question but on the contrary, I am thinking in terms of how helpful it is for PortableApps.com. Because as I have always thought PA & TPFC work hand in hand.

tproli

#6 Post by tproli »

Thanks for Spybot. However, for me settings are not remembered (language, default/advanced mode for example). Can someone confirm this?

Emka

#7 Post by Emka »

I can confirm that language settings are not remembered on my Win7x64 machine. Can UI language somehow be configured with an ini file?

JohnTHaller

#8 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:I was wondering do you get alot of users coming from TPFC PAF DB entries? This might be construed as an anti-PA.com question but on the contrary, I am thinking in terms of how helpful it is for PortableApps.com. Because as I have always thought PA & TPFC work hand in hand.
Most of our new users find us via Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. I have started seeing PFC showing up in the referral listings in our Google Analytics, though. It's not a huge number as PA.c's traffic is many times PFC's, but I've certainly seen an uptick since making sure a few of our newer apps end up in PFC, so it is definitely important to us. Many PFC folks are really dedicated to the concept of portable software, so I'd still be making the effort even if it wasn't garnering us any additional visitors.

I personally view PFC as complementary to PA.c in many ways and have a few ideas for working together in the future to help improve both. They'll be technically possible later this month as we debut some new features and functionality and I'll ask Andrew and the community about it once our upgrades are done.

JohnTHaller

#9 Post by JohnTHaller »

tproli wrote:Thanks for Spybot. However, for me settings are not remembered (language, default/advanced mode for example). Can someone confirm this?
I can confirm this. It appears it is due to the language switching component of the launcher. I'll take a look at it and hopefully have a fix posted within about a day.

Temporary Workaround: Open up the file SpybotPortable.ini within the SpybotPortable\App\AppInfo\Launcher directory. Remove the entire INI sections for [Language] [LanguageStrings] and [LanguageFile] and save it. That will disable language switching in relation to the PA.c platform and should keep your language selection between launches.

MiDoJo

#10 Post by MiDoJo »

John, currently the shortcut on desktop is enabled by default. Can you either turn off by default or completely disable. THX :)

JohnTHaller

#11 Post by JohnTHaller »

MiDoJo wrote:John, currently the shortcut on desktop is enabled by default. Can you either turn off by default or completely disable. THX :)
Hmm? I don't see it creating a desktop shortcut on any of my boxes or VMs in testing.

MiDoJo

#12 Post by MiDoJo »

JohnTHaller wrote:
MiDoJo wrote:John, currently the shortcut on desktop is enabled by default. Can you either turn off by default or completely disable. THX :)
Hmm? I don't see it creating a desktop shortcut on any of my boxes or VMs in testing.
Seems to occur when I think a setting (in my case ticking "I do know all that legal stuff") it suddenly adds ON Off settings to all settings. This includes and On setting to the following Desktop Icon (Default Mode) Quick Launch Icon (No Icon) and Both startmenu settings.

At that point the Startmenu and Desktop are created.

so really (i think) all that needs to be done is more stuff added to default configuration.ini

Midas

Re: Spybot - Search & Destroy portablized by PortableApps.com

#13 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: Spybot Search & Destroy Portable v2.8.68 released (no changelog).

Note that the free SS&D version includes anti-spyware, rootkit scanner, startup tools and "system immunization"*, but no anti-virus.
Spybot uses a unique technique to find the spyware, adware and more unwanted software that threatens your privacy that others don’t find. And the +Antivirus Editions give you complete protection with the best available Antivirus solution already integrated.
*] Immunization pro-actively protects your system against malware attacks by blocking access to sites known to contain malicious or unwanted software. It also blocks tracking cookies and browser plugins that are known to contain malware.

A product version matrix is available at www.safer-networking.org/compare-spybot-editions/.

Available Softpedia changelog at www.softpedia.com
/progChangelog/SpyBotSearch-Destroy-Changelog-1865.html