STDU Viewer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

STDU Viewer

#1 Post by joby_toss »

STDU Viewer is a viewer for multiple file formats. It supports TIFF, PDF, DjVu, XPS, JBIG2 document formats. These are the most popular formats for scientific and technical documentation.
Additionally STDU Viewer supports FB2, TXT, Comic Book Archive (CBR or CBZ), TCR, DCX and image (BMP, PCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, WMF, EMF, PSD) files.

Vote: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2045

smaragdus

Re: STDU Viewer

#2 Post by smaragdus »

I suppose that STDU Viewer might be abandoned not because there haven't been updates for more than a year but because the developers used to respond to issues and crash reports but they do it no longer. I came upon an AZW file that crashed the program, reported the problem more than 2 weeks ago (on 2017-05-11) and to this day (2017-05-29) I haven't got response from the developers.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

I had the same experience as smaragdus recently with a couple of EPUB files. :(

Plus, configuration options seem to be inconsistent at best in the portable version.

A shame really, cause STDU Viewer could have been the king of non-conventional viewers.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Update here: there is no so I'm not sure if this is exactly abandonware, but I was interested in the regex function for PDF files and was unable to get to a purchase method and enable the commercial license. I've contacted the authors and will post if I hear back.

This isn't my favorite PDF editor but the regular expressions, wide format compatibility, and speed means it will probably be useful for many years to come.

EDIT: STDU doesn't support standard regex. I'm not sure which flavor because, although this is a program targeted at reading documentation, it doesn't itself have any program info.

GerryB

#5 Post by GerryB »

I stopped trying to use STDU several years ago, because it was crashing all too often, and also because it failed to render my favorite font for plain-text files, even though that font works fine everywhere else on my system. My bug reports were never acknowledged.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

GerryB wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:47 am I stopped trying to use STDU several years ago, because it was crashing all too often, and also because it failed to render my favorite font for plain-text files, even though that font works fine everywhere else on my system. My bug reports were never acknowledged.
Well based on some earlier posts in the thread and the lack of responses to my email about giving them money for their software, I should assume this is abandonware. The only thing that's a holdout there is that the website is still online.