Comments suggestion

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
SYSTEM

Re: Comments suggestion

#31 Post by SYSTEM »

Andrew Lee wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:19 pm I think we need to nail down on how to present _both_ pinned comments and 10 most recent comments, both of which must be presented before the hidden comments.

Maybe we can have this:

== Top 5 voted comments ==

== Most recent 10 comments ==

== Click to show all comments (most recent first) ==

Any other suggestions?
My suggestion would be this order:
  1. pinned comments
  2. link to show all comments
  3. most recent 10 comments, oldest first
Since the hidden comments would be at the top of the comment section, I think it would make the most sense to have the "show all comments" link above them.

Also, I think the "show all" link should simply revert to the current comment listing, hiding the "pinned comments" list (so that they're simply shown inline according to the time they were sent).
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

billon

#32 Post by billon »

downvoted comments
upvoted comments
What? We should also vote for comments? WTF?
What's wrong with current system? First you see most recent comments, if you want see all - you just click "See all".
Why overcomplicate everything?

webfork

#33 Post by webfork »

billon wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 am What? We should also vote for comments? WTF?
The problem we're trying to solve is lots of old/irrelevant comments. Maybe voting isn't the way to resolve that, it was just an idea that I threw out that Andrew seemed available to.
billon wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 am What's wrong with current system? First you see most recent comments
Well right now you see the very oldest comment first and you have to scroll down to see the newest. Or were you suggesting a different way to show comments? I ask because the suggestion to reverse the comments to newest-first was actually the origin of this thread.

billon

#34 Post by billon »

webfork wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:09 pm now you see the very oldest comment first
You mean from entry's page? You are right.
I meant from main page/search page/any page where you first see just three most recent comments and need to go to entry's page to see all comments.
Maybe revert comments' order from recent to old also on entries' pages? I just think "voting for comments" is too much

Andrew Lee

#35 Post by Andrew Lee »

I think maybe we can go with this approach first:

1. Sort from most recent first
2. Show 10 most recent with link to expand.

This should be quite easy to do, probably only a few hours' work, including test.

If we find that this is not enough, and we need pinned comments, then we can revisit it later. Pinned comments is definitely a lot more work!

Midas

#36 Post by Midas »

Just read through the topic and 1. was my first reflex solution to deal with the issue, so the change gets my support, too. It should still be possible to revert back, IMHO.

OTOH, ranked comments with highlighting and/or threading (a lá Slashdot/Reddit) could be useful enhancements for future consideration instead of pinning.

Andrew Lee

#37 Post by Andrew Lee »

Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:14 pm I think maybe we can go with this approach first:

1. Sort from most recent first
2. Show 10 most recent with link to expand.

This should be quite easy to do, probably only a few hours' work, including test.

If we find that this is not enough, and we need pinned comments, then we can revisit it later. Pinned comments is definitely a lot more work!
All done! Let me know if you find any bugs.

webfork

#38 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:59 pm All done! Let me know if you find any bugs.
Cool, thanks for doing that

vevy

#39 Post by vevy »

Is there a way to get an in-site notification when someone comments on an entry you added or commented on? I am talking mainly about the CLI database since I just found a month-old comment by webfork on grep.

Andrew Lee

#40 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have activated the comments feeds. You can subscribe to the overall comments feed, or the comment feed for individual entries using an RSS reader.

vevy

#41 Post by vevy »

How does one do that? I can only find the regular feed https://feeds.feedburner.com/pfc

Midas

#42 Post by Midas »

vevy wrote:How does one do that?

Subscribe to https://www.portablefreeware.com/ comments/[ENTRY_ID].xml (remove blank & replace bracketed string...)

vevy

#43 Post by vevy »

Midas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:41 am
vevy wrote:How does one do that?

Subscribe to https://www.portablefreeware.com/ comments/[ENTRY_ID].xml (remove blank & replace bracketed string...)
Thanks, but how to subscribe to all comments? Tbh I was just looking for a forum style notification! :D

PS. @Andrew. The links in the feed need "cli."! :mrgreen:

Andrew Lee

#44 Post by Andrew Lee »

vevy wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:57 am Thanks, but how to subscribe to all comments?
There is a little RSS icon to the right of "Recent comments" table. It links to the "All comments" feed.

PS: The same RSS icon is also present in the entry comments section for the "Entry comments" feed.
vevy wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:57 am PS. @Andrew. The links in the feed need "cli."! :mrgreen:
Fixed.

vevy

#45 Post by vevy »

Edit: NVM. Got it working. It was being blocked by a filter.

Thanks