WINK

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
channel

WINK

#1 Post by channel »

I have downloaded Wink ( http://www.debugmode.com/wink ) and I have installed it on mij usb-stick. It works from my stick. Is it Portable ?

Fluffy

#2 Post by Fluffy »

Though it may work on your stick, it writes settings to the registry so when using on another computer you will be reverted to the defaults. By TPFC standards, this means it is not portable.

channel

Thx

#3 Post by channel »

Yhx for the answer :)

zacory

#4 Post by zacory »

Fluffy wrote:Though it may work on your stick, it writes settings to the registry so when using on another computer you will be reverted to the defaults. By TPFC standards, this means it is not portable.

Hi, Fluffy -
Is there an compact free portability tester software at TPFC? Or more softwares under one common GUI? Maybe with such sw could minimize the mistakes... and the database could be even better.... I'm not a programmer, but you know - somekind of portability-diag suite with our standards can boost the site database. What do you think? Or what says redllar?

Fluffy

#5 Post by Fluffy »

zacory wrote:Hi, Fluffy -
Is there an compact free portability tester software at TPFC? Or more softwares under one common GUI? Maybe with such sw could minimize the mistakes... and the database could be even better.... I'm not a programmer, but you know - somekind of portability-diag suite with our standards can boost the site database. What do you think? Or what says redllar?
Well basically, as listed in the FAQ, Regshot and Dependency Walker are our standard apps used for testing portability of applications. Well, at least Andrew uses Dependency Walker, I tend to use SysInternal's Process Explorer to check applications for dependencies (Show Lower Pane > DLL's). When used correctly, these two applications provide you with a very good idea as to what's being altered on your system. When using RegShot, add the following line under Scan dir (and check the box):
C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data;C:\WINDOWS

Unfortunately for those, %appdata% and %windir% will not work.

redllar

#6 Post by redllar »

zacory wrote: Hi, Fluffy -
Hi zacory.

I think this is doable as an option for the portapotty dll, although it wouldn't be bullet-proof given the limitations of how and when the api hooking occurs.

Having PP get the dll list might be a better approach though since it's possible for the combo of Depends + Process Explorer's dll list to miss delay-loaded dlls from some packed exes. I don't think PP can do better than RegShot except maybe it would be a bit easier to use since you wouldn't have to specify what directories to watch for changes in, and there'd be no pre and post run throughs of the file system.

redllar

#7 Post by redllar »

Fluffy wrote:When using RegShot, add the following line under Scan dir (and check the box):
C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data;C:\WINDOWS

Unfortunately for those, %appdata% and %windir% will not work.
I'm surprised there's not a little filter app out there that converts generic special paths into real paths. Let me know if you'd like one and I'll code it up.

TPFC Fan

#8 Post by TPFC Fan »

Hi,
i found a portable version of Wink in the PortableApps.com-forum.
http://portableapps.com/node/3084
Maybe someone could take a look at that.

greets

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

Posted to the database. Thanks!

Wink is a fantastic tool for creating tutorialware. I had the chance to use it once in one of my previous projects and it was quite a joy to work with.

channel

Great !!!

#10 Post by channel »

Hééééé, Great !!! :lol:

technicolordreamcoat

Wink Portable

#11 Post by technicolordreamcoat »

[Moderator note: this post and the two below it were merged to the WINK thread.]

----
Wink Portable is a Tutorial and Presentation creation software, primarily aimed at creating tutorials on how to use software (like a tutor for MS-Word/Excel etc). Using Wink you can capture screenshots, add explanations boxes, buttons, titles etc and generate a highly effective tutorial for your users. Plus, it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on, so you can take your tutorial and presentation application wherever you go.
Homepage:
http://www.tanisthalon.karoo.net/applications.html

usdcs

#12 Post by usdcs »

technicolordreamcoat

#13 Post by technicolordreamcoat »

ooopss

webfork

Re: WINK

#14 Post by webfork »

If someone feels like verifying ChemZ's comment on the Wink post, I'd be happy to update the official entry.
ChemZ wrote:The Softpedia/PortableApps download link doesn't actually contain Wink, just the wrapper/launcher (which you will still need).

As -.- said:

- You need to download Wink from http://www.debugmode.com/wink
- Extract with 7zip or Universal Extractor
- Then copy the contents of $R0 into the App\Wink folder of the wrapper/launcher.

Bit of a hassle but it works. Good luck!

guinness

Re: WINK

#15 Post by guinness »

I verify this works!