wsCryptoPad

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
W-Shadow

wsCryptoPad

#1 Post by W-Shadow »

Synopsis: A (extremely simplistic) text editor that stores the text in it’s own exe-file, compresses that text and optionally encrypts it. 93 KB in size; doesn’t require installation. Uses ZLib for compression and Twofish for encryption.

Writes settings to: It's own exe file.

License: Freeware, source available on website

System Requirements: Any Windows (probably)

Download : http://w-shadow.com/files/wsCryptoPad.exe
More info : http://w-shadow.com/blog/2006/09/02/wsc ... xt-editor/
Source : http://w-shadow.com/files/wsCryptoPad_source.rar

(Yeah, I'm the author of this thingy 8) )

nycjv321

#2 Post by nycjv321 »

its sounds pretty cool but i couldnt try it at my school pc not cuz it was blocked but it doesnt have an icon and u dont have a screen shot (a little weird) but nonetheless i will be glad to use it when i get home!

erazz

Don't like it...

#3 Post by erazz »

Quoted from the site:
What I really do here is create a temporary file in the temporary directory specified by OS settings.
Beyond the "self modification" which I'm not fond of (great way to create viruses) it writes files to the host computer... Not portable IMHO.

W-Shadow

#4 Post by W-Shadow »

I was too lazy to draw an icon, and a screenshot wouldn't be all that exciting/informative anyway (imagine Notepad with only two menus).

W-Shadow

Re: Don't like it...

#5 Post by W-Shadow »

erazz wrote:Quoted from the site:
Beyond the "self modification" which I'm not fond of (great way to create viruses) it writes files to the host computer... Not portable IMHO.
Not so - every Windows PC has a temporary directory used by Windows itself, various setup programs and a lot of other applications too. Besides, the (one) temporary file is deleted when the application is closed.

nycjv321

#6 Post by nycjv321 »

erazz wrote: Beyond the "self modification" which I'm not fond of (great way to create viruses) it writes files to the host computer... Not portable IMHO.
dude do you use portable firefox and john hallers portable app's how do u think "live" works? copys to temp and deletes itself
have you ever used opera portable? the single exe it uses the temp to work then shreds itself when it exits
buts since this app is used for security that really isn't secure anyway unless the .tmp file is shreded when deleted or maybe an option to create the tmp in the exedir?

W-Shadow

#7 Post by W-Shadow »

nycjv321 wrote: (...) buts since this app is used for security that really isn't secure anyway unless the .tmp file is shreded when deleted or maybe an option to create the tmp in the exedir?
The temporary file that is created only contains the executable code, not the data, so it can't accidentally leave your sensitive data on the host PC even if it doesn't get a chance to delete that file (forcibly terminated or similar). The data is not physically copied anywhere, it is only loaded from/saved to the original file.