XMPlay - audio player

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
the_watcher

XMPlay - audio player

#1 Post by the_watcher » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:01 am

[Moderator note: this is the primary XMPlay program thread. View database entry]

----

XMPlay 3.5 released
Adds crossfading, AIFF support, track rating, some track searching enhancements, some Replaygain enhancements, and a bunch of other stuff. See the "readme" for a full list.

I've tried to add it to the database. I couldn't find out how to add the "what's new" section though...

guinness

Re: XMPlay v3.5

#2 Post by guinness » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:19 am

It was already in the database http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=567. Because of your user level you can only edit an entry after 50 posts or more. Therefore adding an update in this forum will make sure that those who have access will edit the entry on your behalf.

I would have overwritten your new entry with IdleBackup, but there is an error with the Edit function.
Note: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1603 is a duplicate entry.
Added 179 Applications: Portable

the_watcher

#3 Post by the_watcher » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:00 am

and i can't delete it, too...

i realised something was wrong, but now that i know i don't have the rights to edit yet, i'll be more careful...

thank you , guinness

joby_toss

Re: XMPlay v3.8

#4 Post by joby_toss » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:59 am

3.8 - 23/12/2013
----------------
* Separation of tracks into individual subsongs/cues, and unseparation back the other way
* Subsong info added to library ("subsongs" column) and track info window
* Random playback mode can be applied to subsongs too
* "%subsong" and "%subsongs" search term options added
* Support for tag names in search terms
* Playlist processing of CUE files
* Support for remarks in CUE files
* Soundtracker MOD support
* Looped OGG support
* Loop limiting by playback time
* "Go to time" shortcut to jump to a time position (aka "jump to time")
* Selection extension page up/down shortcuts
* Quicker access to file writing options via track right-click menu
* Support for "Content-Disposition" header filename when saving a streamed file
* "Year" track info replaced/expanded to "Date"
* Option to have XMPlay in both the taskbar and tray
* Taskbar title scrolling
* Option to replace the playlist when playing tracks from the library
* Track info option added to info window right-click menu
* Info window height limit for auto-resizing
* Archive file URLs will have all of their contents added to the playlist when opened
* Improved support for drag'n'dropping between the playlist and library and other XMPlay instances
* Extended playlist filename display mode can optionally include the full paths
* "closetrack" and "closelist" command-line options to close at the end of the track or playlist
* Automatic use of the backup if the library file gets corrupted
* Option to apply title formatting to Winamp plugins removed (now always on)
* ZIP plugin added to the XMPlay package
* Skinning enhancements including alpha channel support (see skinning kit)

Checker

Re: XMPlay v3.8.0.1

#5 Post by Checker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:48 am

XMPlay is v3.8.0.1 :!:

- Fix: Didn't play OGG streams.

Checker

XMPlay v3.8.0.5

#6 Post by Checker » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:12 am

XMPlay is v3.8.0.5 :!:

webfork

#7 Post by webfork » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:31 pm

This post is replying to comments in the entry...
lautrepay wrote:There's no mention that XMPlay is natively portable (with the flaws mentioned in the thread), there's a note alerting for problems that the PortableApps version is supposed to solve
I don't know if you or the other the recent comment posters read the whole thread or not, but I spent a bunch of time on an entry that nobody cared about. If you go back and look, you can witness first hand the complete lack of response for a month between June and July. Now 6 months later, it's suddenly a big indignity that this entry doesn't list the native version?
lautrepay wrote:A problem that doesn't affect me because I don't use XMPlay's library nor I use it from external devices. So it's 100% functional for me.
I'm fine with listing the native version as an alternative, but I strongly advise against switching back to a version that's going to be broken for any users who were expecting portable to extend to the program itself and not just the settings. If it were me, the first time I had to re-add my entire music library, I'd immediately dump the program for something else.

Before you ask: yes, at least one user here has a player on the same drive as their music collection. I have one setup on a drive where I store all my music. I'm not saying I'm representative of all our visitors, but I think I can safely say it's more than one.
lautrepay wrote:the instructions do not correspond with the PAF package.
Yep, that one is on me. Fixed.

lautrepay

#8 Post by lautrepay » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:08 pm

It is not a matter of "big indignity", but the need of ensuring consistency between the database entries.
For years XMPlay had a public entrey on this site and, if you read the comments, you'll see that the users were very, very satisfied with the application, with very little complains regarding problems with the library path.
But then, after the release of the PortableApps.com version, the program is suddenly so broken that its native portability does not even deserve a mention? It is not coherent.
I still think that the library function is a secondary one, and we should follow with what have been the rule: the natively portable application with the main spot, and the portabilized versions listed as alternatives.
If not, we will have to start a purge in the database, and the first candidate is Process Explorer, an all time favorite of TPFC users: it's not stealth, not even portable. Why not just drop it out in favor of the PortableApps.com Version, that keeps the settings and is stealth?

Midas

#9 Post by Midas » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:10 am

@lautrepay: excellent points -- although I have no easy answers... :mrgreen:

webfork

#10 Post by webfork » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:43 pm

I think the primary reason NOT to use PortableApps programs is that we don't want to just duplicate the PortableApps website here. That's a rationale SYSTEM made a while back on the "What to list first and why" thread and I still think it makes sense. The reason to list a PA program where there's a native alternative is usually one of two reasons:
  1. Lack of involvement/interest (it's what got added first, nobody feels like changing it)
  2. When the main program is broken, as with the VLC situation (viewtopic.php?t=7519).
Stealth status generally doesn't affect the native version getting primary status. If VLC ever brings back portable functionality (or XMPlay fixes the path/drive portability issue), I'll happily switch it back.
lautrepay wrote:the program is suddenly so broken that its native portability does not even deserve a mention? ... if you read the comments, you'll see that the users were very, very satisfied with the application, with very little complains regarding problems with the library path.
I left it off for two reasons:
  • Nobody seemed to care.
  • When I list the native version, it's going to be with the disclaimer like "no drive letter/path portability" right next to the PA version "fixes drive letter/path portabiltiy". Most users that don't have feelings about PA already will likely go with the former.
That said, having had several minor problems with PA programs since then, I'm definitely fine with including the native version as the alternative.
lautrepay wrote:we will have to start a purge in the database, and the first candidate is Process Explorer
I also want to ensure consistency among database entries for Process Explorer (if it's portability really is broken -- I haven't looked at it) or any other program. What I'm saying here is that this does follow a protocol. If I do this one differently, then that marks a policy change. It's one I disagree with but if that's what the site wants, that's what I'll do from now on.

webfork

#11 Post by webfork » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:06 pm

webfork wrote:I'm definitely fine with including the native version as the alternative.
Whatever's decided here, I just added the native XMPlay version.

DarkShadow

#12 Post by DarkShadow » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:40 am

If it's the PAs version, why does the db entry say "path portability: no" ?

SYSTEM

#13 Post by SYSTEM » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:25 am

DarkShadow wrote:If it's the PAs version, why does the db entry say "path portability: no" ?
Good catch. I changed it to "Automatic relative path".
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:58 am

22 Dec 2015
XMPlay 3.8.2 released
un4seen wrote:Adds support for HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) streams, RF64 files, and large (over 4GB) files.

Checker

#15 Post by Checker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:44 pm

@joby_toss: Cool, thanks :D

I like the new way the 'skin-selection' is organized now.
Attachments
XMPlay.png