Is this a good idea or not? (USB dynamic compression/decom)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
stanmarsh

Is this a good idea or not? (USB dynamic compression/decom)

#1 Post by stanmarsh »

Hello,

i like to ask for you opinion on this idea to minimize wear-tear of the usb dongles, as well as for speed improvements. the idea is to use archive (zip,sfx) to move files back and forth, it goes like this:

a. if its a folder, the program would archive it and move it back to your usb
b. if its an archive, the program would unzip it and move it from the usb to the desktop

example
1. you insert the usb, you start the program, the program then extract the program to the desktop.
2. in the desktop, you can start the applications there, the Program is still active in the background.
3. once you are done using your application, you can call the program again, then it would archive the folder and move it back to the usb dongle.

cheers

m^(2)

Re: Is this a good idea or not?

#2 Post by m^(2) »

1. Terrible startup performance.
2. Even worse closing performance. If used w/out care (unplug too early etc.), could cause data corruption.

3. Saves space.
4. Reduces wear, but there are very few apps that do many writes.
5. In some cases better startup performance from optical discs.

Possibly there are some apps, where it would be worthwhile, but I think that in great majority of cases it's a very bad idea because of pt. 1.
However, if you want to do it anyway, I can suggest DAR. It can make incremental updates and will save only the files that actually changed and therefore reduce problems with pt. 2.

EDIT: I reread your post...and noticed that you want to save changes manually. Don't you think it would be much better if launcher waited for program closing and save them automatically?

stanmarsh

Re: Is this a good idea or not?

#3 Post by stanmarsh »

thanks m^2 for the opinion and suggestion!