DragTargets [discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
-.-

DragTargets [discontinued]

#1 Post by -.- »

http://www.freewarefiles.com/DragTarget ... 52611.html
its like Lupo's DropIt but I think this was made first lol, I like it a little bit better for the layout/ease of use

edit: the newest verison is 2.4 but I dont have link for it so you'll have to download 2.0 then update it :S

author's site http://chesterway.co.uk/ is weird.

Lupo73

Re: DragTargets

#2 Post by Lupo73 »

You could find it before make me develop DropIt :P

Here I have found the version 2.3
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Fil ... gets.shtml

Lupo73

#3 Post by Lupo73 »

If you download the version 2.3 and check for updates, the software allow you to download the last version 2.4

I tested it: I could think to implement some of its features, if you like. It is easier to use than DropIt, but I think a little more limited because doesn't create patterns (that was the first purpose of DropIt) but only place files in the folder you drop on.
The idea of DropIt is that if you drop on it a folder that contains 5 mp3 and 3 jpg, songs are placed in a folder and images in another.

And don't forget that now DropIt is open source too. :lol:

-.-

#4 Post by -.- »

yeah dropit has different purpose :D

but I like this one because I can download everything to one folder then use it to move things to other folders, dropit would seperate everything by file type :D

donald

#5 Post by donald »

-.-
In the event you mean you might want to move an entire folder without changing its contents.
dropit would separate everything by file type
Dropit also supports moving whole folders intact using the extension for folders (**) an example would be **=\Documents

So if you want to move an entire folder and keep its contents as is just set the extension and file path.

To move just the contents, when entire folder is moved, just use highlight drag and drop or ctrl A and drag and drop.

Lupo73
Is it possible or useful to consider paste and or copy to your application target?
Probably not possible? but well ...

Thanks Lupo73
Last edited by donald on Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

I prefer DropIt for the fact that it has a website you can clearly see the updates instead of having to view unofficial sources.

-.-

#7 Post by -.- »

donald yeah i know dropit moves folders but not to different spots :D
like I have 1 school folder and 1 work, and I want to move one to USB and the other to share documents from the desktop, dropit wont do that unless I havent found it :D

guiness, you can set move/copy in the settings for file types

donald

dropit

#8 Post by donald »

I can see how it would be good with a lot of files of one type being sorted, though I do not use patterns to sort my files.

For folders to be sorted you need to set a pattern rule by name here are some rules from my ini file.
cheezeburgers**=\Documents\Pictures
hotdogs**=\Documents\Pictures
Homework**=\Documents
**=\Documents
The double asterisk is the extension for folders.

If you understand patterning you could set it to find all folders of a particular name and maybe sort using a name as part of the name (mickey-mouse sorted because of mouse), this can even sort folders that are not specified (named) while still sorting named folders into a special drop point though it asks you to select a pattern to use for the file type..

Click on Manage then Rules, and a list of pattern rules will be shown I just found this, though Lupo73 has probably mentioned it before.
Supported pattern rules for files:
*.zip = all files with "zip" extension
Penguin.* = all files named "Penguin"
Penguin*.* = all files that begins with "Penguin"
*Penguin.* = all files that end with "Penguin"
*Penguin* = all files that contain "Penguin"

Supported rules for folders:
robot.* = all folders named "robot"
robot*.* = all folders that begins with "robot"
*robot.* = all folders that end with "robot"
*robot* = all folders that contain "robot"

(add "$" at the end of the pattern to create an exclusion rule)
I am not certain how to produce an exclusion rule.

I am hoping that using an exclusion rule I could avoid having to select a pattern, and still have folders that are not set for a destination by name to a general location for unnamed (in the patterns) folders.

Lupo73

#9 Post by Lupo73 »

This is an example of exclusion pattern: *.txt$
If you add it and then drop a folder that contains some txt files and some files with other formats, txt are skipped and only other formats are processed.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: I can't seem to find this program anywhere. Assuming it still works in Win10, does anyone have a copy of this somewhere?

juverax

#11 Post by juverax »

The author of dragtargets has also developed imgpark ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22299&p=100186&hili ... rk#p100186 )

The author replies to emails.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

juverax wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:15 pm The author of dragtargets has also developed imgpark ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22299&p=100186&hili ... rk#p100186 )

The author replies to emails.
Thanks, I saw that but it didn't seem like a live email address. Author contacted.

Midas

#13 Post by Midas »

@webfork: Although you have already tested it in the past, I have a hunch QuickWayToFolders (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1630) may be forced into doing your bidding -- namely through its "small browser" functionality. Don't ask me how, though... :|

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:28 am @webfork: Although you have already tested it in the past, I have a hunch QuickWayToFolders (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1630) may be forced into doing your bidding -- namely through its "small browser" functionality. Don't ask me how, though... :|
It takes some doing and I had to setup a separate folder with various different symbolic links but it definitely works well to help organize things:

View of shortcuts (I drag-and-drop files into these folder)

Here's the config I used to maintain a local sorting folder inside the QuickWayToFolders application directory:

Options configuration

To be clear QuickWayToFolders is VERY configurable and by no means the only way to set this up -- I'm just taking a route to try and mirror the useful functions of DragTargets. Thanks Midas.