DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
webfork

Re: DropIt

#1501 Post by webfork » Sat May 23, 2020 7:59 pm

fdbryant3 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 pm
Is it possible to have Dropit parse a filename and add that information to an Excel spreadsheet?
If not I'd appreciate suggestions or tool recommendations to do this. Thanks.
You might look into RoboIntern for this.

rojdropit

#1502 Post by rojdropit » Fri May 29, 2020 4:50 pm

Hey all, just found this and wondered whether it could solve my (easy) problem, I'm thinking of using this as a pretty front-end to some a command_line only program.

What I want to do is pass *ALL* the dropped files to one command. That's how the program works. That's all I need it to do. The parameter would need to be able to be changed if needed.

For example:

myprogram.exe -a_parameter file1 file2 file3 fileX

I can only see that it can pass individual files sequentially

myprogram.exe -a_parameter file1
myprogram.exe -a_parameter file2
myprogram.exe -a_parameter file3

Am I missing something? Or does anyone have any tips for another simple and pretty (like dropit) program launcher, I currently use a .bat script that I can drop files on but that is UGLY (and non-floating). I've tried FileMenuTools, which is fine, but not very portable.

kirsty

#1503 Post by kirsty » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:50 am

This is exactly the same thing I came here to ask.

I need to use the Open With action to pass all dropped files in one action instead of running the action once for each file. So if I drop three files, I need the program to run:

Code: Select all

myprogram.exe "path\file1.ext" "path\file2.ext" "path\file3.ext"
instead of:

Code: Select all

myprogram.exe "path\file1.ext"
myprogram.exe "path\file2.ext"
myprogram.exe "path\file3.ext"

cahical

#1504 Post by cahical » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:54 am

Dear Forum,
I am using DropIt tool to perform one click action - move selected files to a pre-defined destination. But I would like to also change file permission - make files READ ONLY - before moving them.
Therefore my question is - How to perform two sequential actions actions on the same files with a single click ?
I know that it is possible to create two profiles in DropIt - first profile to change file permission and - second to move files. But, I would like to achieve two actions sequentially with in a single profile, like a pipe.
Thanks, cahical

rudymm

#1505 Post by rudymm » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:32 am

hello, so i was wondering if there was anyway to extract an archive with the extracted file renamed to match the name of the archive. for example "archive.zip" has a file named "file.dat" and i want it extracted so it ends up being "archive.dat". basically, i have a directory with many zip files and i need to extract them all, and have their file names match the name of the zip file while retaining their own extension. is there a way to automate this using Dropit? I apologize if this seems pedestrian, but i don't have much if any experience with this sort of thing. thanks for any help in advance!

rudy

vevy

#1506 Post by vevy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:45 pm

rudymm wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:32 am
hello, so i was wondering if there was anyway to extract an archive with the extracted file renamed to match the name of the archive. for example "archive.zip" has a file named "file.dat" and i want it extracted so it ends up being "archive.dat". basically, i have a directory with many zip files and i need to extract them all, and have their file names match the name of the zip file while retaining their own extension. is there a way to automate this using Dropit? I apologize if this seems pedestrian, but i don't have much if any experience with this sort of thing. thanks for any help in advance!

rudy
A couple of quick questions:
  • Do you have to do this with DropIt? If yes, don't bother with the rest of the questions!
  • Is this a one-time thing or do you expect to have to do this periodically? I think I may be able to stitch together a working solution, but to be honest, it probably won't be the most efficient. I have a lot on my plate currently.
  • Do you have to do it with the built-in windows tools or are you open to using third-party tools?
I do NOT have other accounts.