DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
mgerity

Re: DropIt

#1441 Post by mgerity »

Okay, so I've come across another issue with a FirstFileContentDate format that isn't being recognized. These particular docs always put a period at the end of a 3-letter month, so Jan. Feb. Mar. etc. So, a full example would be:

Aug. 14, 2017

The alpha month designations in my settings file mostly look like this:

MonthJan=Jan[[:alpha:]]*

That isn't catching these months. I'm pretty sure it's that period after the month that's causing the problem, but maybe I'm wrong.

mandarin

Dropit - Renaming Using File Content

#1442 Post by mandarin »

Hi, is there a way to use a field in the file content in the renaming? I have looked to see if there are any posts on this topic but have not found anything.

TE7

DropIt - Move subfolder

#1443 Post by TE7 »

I had dropit on my old laptop and it worked great for many years to the point that I forgot about it.
Laptop hard disk crashed and I installed the latest version. Now, for some reason I am unable to recreate simple settings that I used to have.
I need to move subfolders to another location. Subfolders are automatically created by another application and I need to move them to the network drive.
I have 3 levels of folders and I need to move the last level only. My issue is that level 2 and level 3 folders are moved.

For example:

C:\folder1\folder2\folder3 Move Folder3 only and its content to the network drive Z:\ so final result looks line Z:\Folder3

In my case I always get result Z:\Folder2\Folder3

Any help would be really appreciated.

cghera

#1444 Post by cghera »

Hello,
I want to use drop it to move specific file types from the Downloads folder to a subfolder\Date (e.g. all .EAR files to EARS\2018-06-13 folder)
I followed your wiki and suggestions http://www.dropitproject.com/dokuwiki/d ... an_folders
but when I download a file a get a message that the file exists in destination directory. The first time the source is shown as 0KB and the second as normal file size.
Other times the pop freezes and even if I choose overwrite or skip it never closes and I need to kill the app using task manager.
I am attaching the settings screenshots.
What am I doing wrong? I use firefox to download files.
Attachments
associations.png
associations.png (9.71 KiB) Viewed 103332 times
dropit monitoring.png
dropit options.png

TE7

Re: DropIt - Move subfolder

#1445 Post by TE7 »

TE7 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:16 pm I had dropit on my old laptop and it worked great for many years to the point that I forgot about it.
Laptop hard disk crashed and I installed the latest version. Now, for some reason I am unable to recreate simple settings that I used to have.
I need to move subfolders to another location. Subfolders are automatically created by another application and I need to move them to the network drive.
I have 3 levels of folders and I need to move the last level only. My issue is that level 2 and level 3 folders are moved.

For example:

C:\folder1\folder2\folder3 Move Folder3 only and its content to the network drive Z:\ so final result looks line Z:\Folder3

In my case I always get result Z:\Folder2\Folder3

Any help would be really appreciated.
I installed portable version 7.0 (replaced numbers in current download link) and it works as expected using the same settings.
I'm not sure if something changed in functinality or this is a bug. Either way I'm happy now having Dropit woring the way it sed to be.

petersh

#1446 Post by petersh »

I am running DropIt on Win 7 pro.
Normally I run the program to upload my files.
Today I found that I can't see any DropIt window after opening it.
I see the program on the task manager. I ended it and open DropIt again but it still not show.
What can I do now?

Acromark

#1447 Post by Acromark »

Hi All,

I have searched for this so I hope it hasn't been asked before.

A customer of ours scans a lot of documents to PDF. All of which have a barcode in the top left corner. They need some software which will read the barcode and then rename the PDF file with the barcode as well as the current date.

DropIt looks like a great program to use but it seems to be lacking the barcode option, unless I have missed it.

Would it be possible to do this?

Thanks for your time

Mark

mgerity

#1448 Post by mgerity »

mgerity wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:35 am Okay, so I've come across another issue with a FirstFileContentDate format that isn't being recognized. These particular docs always put a period at the end of a 3-letter month, so Jan. Feb. Mar. etc. So, a full example would be:

Aug. 14, 2017

The alpha month designations in my settings file mostly look like this:

MonthJan=Jan[[:alpha:]]*

That isn't catching these months. I'm pretty sure it's that period after the month that's causing the problem, but maybe I'm wrong.
I've finally solved my own problem. I thought that adding |%MONTH_LITERAL% *. +%DAY% *, *%YEAR% to the end of the settings file would get it to recognize the periods, but that didn't work. I finally went through each and every alpha month designation and added |Jan. to January, then |Feb. to February, etc. So, my month designations went from how they appeared in my prior post to:

MonthJan=Jan[[:alpha:]]*|Jan.

That did the trick.

mgerity

#1449 Post by mgerity »

My number one request for a feature enhancement to DropIt would be to allow for it to use a file content date OTHER THAN the first one. I have a number of documents (paychecks and bank/credit card statements in particular) where the first date in the file is the start date of the period, but it makes more sense to name the file with the end date or the check date, which are usually the second or third file content dates.

Is there any way to add SecondFileContentDate and SecondFileContentDateNormalized, or handle it the same way as the other FileContentMatch commands are handled, with numbers designating the incidence (FileContentDate1, FileContentDate2, etc)?

divinity666

#1450 Post by divinity666 »

@Aegidius:

Welcome and thank you using DropIt!
Aegidius wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:46 am I'm new to Dropit and I'm experiencing some problems moving or renaming files to a different location.
Specifically, DropIt correctly identifies a file I want to move, and correctly constructs the desired destination, but DropIt reports that the operation failed, with no further information.
Unfortunately the error messages and the log files aren't much helpful... Could you please provide the association configuration, which is causing the issue (best from your profile.ini)?

Thanks and best regards
divinity666

divinity666

#1451 Post by divinity666 »

@Swart7

Welcome and thanks for using DropIt.
Swart7 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:25 am I would like to know if it is possible to copy (or move) folders based on the amount of files they contain? E.g. I have: Folder 1 (2 Files), Folder 2 (5 Files), Folder 3 (1 File). Files 1 and 2 need to be moved to another location, because they contain more than one file. File 3 needs to remain where it is, because it only contains 1 file.
I am not 100% sure, if I got it right. So, you want to perform an action based on the amount of files included. To be honest: I cannot imagine, how this could be achieved. Do you have the option to move based on something else?

Best regards
divinity666

divinity666

Re: Dropit - Renaming Using File Content

#1452 Post by divinity666 »

@mandarin

Also welcome to you and warm thanks for using DropIt.
mandarin wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:53 am Hi, is there a way to use a field in the file content in the renaming? I have looked to see if there are any posts on this topic but have not found anything.
Could you please provide what you want to achieve? There are several things that could be done, ranging from user input to file content matches.

Best regards
divinity666

divinity666

Re: DropIt - Move subfolder

#1453 Post by divinity666 »

@TE7

Welcome and thanks for working with DropIt that long and hopefully you keep continuing doing so!
TE7 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:16 pm I installed portable version 7.0 (replaced numbers in current download link) and it works as expected using the same settings.
I'm not sure if something changed in functinality or this is a bug. Either way I'm happy now having Dropit woring the way it sed to be.
To be honest, I can't tell you either. Could you provide your profile.ini with your applying ruleset? Then I could try checking that out.

Best regards
divinity666

divinity666

#1454 Post by divinity666 »

@cghera

Welcome and thanks for using DropIt!
cghera wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:08 am but when I download a file a get a message that the file exists in destination directory. The first time the source is shown as 0KB and the second as normal file size.
I checked this one and you are completely right. This is a bug within DropIt. I already fixed it and we will include it in the next release.

Best regards
divinity666

divinity666

#1455 Post by divinity666 »

@petersh

Welcome in the forum and thanks for using DropIt.
petersh wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:58 am I am running DropIt on Win 7 pro.
Today I found that I can't see any DropIt window after opening it.
I see the program on the task manager. I ended it and open DropIt again but it still not show.
What can I do now?
That sounds weird. I did never face this issue. Maybe you could try using the compatibility mode. Give it a try and let me know, if it helps.

Thanks and best regards
divinity666