CCleaner Portable

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: CCleaner Portable

#31 Post by webfork »

ashghost wrote:Yeah, I was thinking the "download the zip, but if the zip isn't available yet download and extract the exe..." would remain as the instructions -- unless they start releasing the zip at the same time again, or stop releasing it entirely.
Yeah we might just list both operations. I didn't think of that...

lintalist

#32 Post by lintalist »

Just a heads up for those using CCleaner (I don't and wouldn't)
CCleaner update introduces Privacy options @ Ghacks wrote:Privacy settings are unavailable for Free users as we do not collect any personal identifiable information, so Free users are essentially anonymous.
Third party analytics – when we share your data with a third party for analytics, such as purchase optimization, crash reporting, and trend analytics. Note, all free users and paid customers can choose to turn of this feature.
Source: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/24/cclea ... y-options/

SYSTEM

#33 Post by SYSTEM »

The portable version of CCleaner 5.43.6522 is now available: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#34 Post by webfork »

lintalist wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:38 pm Ghacks"]Third party analytics
As the program itself is under the "privacy tool" category that's ... a concern. I've added a note to the entry.

lintalist

#35 Post by lintalist »

And now with ads https://www.ghacks.net/2018/06/28/cclea ... ng-popups/ keeps getting better and better for sure :mrgreen:

Midas

#36 Post by Midas »

Betanews says it squarely:
OTOH, PAFuser reports in entry's comments he was able to block ads via the Windows firewall. One post above, agam says last version not connecting to Internet is 5.40.6411 (dated 2018-02-07)...

So all former Piriform products should next be marked as adware, maybe? :?

billon

#37 Post by billon »

https://www.ccleaner.com/news/release-announcements/2018/7/24/ccleaner-v5456611/ wrote: Legal
  • Added a check to prevent the use of the application in embargoed countries
Amazing! :mrgreen:

Special

#38 Post by Special »

Better that then getting sued. What I find funny is that arne't backing down and instead just digging their grave deeper.

Napiophelios

#39 Post by Napiophelios »

Special wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:04 pm Better that then getting sued. What I find funny is that arne't backing down and instead just digging their grave deeper.
can't put them in the grave so long as they still have a heart beat :mrgreen:

Special

#40 Post by Special »

Midas

#41 Post by Midas »

Maybe not...
Armed with only the names and locations of shops where purchases took place, and the approximate dates and purchase amounts, De Montjoye was able to identify 94% of people by looking at just three transactions.
'Data is a fingerprint': why you aren't as anonymous as you think online

Special

#42 Post by Special »

What does that have to do with the topic at CCleaner I posted? His first point says that we'll have control over what is being sent, all, some or none, so if it can be complete turned off then none of this backlash would have started in the first place.

Midas

#43 Post by Midas »

I thought that would be clear: as the article pinpoints, most "anonymized" data can easily be traced back to individual users, so Piriform's claims don't hold much water to me. But if my post offends you in any way, I'll gladly move it elsewhere.

smaragdus

Re: CCleaner

#44 Post by smaragdus »

gHacks - Dont install or upgrade to CCleaner 5.45, for me the last tolerable version of CCleaner is 4.19.4867. Those who still insist on using it after Piriform was acquired by Avast are masochists who deserve no respect (the same applies for those who use Windows 10), all Avast products are indisputably adware and spyware.

Special

#45 Post by Special »

@Midas
Naw, it's all good, it doesn't offend me, it just didn't make much sense to me to bring that point up to my response about how they were back-pedaling and "removing" their "spying", but you still bring up a good point that "anonymized" data is just PR speak nowadays anyway.