Blueberry

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Williscool

Blueberry

#1 Post by Williscool »

This program is absoultely awesome. Its an open source three demensional shell replacement program. Its runs without an install so im pretty sure it will work.

It is also underdeveloped so im hoping that a listing here could bring it some recognition because it really has alot of potential because it gets the job done with very minimal impact on performance.

Take a look.

http://blueberry.sourceforge.net/

Fluffy

#2 Post by Fluffy »

Personal opinion here. I never understood why people were so amazed by a 3D approach to a shell. It's a foolish idea since we're still dealing with 2D technology, as we still have to interact with the interface on a level of 2 dimensions, not 3. Thus, it just makes for more work than is really necessary since we are not able to take full advantage of the 3rd dimension as a part of our interface, we're forced to use a kind of "trick" (in this case, the popular FPS interface). I'd rather windows+R, c:\windows\fonts than walk over to my fonts directory.

With this in mind, I don't see how it shows any promise as a viable shell solution. However, the author has stated that it's a learning experience for him, so I hope that he's trying to learn the methods of coding a game, not trying to figure out how to make a good 3D interface for a computer. There's a lot of disappointment there if he is.

This probably falls under my category as it's more of a game than anything else so I'll take a look at it later, but as I've already stated elsewhere, shells are not portable by nature. bblean is an interesting exception as it's able to run over the top of Explorer, but this is far from common in the shell world (at least with the degree of functionality that bblean retains without a noticeable loss of performance). Don't get your hopes up.

gp_hbk

#3 Post by gp_hbk »

Fluffy wrote:Personal opinion here. I never understood why people were so amazed by a 3D approach to a shell. It's a foolish idea since we're still dealing with 2D technology, as we still have to interact with the interface on a level of 2 dimensions, not 3. Thus, it just makes for more work than is really necessary since we are not able to take full advantage of the 3rd dimension as a part of our interface, we're forced to use a kind of "trick" (in this case, the popular FPS interface). I'd rather windows+R, c:\windows\fonts than walk over to my fonts directory.
It is true how anyone gets excited whenever a 3D tag is seen. Still, I don't think it's a bad idea trying to have a 3-Dimensional shell replacement.

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

It's not a bad idea but it's not necessarily a good one either. I can only imagine how horribly inefficient it would be, even for simple tasks such as moving and copying files.

I think that a 3D OS shell would be more useful/fun for kids and novice users, unless you can hook me up to some brain-to-digital convertor, in which case it might be viable.

Williscool

#5 Post by Williscool »

I see what you mean from a practical stand point, but come on, this could turn out to be a lot fun...

:idea: Like what if you could get a plugin that would have you randomly having to fight stuff to out of no where. Wouldn't that be awesome?! you're opening the latest can of spam (email) and then out of no where :shock: you have to save your desktop from *insert you favorite evil game characters*. 8)

And you could theme different folders (rooms) after you favorite things and even hang pictures from your computer in them...

I got all kind of crazy ideas for it and you could do whatever you wanted :mrgreen:

And it runs on top of explorer just like bb so its not like you couldn't cut it off. It would just be a fun way to liven up your desktop when you've got nothing better to do. :D no :?:

gp_hbk

#6 Post by gp_hbk »

Williscool wrote:I see what you mean from a practical stand point, but come on, this could turn out to be a lot fun...

:idea: Like what if you could get a plugin that would have you randomly having to fight stuff to out of no where. Wouldn't that be awesome?! you're opening the latest can of spam (email) and then out of no where :shock: you have to save your desktop from *insert you favorite evil game characters*. 8)

And you could theme different folders (rooms) after you favorite things and even hang pictures from your computer in them...

I got all kind of crazy ideas for it and you could do whatever you wanted :mrgreen:

And it runs on top of explorer just like bb so its not like you couldn't cut it off. It would just be a fun way to liven up your desktop when you've got nothing better to do. :D no :?:
I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon :lol:
It does seem to be portable though.