Good audio manager?

Any other tech-related topics
garbanzo

Re: Good audio manager?

#16 Post by garbanzo »

no, facets only works with defaultui.

there was a time when default was pretty crap, and panels was the way to go. then panels died, and columns took over. but in recent months, the team had really upped the ante with default, and it's looking quite good. i have played around with columns and created a decent config back in my xp days (http://garbanzox.deviantart.com/art/b0s ... d-99222790), but now, i just work with default. it's easy to sort out, and it blends right on in with the standard windows UI, instead of clashing with it horribly. i never understood why anyone would want their music player to look different from the rest of the apps they use...

m^(2)

#17 Post by m^(2) »

garbanzo wrote:no, facets only works with defaultui.

there was a time when default was pretty crap, and panels was the way to go. then panels died, and columns took over. but in recent months, the team had really upped the ante with default, and it's looking quite good. i have played around with columns and created a decent config back in my xp days (http://garbanzox.deviantart.com/art/b0s ... d-99222790), but now, i just work with default. it's easy to sort out, and it blends right on in with the standard windows UI, instead of clashing with it horribly. i never understood why anyone would want their music player to look different from the rest of the apps they use...
I still find the default one to be very bad and though facets are great, it's much to little to make me use it.
Skins...you asked a good question. I don't know why do I want it to be skinned either. I used to use non-skinned app whenever they offer such option...the only exceptions are Miranda and foobar.
For Miranda I even made a skin (but never finished, I still use it though).
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that that both are very ugly by default?

joby_toss

#18 Post by joby_toss »

Has any of you already tried Songbird ?
I am seeing bits of infos about it all over the net and was wondering how it compares to Foobar.

m^(2)

#19 Post by m^(2) »

joby_toss wrote:Has any of you already tried Songbird ?
I am seeing bits of infos about it all over the net and was wondering how it compares to Foobar.
I did. Has great potential, but it's too young and has too few addons, you can't exploit it's great flexibility.
It's slow and I bet that well customized will be much worse, just like Firefox.
Also, I find it's web integration kida scary, there's too much of it and I feel my control over it is very weak. That's a major privacy / security issue.

m^(2)

#20 Post by m^(2) »

As I said earlier, I needed to change some formats in order to make them easier for foobar. I didn't want to make any mistake, so I kept planning until today.
And I don't know how, I don't know when I corrupted my metadata. :o
I had (OK, not so good) scheme:
Date=release date
Original Date=1st release date

Original Date is a standard MediaMonkey field, but it's saved in tags as <ORIGINAL YEAR> and as one could guess, month and day aren't saved there (but only in the database).
Not having it in tag wasn't a problem for conversion because I had directory structure like:
Album_Artist\Original_Date Album\[5.1\][if TotalDiscs>1 then DiscNo]TrackNo Title
As you can see, Original Date is there and I intended to retrieve it. But when I came to doing this, I found that none track would have it changed. Inspection revealed that some tracks don't have it at all, while others (as far as I can see) have it trimmed to year only (though I'm sure they had full date before), some (few) have full dates, but I don't want to trust they are 1st release dates, I have to inspect everything manually. :(

garbanzo

#21 Post by garbanzo »

foobar can take some getting used to :)

before you start a full manual inspection, open your library up in mp3tag to see if the tags are visible there. if so, you can transfer them to another space. if not, then i guess you have some work to do!

setting up custom tags is fully possible in foobar, just keep in mind that like media monkey's custom tags, they probably won't translate well to other apps. also, be careful using foobar to tag your tracks, it tends to write things in a way that other apps really dislike. i use mp3tag for most tagging, then once my tracks are in foobar, i finish up there with my custom "foobar only" tags.

m^(2)

#22 Post by m^(2) »

garbanzo wrote:foobar can take some getting used to :)

before you start a full manual inspection, open your library up in mp3tag to see if the tags are visible there. if so, you can transfer them to another space. if not, then i guess you have some work to do!

setting up custom tags is fully possible in foobar, just keep in mind that like media monkey's custom tags, they probably won't translate well to other apps. also, be careful using foobar to tag your tracks, it tends to write things in a way that other apps really dislike. i use mp3tag for most tagging, then once my tracks are in foobar, i finish up there with my custom "foobar only" tags.
MediaMonkey didn't save full 1st release date in tags, but I checked anyway: no wonder, they are not there.
I don't really care if other apps like it's tags or not, as long as I have a consistent scheme, I can change it if I need to.

ashghost

#23 Post by ashghost »

J. River Media Jukebox is decent - I had it installed and used it for much of 2009. Contrary to your "get it while it's hot" exhortation, jhonsadins, version 12 has been free for a long time. More importantly, it crashed on me from time to time and it hasn't been updated in years (Media Center is on version 15). The only reason I stuck with it for months was that I wanted my audio collection player/manager to also download and manage podcasts well (honestly, why is that so impossible?).

wolfie

#24 Post by wolfie »

Hello, I know this is a very old thread, but I was wondering if anyone here can help...

Does anyone here by any chance have a copy of the old freeware J.River Media Jukebox 12.0.534 in your archives?

Note, I am looking for this specific version (12.0.534), NOT the latest v14.0.166 which removed some nice features from 12.0.534.

I have already looked in https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Old_Versions, but that only has v8 and v14 of the freeware Media Jukebox, the other links are for the shareware Media Center.

Thanks for any help!

dhuro99

#25 Post by dhuro99 »

I've been using MusicBee for a while now, and it's been pretty reliable for me. It has a good set of features and a nice interface. Plus, it's free!