Software promotions

Any other tech-related topics
Specular

Re: Software promotions

#436 Post by Specular »

billon wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:37 pm wtf
I thought it was an alt account from the beginning :P Not that I care either way.

Specular

#437 Post by Specular »

Rudy5 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:22 am You mean mine or vevy's?
Well, yours is the later created account so vevy's. Various things hinted to it but only you and Andrew would know ;)

Specular

#438 Post by Specular »

I mean you stated above it was your other account before saying it was a joke after billon's reaction so idk. I'm not really concerned either way though, like I said, it was just curious.

webfork

#439 Post by webfork »

Rudy5 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:04 am No mixup, vevy is my other account
Why do you have two accounts?

vevy

#440 Post by vevy »

Absolutely false. I don't have other accounts. Admins can check the logs if they keep them.

Also, I came upon this thread while trying to understand the recent wave of vandalism and one-letter post edits. I could have easily missed it!

I have to say I am a bit dismayed and disheartened that some assumed this is true without bothering to pm me or something! :(

Lastly, our interests, writing styles, etc couldn't be further apart! I certainly wouldn't bother adding non-portable threads when there are many portable ones to be added.

Come on, guys! I am disappointed! :roll:
Last edited by vevy on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vevy

#441 Post by vevy »

Specular wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:16 am I thought it was an alt account from the beginning :P Not that I care either way.
Specular wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:11 am Well, yours is the later created account so vevy's. Various things hinted to it but only you and Andrew would know ;)
I am actually curious as to why you would think that. What are those "hints" you saw?

Napiophelios

#442 Post by Napiophelios »

vevy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:25 pm ...Also, I came upon this thread while trying to understand the recent wave of vandalism and one-letter post edits....

Rudy5 edited most of their posts. :cry:

webfork

#443 Post by webfork »

vevy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:25 pm Come on, guys! I am disappointed! :roll:
Hey, I don't look a gift horse in the mouth here. :) You and Rudy were bringing a ton of great data to the site. I'm very sad to see Rudy go.

vevy

#444 Post by vevy »

webfork wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:46 pm
vevy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:25 pm Come on, guys! I am disappointed! :roll:
Hey, I don't look a gift horse in the mouth here. :) You and Rudy were bringing a ton of great data to the site. I'm very sad to see Rudy go.
Yeah, but make sure it is the right horse before you put it to sleep! :P

webfork

#445 Post by webfork »

vevy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:55 pm Yeah, but make sure it is the right horse before you put it to sleep! :P
While I prefer people just have one account, this is a pretty informal place. Heck, you can have 10 accounts if you're actively improving the site (as you have been). Obviously if someone's causing a problem, that's a different thing.
Last edited by webfork on Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Specular

#446 Post by Specular »

vevy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:41 pmI am actually curious as to why you would think that. What are those "hints" you saw?
It's likely as I tend to read more (ie: too much) into such things just based on forum experiences with different handles and accounts elsewhere (both of others and myself). Really the only reason I posted that was simply as Rudy's post just happened to be a culmination of things that had crossed my mind.

Fairly new users, then an uptick in program info posting activity by both after a certain point in the CLI topic, the alternating periods of posting with no direct interactions, enthusiastic tone despite contrasting content, a mention of a relative that might like it here (which now I can't find so might have been a mixup), along with little things I might have done if I had two accounts :P Wouldn't have considered my own observations as particularly accurate if not for Rudy's post stating it was an alt though.
webfork wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:46 pmHey, I don't look a gift horse in the mouth here. :) You and Rudy were bringing a ton of great data to the site.
webfork wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 pmThis is a pretty informal place. Heck, you can have 10 accounts if you're actively improving the site (as you have been). Obviously if someone's causing a problem, that's a different thing.
Pretty much.

webfork

#447 Post by webfork »

We don't see as many software giveaways on the site anymore, but I did see a free Foxit PDF web service available until the end of September:

https://pdfonline.foxitsoftware.com/

I can definitely say there are some solid features only available in for-pay tools.

rbon

Limited time discounted commercial software

#448 Post by rbon »

Downloadcrew Software Store
If anyone is interested, there is a online store with deeply discounted proprietary software.
- site name: Downloadcrew Software Store
- web site: https://downloadcrewstore.com/

Code: Select all

Some examples:
- Windows 10 Pro             $  39.99   Offer expire 30/11/2020  
- Office Home and Business   $ 149.00   offer expire 30/11/2020  
- Office Home and Student    $  79.00   offer expire 30/11/2020  
- Driver Booster PRO         $  16.95   offer expire 30/11/2020  

..and a few other programs.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

webfork

Re: Limited time discounted commercial software

#449 Post by webfork »

I'm seeing the same price at least on Office Home and Student over at Amazon so maybe this is a Microsoft promo.

https://www.amazon.com/Office-2016-Home ... B08LPSF3HR

Windows 10 is definitely cheaper than it's listed elsewhere.

EDIT: merging with software promotions thread

rbon

Re: Limited time discounted commercial software

#450 Post by rbon »

webfork wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:55 am I'm seeing the same price at least on Office Home and Student over at Amazon so maybe this is a Microsoft promo.

https://www.amazon.com/Office-2016-Home ... B08LPSF3HR

Windows 10 is definitely cheaper than it's listed elsewhere.

EDIT: merging with software promotions thread
...hmmm
These product are versions of 2019
(and Amazon link says that software of 2016 is unvailable)

I also think it is a Microsoft promotion (and therefore that it will probably be extended)
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.