It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Portable Skype
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:02 pm 

I wont take credit for this, nor will i say it wasnt great to find it. But there is a portable skype available for use.

Without breaking the TOS in skype, I cannot include the actual skype client (you need to download that yourself) but here:

Code:
http://files.robloach.net/code/PortableSkype.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:03 pm 

How's that different from running Skype using:

Code:
skype.exe /datapath:"Data" /removable

where "Data" is a subfolder you create under the Skype app folder to store settings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:02 pm 

because I'm lazy and like simple clicks using things like PSTART

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:23 pm 

the origin of portable skype:
http://portableapps.com/node/751

Post subject: new portable version of skype
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:45 am 

HELLO

Check
http://www.office-center-epj.de/portable_usb_drive.htm

The have some cool portable apps.
Some are known some not like 7-zip.
I like the version of skype because it comes with
preconfigured .bat

Bertl01

Post subject: Skype's portability :-(
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:55 pm 

I've been having problems with Skype's portability for over a year now and was sure to find the solution to them here in these forums sooner or later...

But in the meantime I started to wonder if I am the only one having trouble.

It took me a while to notice that after some update (3.0 maybe) I wasn't able to move my Skype folder on my drive, rename it or change the drive letter and afterwards run Skype successfully on the same machine.

I found the solution in the pages of the Skype forum, but just the line count of the answer that guy got gives you a pretty good picture of how deep Skype is rooted into your system. Also, deleting all those files means a lot of reconfiguring, as, contrary to the info in the thread, all my settings were lost.

I tried to prevent Skype from writing to the registry using Winpooch, but obviously it found other ways to infiltrate me. RegSeeker again showed most of the previously deleted entries.

What really bugs me - after unsuccessfully trying to login I cannot shut Skype down. The tray icon vanishes, but a look at the task manager still shows the Skype.exe process up and running. Windows' own task manager can't kill it, neither can Sysinternal's. It takes a few minutes until that process vanishes.

...not to mention the brutal way Skype tries to penetrate my Firewall.

But the point is - can Skype still be considered portable?

Post subject: Is this the file you're looking for?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:45 am 

The link above doesn't work, however there is a Portable Skype (v3) at this address: http://www.chip.de/downloads/Skype-Portable-3.6.0.244_20733442.html

The website is in German, but the programme is in English by default. Doesn't seem to write anything that it shouldn't (but I am no expert!)... Just click on the link 'Zum Download' - it extracts fine with Universal Extractor.

Seems to work fine - although if you want an earlier version (with less 'bells and whistles') I have used Rob Loach's portable wrapper which is talked about here: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4

In peace, Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:28 pm 

Try http://www.office-center-epj.de/portable/programme.html .
"11.02.2008
Skype Portable 3.6.0.248".

Post subject: Portable Skype Launcher 1.3 (Update)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:19 am 

Category: Communications – Telephony

Synopsis: Portable Skype Launcher 1.3 – is an utility that performs a routine of making Skype Portable for you automatically. It allows launching Skype from a flash drive on any PC.
On the first launch this application copies Skype application and your profile to your portable drive and adjusts application INI file.

Writes settings to: Application folder

How to extract: Download the SkypePortable.exe, launch it and follow Wizard instructions.

Stealth: Yes

Unicode support: Yes

License: Freeware

System Requirements: Win2K / WinXP / VISTA /

Screenshot: http://codyssey.com/downloads/pad/images/apps/skype/skype-screenshot.jpg
Download installer: http://www.codyssey.com/downloads/sw/freeware/portables/SkypePortable.exe (~235Kb)

The setup process is simple. If you have Skype installed on your desktop PC you can download and install the Portable Skype Launcher to your USB drive. When you run this tool for the first time it will suggest copying application and profile from your computer. You will need only to follow the application instructions.
If Skype is not installed on your computer, you will need first to download and install it there. After Portable Skype Launcher makes all necessary copies you can uninstall Skype from your PC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:34 pm 

This software is just stupid. It doesn't work.

It tries to detect a USB device and if you don't have one, it doesn't let you create a portable Skype.

I don't use any USB devices, USB has nothing to do with the reason I use portable software. Probably half the people on this forum don't use portable software just "because of USB", they use it *because its portable software* -- so you have created a nonfunctional software that can't simply build a working portable Skype in an arbitrary folder. Limiting it to only work on USB devices serves absolutely zero purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:21 am 

@zZolaa: you are being a bit too harsh ... but you have a point; a launcher for a portable version of a software should not be hardware dependent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:06 am 

joby_toss wrote:
... should not be hardware dependent!

where the heck, did you find hardware dependance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:57 am 

The portable-izer actually has a hardware detection phase and searches for a USB Device and will only create a Portable Skype on a USB device.

It will not create a Portable Skype on a portable hard drive, on a firewire drive, on your iPod, on your C drive, on anything EXCEPT a usb stick.

Therefore, it's actually NOT portable, and should not be added to the portablefreeware collection, because it's tied down to some arbitrary / specific hardware (to a USB stick), just like how "Program Files" are tied down to some arbitrary / specific hardware (your C drive).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:37 pm 

Pathologist wrote:
joby_toss wrote:
... should not be hardware dependent!

where the heck, did you find hardware dependance?

I am sorry sir! I am not a native English speaker!
The launcher can be executed but it cannot create a portable Skype version directly on the hard drive (many of us here would like that); it demands an usb stick for that. This is what I meant.
Please don't get mad; instead change the way this launcher works a bit.
All in all, zZolaa's previous post describes this issue better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:42 pm 

Guys!
Thank you all:
to Pathologist for posting our utility on this forum
and, especially, zZolaa for correct explanation of the "problem".

I extended the list of supported disk drives (you may chose not only removable, but fixed drives as well now) and added destination folder selection page. Corresponding modifications were applied to our installers for other applications as well.