Portable Skype (AKA sPortable)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
jr8rulz

Portable Skype (AKA sPortable)

#1 Post by jr8rulz »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Skype program thread. View database entry]

---

I wont take credit for this, nor will i say it wasnt great to find it. But there is a portable skype available for use.

Without breaking the TOS in skype, I cannot include the actual skype client (you need to download that yourself) but here:

Code: Select all

http://files.robloach.net/code/PortableSkype.zip

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

How's that different from running Skype using:

Code: Select all

skype.exe /datapath:"Data" /removable
where "Data" is a subfolder you create under the Skype app folder to store settings?

jr8rulz

#3 Post by jr8rulz »

because I'm lazy and like simple clicks using things like PSTART

DigeratiPrime

#4 Post by DigeratiPrime »

the origin of portable skype:
http://portableapps.com/node/751

Bertl01

new portable version of skype

#5 Post by Bertl01 »

HELLO

Check
http://www.office-center-epj.de/portable_usb_drive.htm

The have some cool portable apps.
Some are known some not like 7-zip.
I like the version of skype because it comes with
preconfigured .bat

Bertl01

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

AlephX

#7 Post by AlephX »

Thanks, database updated :D

Hank7

Skype's portability :-(

#8 Post by Hank7 »

I've been having problems with Skype's portability for over a year now and was sure to find the solution to them here in these forums sooner or later...

But in the meantime I started to wonder if I am the only one having trouble.

It took me a while to notice that after some update (3.0 maybe) I wasn't able to move my Skype folder on my drive, rename it or change the drive letter and afterwards run Skype successfully on the same machine.

I found the solution in the pages of the Skype forum, but just the line count of the answer that guy got gives you a pretty good picture of how deep Skype is rooted into your system. Also, deleting all those files means a lot of reconfiguring, as, contrary to the info in the thread, all my settings were lost.

I tried to prevent Skype from writing to the registry using Winpooch, but obviously it found other ways to infiltrate me. RegSeeker again showed most of the previously deleted entries.

What really bugs me - after unsuccessfully trying to login I cannot shut Skype down. The tray icon vanishes, but a look at the task manager still shows the Skype.exe process up and running. Windows' own task manager can't kill it, neither can Sysinternal's. It takes a few minutes until that process vanishes.

...not to mention the brutal way Skype tries to penetrate my Firewall.

But the point is - can Skype still be considered portable?

maxworks

Is this the file you're looking for?

#9 Post by maxworks »

The link above doesn't work, however there is a Portable Skype (v3) at this address: http://www.chip.de/downloads/Skype-Port ... 33442.html

The website is in German, but the programme is in English by default. Doesn't seem to write anything that it shouldn't (but I am no expert!)... Just click on the link 'Zum Download' - it extracts fine with Universal Extractor.

Seems to work fine - although if you want an earlier version (with less 'bells and whistles') I have used Rob Loach's portable wrapper which is talked about here: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... ic.php?t=4

In peace, Max

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

Try http://www.office-center-epj.de/portable/programme.html .
"11.02.2008
Skype Portable 3.6.0.248".

donald

getting skype made portable

#11 Post by donald »

I am calling for as many freeware users as see this to call for a no install
and fully portable version of skype from the company that provides it.

go to: http://support.skype.com/?_a=tickets&_m=submit

select: Suggestions (ideas to make Skype better)

tell them you want it portable then what it means to you to be portable

If enough people do this we might get a natively portable skype or at least
a launcher/exe combo that achieves full portability

"the best way to make an app portable is to get the creators to make it so" a qoute from these very forums sorry I have forgotten the posters name

satrical

Skype 4.0.0.150 Beta

#12 Post by satrical »

Updated from 3.8 to 4.0.0.150 Beta

Download it here

Yucca

#13 Post by Yucca »

On some other forums there is a lot of criticism about the GUI for this new version and many people have recommended sticking with the 3.x version for that reason.

I would nevertheless like to try this and feel there would be no problem testing it in portable mode (without uninstalling my 3.8.x version). If I don't like it, I can just delete it and continue using 3.8.

I have been unable, however, to extract the binary from this exe using Universal Extractor, and I could not get it to install in Sandboxie 3.28. (I'm using Vista and have checked Sandboxie's "Run as UAC Administrator" feature, but that does not help.)

I don't want to do a regular install/uninstall procedure to get the binary, since some programs leave trash in the registry after uninstalls and I'm not sure I will want this beta version.

Can anyone suggest a way to extract this binary without a regular install/uninstall process?

Thanks.

-- Yucca

Ameri-CAIN

#14 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

Can anyone suggest a way to extract this binary without a regular install/uninstall process?
When I can't extract via Universal extractor, the fastest thing for me to do is run through the install. Right after I copy the directory from Program Files holding my newly extracted exe's and supporting files, I run Revo. It does a really good job of clearing out everything.

Yucca

#15 Post by Yucca »

Thanks, that's a good way to go.

I think I will also run NirSoft's RegFromApp (available on TPFC) before the installation to manually track the registry changes during installation.

I can then check behind Revo after the uninstall to see if it missed anything.

-- Yucca