Filesystem "special folders" relative path redirec

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
ZergFood

Filesystem "special folders" relative path redirec

#1 Post by ZergFood »

Hehe it's me with another question, sorry for using a different thread but I figure it would be easier for others to search if they have the same questions.

Anyway, I'm trying to redirect the filesystem in a program called "Total Uninstall 5". This program puts all settings in "All Users\Application Data\Martau\Total Uninstall 5". The .exe file is located in a subfolder called "App" in my case, and I want to make a folder called "Data" to redirect it all there. Something like:

Code: Select all

App\    (application .exe stuff)
Data\   (filesystem redirection stuff)
I tried the following .ini file

[Redirection]
SingleThread=1
RedirMSI=1
RedirMisc=1

[Filesystem]
Use=1
Data=..\Data

[FilesystemExclude]
1=*
[FilesystemInclude]
1=%35%\Martau\Total Uninstall 5
[FilesystemIgnore]

[SpecialFolders]
35=.\
But it creates the following tree:

Data\Martau\Total Uninstall 5\
instead of just "Data", and this is annoying because I have to go through 2 empty folders to get to the actual data.

I tried to use

[SpecialFolders]
%35%\Martau\Total Uninstall 5=.\
But it says it doesn't recognize/find the "All Users\Application Data\Martau\Total Uninstall 5" folder when run.

Any tips? I want to redirect the whole thing to just "Data\" rather than "Data\Martau\Total Uninstall 5\". Thanks in advance :)

ZergFood

#2 Post by ZergFood »

Now I ran into another 'problem'. I'm trying to portablize Vidalia, which stores its settings in "Application Data\Vidalia" (current user).

The problem is that, while I managed to make it read from the 'portablized' folder near the app, it seems that everytime I exit it, it copies the stuff from the REAL Application Data to the portablized one, wtf?

[Redirection]
SingleThread=0
RedirMisc=1

[Filesystem]
Use=1
Data=.\

[FilesystemExclude]
1=*
[FilesystemInclude]
1=%26%\Vidalia
[FilesystemIgnore]
1=%26%\Vidalia

[SpecialFolders]
26=.\
I am confused. It works perfectly (reads from the portablized FS and all that; I tested it with different 'configs' to be sure), but when EXITING the app, it COPIES the stuff from Application Data\Vidalia to the portablized FS for some reason. (if there's no real "Application Data\Vidalia" thing, it DOES NOT).

I mean, shouldn't FilesystemIgnore just... you know, IGNORE the real one? What should I do to ignore it?

It is launched with:

start ..\JPECmdline -l -F Vidalia.exe
though i doubt that's a problem.

EDIT: It seems it actually is copied everytime it 'writes' to the settings, for some reason the real one (which is supposed to be IGNORED) takes precedence when deciding where to 'write' and then it copies it over to the hooked FS. Can someone please help? :?:

EDIT2: this works OK if there isn't a "real" "Application Data\Vidalia" on the computer (i.e it doesn't copy anything and it runs ok with the portablized FS).

Am I missing something here?

crownixx

#3 Post by crownixx »

[Filesystem]
Use=1
Data=..\Data

[FilesystemExclude]
1=*
[FilesystemInclude]
[FilesystemIgnore]

[SpecialFolders]
35=.\
Martau\Total Uninstall 5 are folders create by the application itself in the special folder %35% and your objective is you want this folder have it's own JauntePE filesystem directory which is ".\". Clearly you want a new non-special folder, so you need to define it correctly in the [SpecialFolders] section. In readme.html > The Runtime Ini > Portablizer > File System, redllar has not using the JauntePE special folder number to define new non-special folder in his example. Maybe defining new non-special folder using JauntePE special folder number can be put into request list

So the trick for now is try using windows environment variable %AllUsersProfile%.

[Filesystem]
Use=1
Data=..\Data

[FilesystemExclude]
1=*
[FilesystemInclude]
1=%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Martau\Total Uninstall 5

[FilesystemIgnore]
1=%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Martau\Total Uninstall 5

[SpecialFolders]
%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Martau\Total Uninstall 5=.\
For your Vidalia problem, try posting jauntepe log file here. Use the log version of jauntePE.dll and add following settings with the rest of your config for vidalia to create the log file

[Redirection]
Logging=2
LogPath=.\%appname%_logging.log

ZergFood

#4 Post by ZergFood »

crownixx wrote:Maybe defining new non-special folder using JauntePE special folder number can be put into request list
Yes that would be nice, in fact if this could work it would be ok:

[SpecialFolders]
%35%\Martau\Total Uninstall 5=.\
but it doesn't seem to work right now, so it would be a nice little addition.
crownixx wrote:For your Vidalia problem, try posting jauntepe log file here. Use the log version of jauntePE.dll and add following settings with the rest of your config for vidalia to create the log file

[Redirection]
Logging=2
LogPath=.\%appname%_logging.log
Ok, I also added tor redirection (Vidalia launches Tor, so I used RedirMisc=1), and it seems to work, but I think it has the same problem. Here's the new .ini file (with Tor):

[Redirection]
SingleThread=0
RedirMisc=1

[Filesystem]
Use=1
Data=.\

[FilesystemExclude]
1=*
[FilesystemInclude]
1=%26%\Vidalia
2=%26%\tor
[FilesystemIgnore]
1=%26%\Vidalia
2=%26%\tor

[SpecialFolders]
26=.\
of course, Vidalia is launched like this:

cd App\
start ..\..\JPECmdline.exe -l -F Vidalia.exe
and the debugging .log file:

--- JauntePE runtime settings for:

Executable:   C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\Vidalia.exe (JPE launched & injected)
 Launched by:  C:\Programs\JPECmdline.exe
 Command line: "C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\Vidalia.exe"
 Current dir:  C:\Programs\Vidalia\App

Windows info: 5.01.2600.2  2.0.256.1  (5.01.2600)  (Service Pack 2) - English
               (User is an admin)

JPE runtime location: C:\Programs\jauntePE.dll
     JPE runtime version:  0.3.0.0 (def)
     Data pipe version:    134418689
     Only use pipe data:   no
     Start suspended:      no
     Process ID:           1824

-- Portablizer plugin --
        Capture SEH:       yes
        Single thread:     no
        Logging mode:      2
        Logging funcs:     no
        Logging path:      C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\Vidalia_logging.log
        Discovery mode:    0
        Discovery job ID:  3144979894
        Discovery jobpath: <none given>
        Discovery path:    C:\Programs\jauntePE_discovery.log

-- API Hooks
        Funcs redirected:  <everything except "Not redirected">
          Not redirected:  <nothing>

-- API Init Hooks
        Funcs init hooked: <everything except "Not init hooked">
         Not init hooked:  <nothing>

-- Modules
        Codes redirected:  <everything except "Not redirected">

-- Processes
        Inject children:   yes
        Stop MS installs:  no
        Execs redirected:  <everything except "Not redirected">

-- Registry
        Use:               no
        In-memory version: 0
        Fill in hierarchy: no
        Browse w/real reg: no
        Stop delete loops: no
        Path tokens mode:  0
        PipeData ini:      C:\Programs\JauntePE_jauntePE.ini
        PipeData reg:      C:\Programs\JauntePE_registry.reg
        Override ini1:     C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\Vidalia_jauntePE.ini
        Override ini2:     C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\Vidalia_jauntePE.ini
        Override reg:      C:\Programs\JauntePE_registry.reg
        Paths redirected:  <everything except "Not redirected">
                 Ignored:  <nothing>
         Paths tokenized:  <everything except "Not tokenized">
           Not tokenized:  <nothing>
            Paths stored:  <everything except "Not stored">
              Not stored:  <nothing>

-- File system
        Use:               yes
        Exclude app dir:   no
        Browse w/real wfs: no
        PipeData ini:      C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\Vidalia_jauntePE.ini
        PipeData dir:      C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\
        Override ini1:     C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\Vidalia_jauntePE.ini
        Override ini2:     C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\Vidalia_jauntePE.ini
        Override dir:      C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\
        Paths redirected:  C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Application Data\tor
                           C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Application Data\Vidalia
                           C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\APPLIC~1\tor
                           C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\APPLIC~1\Vidalia
          Not redirected:  <everything except "Paths redirected">
                 Ignored:  C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Application Data\tor
                           C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Application Data\Vidalia
                           C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\APPLIC~1\tor
                           C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\APPLIC~1\Vidalia
          Special folders: 00 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Desktop (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\Desktop)
                           02 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Start Menu\Programs (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\STARTM~1\Programs)
                           05 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\My Documents (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\MYDOCU~1)
                           06 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Favorites (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\FAVORI~1)
                           07 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup)
                           08 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Recent (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\Recent)
                           09 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\SendTo (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\SendTo)
                           11 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Start Menu (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\STARTM~1)
                           13 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\My Documents\My Music (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\MYDOCU~1\MYMUSI~1)
                           14 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\My Documents\My Videos (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\MYDOCU~1\MYVIDE~1)
                           16 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Desktop (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\Desktop)
                           19 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\NetHood (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\NetHood)
                           20 - C:\WINDOWS\Fonts (C:\WINDOWS\Fonts)
                           21 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Templates (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\TEMPLA~1)
                           22 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu (C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\STARTM~1)
                           23 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs (C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\STARTM~1\Programs)
                           24 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup)
                           25 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop (C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\Desktop)
                           26 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Application Data (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\APPLIC~1)
                           27 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\PrintHood (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\PRINTH~1)
                           28 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Local Settings\Application Data (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\LOCALS~1\APPLIC~1)
                           31 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites (C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\FAVORI~1)
                           32 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1)
                           33 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Cookies (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\Cookies)
                           34 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Local Settings\History (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\LOCALS~1\History)
                           35 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1)
                           36 - C:\WINDOWS (C:\WINDOWS)
                           37 - C:\WINDOWS\system32 (C:\WINDOWS\system32)
                           38 - C:\Program Files (C:\PROGRA~1)
                           39 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\My Documents\My Pictures (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\MYDOCU~1\MYPICT~1)
                           41 - C:\WINDOWS\system32 (C:\WINDOWS\system32)
                           43 - C:\Program Files\Common Files (C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1)
                           45 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Templates (C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\TEMPLA~1)
                           46 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents (C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\DOCUME~1)
                           47 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools (C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\STARTM~1\Programs\ADMINI~1)
                           48 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\STARTM~1\Programs\ADMINI~1)
                           53 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music (C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\DOCUME~1\MYMUSI~1)
                           54 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures (C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\DOCUME~1\MYPICT~1)
                           55 - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos (C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\DOCUME~1\MYVIDE~1)
                           56 - C:\WINDOWS\resources (C:\WINDOWS\RESOUR~1)
                           59 - C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning (C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\LOCALS~1\APPLIC~1\MICROS~1\CDBURN~1)
           Dirs to redir:  C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Application Data\tor ==> C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\.\\tor
                           C:\Documents and Settings\ZF\Application Data\Vidalia ==> C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\.\\Vidalia
                           C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\APPLIC~1\tor ==> C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\.\tor
                           C:\DOCUME~1\ZF\APPLIC~1\Vidalia ==> C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\.\Vidalia

-- Identifying plugin --
        Mode:              3
        Border frame:      yes
        Titlebar icons:    yes
        Disconnect flash:  yes
        Disconnect icon:   yes
        Inner border RGB:  032, 032, 032 (2105376)
        Outer border RGB:  255, 032, 032 (2105599)

-- Fake drives plugin --

-- Shell usage plugin --
        Prevent MRUs:      no
        Prevent bin usage: no
        Change docs usage: no

-- No Annoyers plugin --
        Spoof system date: 0000-00-00 00:00:00 0 (invalid date 12:00:00 AM)
          Use as a timer:  no
          Use (valid):     no

Process  was created  at 16:23:32.687 (GMT)
 Hook dll was attached at 16:23:32.828 (GMT)
 Hook dll was finished at 16:23:33.296 (GMT)
 00140 ms for hook dll attach to begin
 00468 ms for hook dll attach to finish
 00421 ms for hooks to be applied (89% of dll attach time)
I'm not sure if it helps but I hope so :)

EDIT: Just tested this again right now. If I rename the "original" ones (i.e the real ones in Application Data\Vidalia) to "Application Data\Vidalia 2" it works perfectly. Somehow only if it EXISTS there is a problem that it 'takes priority' over the portable FS for some reason :?
Last edited by ZergFood on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

crownixx

#5 Post by crownixx »

You was using jauntePE.dll def version. You need to use log version of jauntePE.dll to get the long list of trace.The log version need to be download separately.It is in http://www.mybloop.com/JauntePE JauntePE030RuntimesNB19.exe. Rename jauntePElog.dll to jauntePE.dll and use it.

The log file could be long (mybe hundred lines) so it is better to upload it together with your configuration file somewhere(maybe mediafire) and put the download link here. If we're lucky, mybe redllar will stop by and look after your log. Possibly you found a bug but that is not sure yet.

Last time i did a quick test. I create JauntePE vidalia using JPE Quickie, normal package. Then i install vidalia locally. After i ran and quit JauntePE vidalia, i did not found it messing with the local vidalia. Do thetrial and error. If we suspect JPEcmdline.exe was the problem, try to use the launcher (JPEPortable.exe) to verify it. If your config was the problem, try to replace it with _Normal2.ini or _Normal3.ini

ZergFood

#6 Post by ZergFood »

Doesn't work even with JPEPortable.exe and with _Normal2.ini configuration. :?

I'll upload the log file soon.

EDIT: here's the log: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?g5qiizihmmh

contains the log of Vidalia, Tor and the configuration .ini file.

EXTRA NOTES: I tried with SingleThread=1 (it is now 0), and Vidalia wouldn't even work. It would just stay as a process (it won't even launch Tor!!!), and I have to kill it with the Task Manager.

I tried without [ChildExclude] and [ChildInclude] optimizations. Still doesn't work.

I also observed in the .log file that it accesses "C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\tor\Tor.exe" for some reason -- that is the "non-portablized" install, so to speak (set up to test it). WHY DOES IT DO THAT?

I'll look into this log some more and see if I find the "cause" of this "problem" :?

EDIT: I tried to get rid of the "Vidalia" folder altogether -- while still keeping the "original" one in "Application Data\Vidalia" to test if FilesystemIgnore works.

It loaded the one in "Application Data\Vidalia" so it's like it doesn't even work (it should have ignored it). Any ideas?

Please tell if you need more information to track down this bug/thing/whatever it is.

crownixx

#7 Post by crownixx »

I can only assist you with the problem you face as a jauntepe user as well. So here are the ideas/possibly the roots of the problem

In your Vidalia_jauntePE.log , looking at line 850 as example
CreateFileW(other=\\?\C:\Documents and Settings\Borsuc\Application Data\Vidalia\vidalia.conf)
Previously i had the same problem in the path structure like above after transition from build 15 to build 16 and i posted here. Redllar required us to change the jauntePE.dll and the launcher (JPEPortable.exe) for fixing the bugs found in previous build15. For this case we already using latest jauntePE.dll but what we concern is JPECmdline.exe launcher is updated to fix the bugs found in build15?
JPE Cmdline is a special, trimmed down version of the JPE Launcher tool... It is a leftover from previous versions of JauntePE but it's still useful since it's so quick and easy to use once you've done a small bit of initial setup work.
and about JPE Launcher
JPE Launcher is an "old" 0.1.* version of the original JauntePE launchpad. As such, it is no longer being updated and is only included with this release in case you might find it still of some use
In lines 127 to 130, there are some odds regarding with the portable filesystem that you have define. For example
Dirs to redir: C:\Documents and Settings\Borsuc\Application Data\tor ==> C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\.\\tor
Maybe you need to redefine again the path at [SpecialFolders] section or try the default directory first
ZergFood wrote:I also observed in the .log file that it accesses "C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\tor\Tor.exe" for some reason -- that is the "non-portablized" install, so to speak (set up to test it). WHY DOES IT DO THAT?
Because the application is design to call that path :) the same as the application try to read it's settings in %appdata%\Vidalia folder (probably i could be wrong) And because you only include two folders for redirection in Vidalia_jauntePE.ini [FilesystemInclude], the calling path for Tor.exe was skip. See the bold line below taken at line 3573
GetFileAttributesW(other=\\?\C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe)
** caller=qtcore4.dll
ByPassModule: no
ValidatePath: pathIn (other=\\?\C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe)
modpath(other=C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe)
fulpath(other=C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe)
SkipWFSRedir: skipping path(other=C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe)
Try experimenting by include the path of the program files (%38%\Vidalia Bundle) in FilesystemInclude and FilesystemIgnore and see if it works.

For the Tor_jauntePE.log In line 6
Launched by: C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\Vidalia.exe
Command line: "Tor.exe" -f "C:\Documents and Settings\Borsuc\Application Data\Vidalia\torrc" ControlPort 9051 HashedControlPassword 16:EE672021B9928E4760026A4B5D6F0F254BC6C4C5F69F9F8AFA2B9898B1 CookieAuthentication 0
Probably that is the reason why it 'takes priority' over the portable filesystem. Dont sure if "Tor.exe" is from your portable package or from C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe. Another idea is try doing the reseach in Vidalia documentation if we could pass the parameter manually.

Question: How do you set up your Vidalia portable package? By redirect the installer or you set it up manually by yourself? The reason is that i'm curious where is the location of your portable Tor.exe. IMO Vidalia is one of a complex application and you have to extra careful when optimize the config.

crownixx

#8 Post by crownixx »

I can only assist you with the problem you face as a jauntepe user as well. So here are the ideas/possibly the roots of the problem

In your Vidalia_jauntePE.log , looking at line 850 as example
CreateFileW(other=\\?\C:\Documents and Settings\Borsuc\Application Data\Vidalia\vidalia.conf)
Previously i had the same problem in the path structure like above after transition from build 15 to build 16 and i posted here. Redllar required us to change the jauntePE.dll and the launcher (JPEPortable.exe) for fixing the bugs found in previous build15. For this case we already using latest jauntePE.dll but what we concern is JPECmdline.exe launcher is updated to fix the bugs found in build15?
JPE Cmdline is a special, trimmed down version of the JPE Launcher tool... It is a leftover from previous versions of JauntePE but it's still useful since it's so quick and easy to use once you've done a small bit of initial setup work.
and about JPE Launcher
JPE Launcher is an "old" 0.1.* version of the original JauntePE launchpad. As such, it is no longer being updated and is only included with this release in case you might find it still of some use
In lines 127 to 130, there are some odds regarding with the portable filesystem that you have define. For example
Dirs to redir: C:\Documents and Settings\Borsuc\Application Data\tor ==> C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\.\\tor
Maybe you need to redefine again the path at [SpecialFolders] section or try the default directory first
ZergFood wrote:I also observed in the .log file that it accesses "C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\tor\Tor.exe" for some reason -- that is the "non-portablized" install, so to speak (set up to test it). WHY DOES IT DO THAT?
Because the application is design to call that path :) the same as the application try to read it's settings in %appdata%\Vidalia folder (probably i could be wrong) And because you only include two folders for redirection in Vidalia_jauntePE.ini [FilesystemInclude], the calling path for Tor.exe was skip. See the bold line below taken at line 3573
** caller=qtcore4.dll
SkipWFSRedir: skipping path(other=C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe)
Try experimenting by include the path of the program files (%38%\Vidalia Bundle) in FilesystemInclude and FilesystemIgnore and see if it works.

For the Tor_jauntePE.log In line 6
Launched by: C:\Programs\Vidalia\App\Vidalia.exe
Command line: "Tor.exe" -f "C:\Documents and Settings\Borsuc\Application Data\Vidalia\torrc" ControlPort 9051 HashedControlPassword 16:EE672021B9928E4760026A4B5D6F0F254BC6C4C5F69F9F8AFA2B9898B1 CookieAuthentication 0
Probably that is the reason why it 'takes priority' over the portable filesystem. Dont sure if "Tor.exe" is from your portable package or from C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe. Try doing the reseach in Vidalia documentation if we could pass the parameter manually, if this possible

Question: How do you set up your Vidalia portable package? By redirect the installer or you set it up manually by yourself? The reason is that i'm curious where is the location of your portable Tor.exe. IMO Vidalia is one of a complex application and you have to extra careful when optimize the config.

EDIT:
Got the Vidalia running on my own. I think the problem is that you made a mistake when optimizing the Filesystem (+ maybe Cmdline.exe also take the effect). Here's my log when i'm using _Normal2.ini without any optimization. I also running the portable Vidalia in the system that also have the local Vidalia

My portable Vidalia call the Tor.exe without error. Different from your log
** caller=qtcore4.dll
C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe
C:\Program Files
redirected path found
***** Changing path *****(other=C:\Vidalia Portable\JPE\ProgramFiles\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe)

return code: 32
Then the correct path of Tor.exe was been launch and injected. This is my Tor log file
Launched by: C:\Vidalia Portable\JPE\ProgramFiles\Vidalia Bundle\Vidalia\vidalia.exe
Command line: "C:\Vidalia Portable\JPE\ProgramFiles\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe" -f "C:\Documents and Settings\crownixx\Application Data\Vidalia\torrc" ControlPort 9051 HashedControlPassword 16:BD2632C08F92AD3D60EC8B8EAFCB2C7C52D8A07949E52194ACDF46F593 CookieAuthentication 0
The bold line above is still not our portable filesystem but it change successfully in the following lines below
FindFirstFileA(other=C:\Documents and Settings\crownixx\Application Data\Vidalia\torrc)
** caller=msvcrt.dll
ValidatePath: pathIn (other=C:\Documents and Settings\crownixx\Application Data\Vidalia\torrc)
modpath(other=C:\Documents and Settings\crownixx\Application Data\Vidalia\torrc)
fulpath(other=C:\Documents and Settings\crownixx\Application Data\Vidalia\torrc)
C:\Documents and Settings\crownixx\Application Data\Vidalia\torrc
C:\Documents and Settings\crownixx\Application Data
redirected path found
***** Changing path *****(other=C:\Vidalia Portable\JPE\User\AppData\Vidalia\torrc)

ZergFood

#9 Post by ZergFood »

Thanks for the analysis, unfortunately I tried with _Normal2.ini and still doesn't work.

My Vidalia is packaged from a "portable Vidalia" thingie I downloaded (it had a launcher that 'temporarily' places the respective files and deletes them when exiting --> not what I want, so I made my own with jauntePE).

Anyway, Tor.exe is in the same folder as Vidalia, and there's vidalia.conf file which points to it, probably the reason it accessed the C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe thing :)

Of course the portable one has a "Tor.exe" relative path (as it is in the same folder) and it WORKS, but only if the original isn't installed.

NOTE: I disabled Tor and it STILL copies the config from the non-portabllized FS. So we can rule out Tor for the moment and focus on Vidalia.

It would be a pity if JPECmdline would not be updated as it is very flexible tool and useful as a launcher. Does JPEPortable work with a command line that I am not aware of?

I even renamed the C:\Program Files\Vidalia Bundle to something else entirely and it STILL copies the config from the non-portablized FS. Strange thing is that next time I run it it won't even run (as it points to the wrong location).

The only way I can keep the portable FS is to make it read-only but that's not always a good idea as I can't update my settings (and still the bug would still be there).

I got rid of my Filesystem redirection section optimizations and it still won't work. Now I'll do more tests with JPEPortable and confirm if it is JPECmdline or not.

Thanks again for your help :)

EDIT: Tried JPEPortable with my current config. Still doesn't work.
Tried again with _Normal2.ini and JPEPortable. Still doesn't work.

EDIT2: Why I wonder is that it works flawlessly if there's no "non-portable" version in C:\Documents And Settings... which means that it really portablizes and hooks the APIs used, as otherwise it would probably leak stuff there or create stuff there. But it doesn't.

Only if stuff exists there it does. In fact it first READS from the portablized FS (as it launches Tor, otherwise it wouldn't as I did it on purpose to point to an invalid path), but when it writes/modifies it, it copies from the other .conf file for some reason :?

crownixx

#10 Post by crownixx »

I'm not familiar with Vidalia and I can only go this far with the current knowledge that i have. Sorry i can't help you solve the problem.

Redllar will be the right person to look after your problem if it is cause by some bugs. Then i recommend the following:
1. Forget about your package Vidalia for a while and get the Vidalia installer
2. Use JPE Quickie, redirect the installer and create the portable Vidalia using the Normal package
3. Install Vidalia locally
4. Run portable Vidalia and verify the problem
5. If the problem is still persist, then create the log file and post it here together with the config file.

Sometime the problem happen because we design the config ini wrongly thus the log file from the normal package as above step is highly recommended to help redllar crush the bugs

ZergFood

#11 Post by ZergFood »

I uploaded the config file with the logs in my previous mediafire link, you can take a look at it if you want.

Should I upload the whole Vidalia package the way I set it? I'm only asking this to at least see if you can reproduce it (if not, it might be a REALLY strange bug :shock:)

EDIT: I have some "technical" problems so I will try to upload it later, if you'll need it.

ZergFood

#12 Post by ZergFood »

Ok I tried this on my laptop too, and it still does the same thing, however it also gives me an "exception handled error" when I exit. This:

---------------------------
Vidalia.exe Unhandled Error
An unhandled error has occurred which may cause this application to exit.
The jauntePE runtime dll has trapped this error in case it was the cause.

The error's exception occurred from within the QtCore4.dll module.
The last jauntePE hooked api function calling module was qtcore4.dll.
The last jauntePE hooked api function was GetFileAttributesExW.

To help diagnose the cause of this error and improve JauntePE, please pass this
information on to the JauntePE development team, along with a detailed
description of what you were doing when the error occurred.

Any information you have concerning Vidalia.exe and the qtcore4.dll
calling module would be helpful as well.

You can use Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard so that it can be
easily pasted into an email or other post.

0xC0000005:	error exception code
0x6A417714:	error exception address
0x6A1C0000:	error exception base address
0x00257714:	error exception offset address
0x4A50DDFC:	last jauntePE hooked api function entry point
0x4A501000:	jauntePE entry point

OK   

ZergFood

#13 Post by ZergFood »

Hey I found out how to make it "portable" without jauntePE (Vidalia has that capability) 8)

Launch it like this:

cd App\
start /min .\Privoxy.exe
start .\vidalia.exe -datadir ".\Data"
Make sure "vidalia.conf" in the "Data" subfolder has the following stuff:

[Tor]
TorExecutable=Tor.exe
Torrc=.\\Data\\torrc
(assuming Tor.exe is in the same folder as vidalia.exe and Privoxy.exe)
then add the following to torrc (file with no extension):

AvoidDiskWrites 1
DataDirectory .\Data
And that's it, all the cache + data will be under the "Data" subfolder.

Now, I realize this may solve this particular problem with Vidalia, but the bug is still there -- I haven't tested other apps yet.