Similarity - find similar audio and image files

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
portackager

#1 Post by portackager »

Name: Similarity

Screenshot: http://www.music-similarity.com/ss2.png

Category Audio - Miscellaneous (4), Audio - Identification (2)

Synopsis: This program can compare and find similar (duplicates) of musical files (MP3, WMA, ASF, WAV, FLAC, APE, WV). The analysis is made on contents of a file, it is necessary to note that similarity of a sound part is checked, using various algorithms FFT, Wavelet, math statistics, i.e. this is not bit-by-bit comparison, and for that it is necessary for program to decode a musical file. Also the program can compare values of ID3, ASF tags and names of files. Feature of the program is that that it counts up a certain estimation of a file and does not demand constant presence of the carrier with a file, in other words for the analysis it is possible to specify files on time carriers of CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, flash, all of them will equally participate in comparison correctly. At present time the program is in beta-testing, it is given as "freeware".

Writes settings to: Registry

How to extract: Download the installer and extract using Universal Extractor to a folder of your choice. Select msi2xml extraction method. Copy all the files in "files" directory to a folder of your choice. Delete the remaining files. msi.xsl, Setup.xml, and streams. Launch SimilarityEXE.exe

Stealth: No

Unicode support: No?

License: Freeware

System Requirements: Win2k / WinXP / Win2003 / Vista
The settings are saved in the registry. You can maintain the settings by importing and exporting this registry key.

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\user\current\software\Almaz Gaifullin
Last edited by portackager on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MiDoJo

#2 Post by MiDoJo »

How to extract: Download the installer and install to the default folder. Copy all files (except unins000.exe and unins000.dat to a folder of your choice. Finally, uninstall the application. Launch the program by double-clicking on NetSetMan.exe.
Reason not to copy and paste LOL

Also the fact that it writes settings to reg and applications folder use makes it less likely as a viable portable IMHO

portackager

#3 Post by portackager »

MiDoJo wrote:
How to extract: Download the installer and install to the default folder. Copy all files (except unins000.exe and unins000.dat to a folder of your choice. Finally, uninstall the application. Launch the program by double-clicking on NetSetMan.exe.
Reason not to copy and paste LOL

Also the fact that it writes settings to reg and applications folder use makes it less likely as a viable portable IMHO
You caught me right before my edit. :lol:

It writes only to the registry, other stuff such as "cache.dat" is written where the application executable is located.

nycjv321

#4 Post by nycjv321 »

you listen to 50 cent? wackest rapper alive lol! well then again most main stream rappers are anyways ;)

MiDoJo

Re: ...

#5 Post by MiDoJo »

nycjv321 wrote:you listen to 50 cent? wackest rapper alive lol! well then again most main stream rappers are anyways ;)
:? I'm confused where did you come up with that he (or I) listen to said rapper?

that said I HIGHLY AGREE HA! :shock: :lol:

nycjv321

#6 Post by nycjv321 »

o0o nvm the author does lol :)
skimming never works ;)

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

This program was updated a few days ago and it seemed like time to retry.

Some usage notes:
  • It runs a little slow in it's initial analysis but I don't expect that's something that can be fixed - it just takes time to analyze and compare.
  • The adjustable similarity values is really cool and has a lot of possible applications for finding duplications in both audio and images.
  • A fair number of features are pro-only but the program didn't seem to complain too often about that, save for the similarity % amounts, which I still don't fully understand

Steps:

1. Download MSI file and use 7zip to decompress
2. Launch Similarity.exe

Status: Not portable. Writes to: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming ... moved to Not Portable subforum.

License: Freemium. Not super clear on the comparison percentages being underneath the pro version status, but I wouldn't describe this as a demo.

Site: http://www.similarityapp.com/

Screenshot: Image check:

Screenshot: Audio check

Comparison similarity thresholds

Midas

Re: Similarity - find similar audio and image files

#8 Post by Midas »

Similarity latest release is v2.4.0(?) (available changelogs up to v2.3.1 archived at http://www.similarityapp.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0).