jDownloader

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Master of Dice

jDownloader

#1 Post by Master of Dice »

jDownloader is a great downloadmanager for Rapidshare and other sites.
It automatically answers the Captchas and downloads all files.
http://jdownloader.org/home

joby_toss

#2 Post by joby_toss »

I've seen this kind of programs all over the net.
Is it legal to use them ?
Here is a quote from rapid.share terms of use:
"# In order to use the infrastructure of Rapid.Share free of cost, you have to enter a letter combination for the retrieval of your file. You can download a certain amount of data per hour. If the volume is exceeded, a notice will appear.
# At breach of the conditions of use, the user might be permanently banned from the free service.
# Anyone writing a program with the aim to breach the conditions of use, will be prosecuted and made liable for any damage caused."

appsuser

#3 Post by appsuser »

joby_toss wrote:I've seen this kind of programs all over the net.
Is it legal to use them ?
Here is a quote from rapid.share terms of use:
"# In order to use the infrastructure of Rapid.Share free of cost, you have to enter a letter combination for the retrieval of your file. You can download a certain amount of data per hour. If the volume is exceeded, a notice will appear.
# At breach of the conditions of use, the user might be permanently banned from the free service.
# Anyone writing a program with the aim to breach the conditions of use, will be prosecuted and made liable for any damage caused."
I wonder about the validity of these programs also, but for a different reason. Rapidshare has changed a lot...I don't think they even use capchas any more. So I'm wondering if programs like this still work. In any case, if they do, all they're doing is automating what you would do manually anyway, nothing illegal is occuring as they aren't going beyond the limits of what the Rapidshare servers are imposing on you.

JohnW

#4 Post by JohnW »

appsuser is essentially correct.
As he stated
all they're doing is automating what you would do manually anyway, nothing illegal is occuring as they aren't going beyond the limits of what the Rapidshare servers are imposing on you.
It is also true that Rapidshare no longer uses Captchas. However MegaUpload does (as an example) so the code probably needs to be present.

he also wonders if programs like this still work.

Let me reassure him that they do ... and very well. Personally I have never used JDownloader but I can highly recommend Cryptload which I use extensively. It is available on ...

Code: Select all

http://cryptload.info/home/
I actually believe it to be portable but I've never posted a reference to it because many people seem to be sniffy about Rapidshare etc.

The great value in these programs is that you can store a whole list of downloads and leave the program to do its stuff.
What Rapidshare has now done to restrict non-Premium users is to significantly reduce the speed. From Rapidshare's point of view this is a more sensible strategy than relying on Captchas etc. It does mean that if you're into downloading very large files then the only realistic option is to purchase a premium membership.

Finally, just as a passing remark, JDownloader requires Java runtime

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

CryptLoad installation archive is hosted on Rapid.Share :) .
Isn't this ironic ?!

garbanzo

#6 Post by garbanzo »

apps like this may automate the downloading process at some file hosting sites, but you will still be bound to the limits imposed on free users.

i find it's much easier to pay for a premium Rapidshare account. it's quite cheap, and i use it very frequently. plus, with premium, you can use a download accelerator like Orbit to significantly boost your download speed.

coalado

#7 Post by coalado »

jDownloader does not only automate the downloading process.
It helps collecting and managing Links,
it extracts archives and searches the password out of huge password lists.
It boosts download speed by loading with multiple connections.
It has some nice addons like webinterface, or shutdown after download.
It event contains a firefox Addon.
It's Open source and completly free!
It supports lots of premiumservices to (multiple accounts, Account overview, Chunkload and paralell downloads)
It loads Videos from youtube etc. and can convert them to avi/mp3
It can help you to detect some fancy captchas
It is able to control your router (perform reconnects)
It's written in java and available for MAC/Windows/Linux,...
It reads ccf, rsdf and DLC LinkContainer files

usw....

Coalado

heatfire0

how do u decrypt?

#8 Post by heatfire0 »

ive just downloaded it.. but i seem to have a problem with decrypting the file..is their a certain method to have it start searchin for the password?

m^(2)

Re: jDownloader

#9 Post by m^(2) »

I just checked it and it seems that it's not portable, it doesn't update paths.

Test:
At the first start I set the download path to the default, which was \downloads (written as full path, no way to enter a relative one). I added a file for downloading. Moved JDownloader. The download path didn't change.
Then I followed this advice (to enter a relative path in the settings tab). But JDownloader saved it as a full one and behaved like before.

Possibly the PA.com-compatible one behaves differently, but I'm yet to check it out (this post suggests that it doesn't).

Magibon

#10 Post by Magibon »

i have been using this for a while now..
it's my favorite download manager..

As far as the legal terms...
jDownloader does nothing illegal.
It's just a download manager.. compatible with services that use captcha systems..
You still have to enter the captchas..
it doesn't steal, hack, or anything like that.

It's targeted towards Premium Users, but is also great for free members.

According to official JDownloader website.. it's portable.
I downloaded their official version and did as specified but does not work unless you install Java... so that's a downer :(

I use the .paf version from here.
PC and Mac versions available.
The build is not the newest but it doesn't matter because you can just update.
This version works with jPortable, which is great so you don't have to install Java :)

Why i like it? because it supports over 100 file-sharing websites and is portable.

Download: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/netwo ... rtable.cfm
Size: 22.9mb / 53mb extracted
Screenshot: http://i53.tinypic.com/11wfzo2.gif
Dependencies: Java (jPortable)
Stealth [?]: No .
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2114856260-989771291-1377220010-1000\Software\JavaSoft

How to extract: Download installer and extract.
Install jPortable according to PortableApps standard.
Launch "JDownloaderPortable.exe".

License: Freeware, GNU.
Path portability: Automatic.
System Requirements: Win98 / Win2K / WinXP / Vista / Win7

bzl333

#11 Post by bzl333 »

cryptload had 25/57 on VirusTotal. anyone still using this?

most of the positives say something like NetCat

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

According to Ghacks.net (http://www.ghacks.net/2016/05/26/jdownl ... -released/), a stable version 2 of jDownloader has been released, although there is no mention of it in the official changelog (http://jdownloader.org/changes/).

As the official installers come with adware, clean download packages can be found in the official forum: https://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=54725.

Interestingly, considering jDownloader is a Java app, it doesn't need a separate Java framework -- I haven't tested this, it's second hand evidence gathered from http://www.ghacks.net/2016/05/26/jdownl ... nt-3910920.

JohnW

#13 Post by JohnW »

Interesting that midas bumped this topic!
I've been using JDownloader for several years.
For all that time it has been stable and safe.
I think it has an added benefit of avoiding those situations where a website hijacks your screen.
In the old days it was possible to overcome download limits by changing your IP address automatically. For me that is no longer possible even though my IP is dynamic.
Worth remarking that there is an informative forum for users.

smaragdus

#14 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
As the official installers come with adware, clean download packages can be found in the official forum: https://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=54725.
The clean download package (for Windows) you are referring to is neither an offline installer nor an archive but a downloader (WebInstaller.exe- 75 KB)- I never use such downloaders and don't recommend anyone to use them. I have tested all hosting sites download managers that still work (CandiSoft - Load!, FreeRapid Downloader, JDownloader, Mipony) and for me FreeRapid Downloader (also written in Java) is the best- it is an archive requiring no installation, it can be made portable and there is a huge number of plug-ins which are frequently updated, CandiSoft - Load! and Mipony (the latter requires .NET) are average- the first one can download from a very limited number of sites while the second one sometimes fails to download from supported sites, while JDownloader is the worst- the heaviest, the slowest (plug-ins also update slowly), it shows ads, the developers no longer offer an offline installer or an archive. More- since I updated Java to version 8 it spews a strange error message:
JDownloader 0.9.581 - 2016-06-08 -error - 001.png
This error message is generated every time I run JDownloader, however when I click "OK" it loads just fine. The latest version it finds is 2 Beta:
JDownloader 0.9.581 - 2016-06-08 - 003.png
JDownloader (I have version 0.9.581) has an advantage too- it can be used as a regular download manager. Like FreeRapid Downloader, JDownloader also offers a huge number of skins (Style) to choose from. The GUI is nice but even though I have checked "Do not inform me about important updates" it still checks fir updates and I can't find a way to disable this behaviour. To be fair- FreeRapid Downloader is no fast starter either but it is significantly lighter- FreeRapid Downloader uses about 166 MB of RAM, while JDownloader- about 360 MB of RAM. I think it is fair to compare their resource usage because both are written in Java and both versions I am using haven't been updated for quite some time.

Edit
Two useful articles about JDownloader:
Disable Oboom in JDownloader
Disable annoying behavior in JDownloader 2

Userfriendly

#15 Post by Userfriendly »

Been using jDownloader2 for a while since beta and I haven't had any problems with it. Plugins update almost everyday. Noticed they fixed ClicknUpload plugin quickly after sudden site changes. So at least I know the frequent updates are doing something. Besides the uploaded get premium banner and contribute donation tab which can be hidden via advanced settings. There doesn't seem to be any ads anywhere else.

JD 0.9.581 probably doesn't fully support java 8 while JD2 does. It can seem to work fine but it might have bugs. Here's the topic concerning that https://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=56095

FreeRapid is also pretty good. Nothing bad about it. A little less features maybe. But jDownloader seems to be more popular with a larger community and developers behind it. So if a plugin gets outdated, jDownloader will probably get updates sooner than FreeRapid.