KeyNote - tabbed outline editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
xptweakerntn

KeyNote - tabbed outline editor

#1 Post by xptweakerntn » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:13 am

[Moderator note: this is the primary KeyNote (outline editor) program thread. View database entry]

----

keynote is 100% portable.
just copy the files over.

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:24 pm

KeyNote is already listed in the database.

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:52 am

I don't see any news about this so I'll post here.

KeyNote is alive again!

The new project is renamed KeyNote NF and it moved from sourceforge to google code.

The project was revived by Daniel Prado Velasco:
  • "The program will be renamed from "KeyNote" to "KeyNote NF". That way I hope it will be easier to locate it searching the web.

To implement some of the new features included in KeyNote NF I had to extend sligthly the format of KeyNote (.knt) files. All new elements are optional so that new version can open without problems a file corresponding to version 1.6.5. Also, with KeyNote 1.6.5 it is possible to open a file created with a later version, but in this case, if the file is saved, the alarms and information about checked nodes will be lost.

This project is an evolution of Tranglos Keynote (of Marek Jedlinski), with new features like:
    Checkboxes on children of selected nodes
    Selecting checkboxes for all nodes (View/Tree Checkboxes -- now View/All nodes Checkboxes) is still posible. Besides, checkboxes can be shown only on children of selected nodes (Children Checkbox)

Hidden nodes
    Capacity to work with hidden nodes. Nodes can be hidden in two ways:
    Activating a mode wich automatically hides checked nodes (Show or Hide checked nodes)
    Filtering one note's nodes or all notes under a searching criterion (Filter Tree Note)
    Alarms on nodes
    Better treatment of tables
    Improved treatment of links
    Multilanguage support"
download version 1.7.5.1

As far as portability is concerned, I don't see any differences.

I am Baas

Re: keynote

#4 Post by I am Baas » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:03 pm

Keynote NF is at version 1.7.9 Beta 6 (03 January, 2016)

Dl @ https://github.com/dpradov/keynote-nf/r ... 7.9-Beta.6

It is no longer required to launch with the -noreg parameter.

Settings: Application folder
Bəəs 2.0

smaragdus

#5 Post by smaragdus » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:28 pm

@I am Baas
Thanks, the betas can also be downloaded from SourceForge (previous releases are also available for download).

webfork

#6 Post by webfork » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:06 pm

I had a very poor experience when I tested Keynote NF like 2 years ago so I'll wait until development advances considerably to retest it.

FileHandler

#7 Post by FileHandler » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 pm

webfork wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:06 pm
I had a very poor experience when I tested Keynote NF like 2 years ago so I'll wait until development advances considerably to retest it.
Same here. I had used the program off and on again, but always got frustrated by a Search-function that would not find my stuff, not to mention other gripes.

Meanwhile however, it seems like most problems have been solved. I have used version 1.7.9 Beta 6 through 8 nearly every day for the past 12 months or so, and my overall impression is very good. It's fast and reliable, even with large files, has a ton of features I have come to appreciate.

Some users reported data losses when inserting images. I don't know if this got fixed for good or not. Early on I had decided to not run that risk and therefore use KeyNote for text only. If anything, I only link to images, but never embed or paste or drag&drop them into my text.

Linking to files is easy enough (Insert > Link to File ...) - but this inserts a fully specified path including the drive letter. You have to edit the link to make it portable. However, there is no 'Edit Link' command. Workaround: Select the link (Shift arrow-key your way over it) and call up Insert > URL....
Here's the catch: You MUST also select the empty space in front of the link-text, that's the spot containing the link-information (otherwise the dialog will come up empty)
Keynote.jpg
Relative syntax (..\OneDirUp\) is always relative to the current keynote file .knt and not to the keynote program exe. Be warned that this also holds true for the favorites sidebar: links you make relative in the favorites sidebar will work only if you happen to sit in the very same .knt file that was open when you created the link. This is very unfortunate, imo, and there is no way around it, no drive-letter placeholder I am aware of.

Not portable (paths always hardwired with drive letter):
- re-opening files via the built-in file manager or via recent files
- virtual nodes (nodes that refer to an external text or rtf file)