K-Meleon (alternative engine web browser)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Re: K-Meleon v75

#16 Post by Midas »

For whom it may concern, please keep in mind that although K-Meleon feels extremely light, it's a tinkerer's browser that has been in development for ages -- e.g., I first used in the heyday of Windows 98 -- and has suffered several waxing and waning phases...

If it works for you out of the box, then great -- you're all set. 8)

If it doesn't, I can assure you there's probably an easy solution, but research will be required on your part. Please note that any information available about K-Meleon has sedimented over an extremely long stretch of time and regards wildly different manifestations of the Web browser; thus, caution, discretion, and preliminary testing are all mandatory.

I'll just list some resources here to set you off:
Finally two related posts from Wilders Security and Vivaldi's forums:
@smallhagrid: you're welcome, mate. :)

@webfork: the present is the official forum topic for K-Meleon, which is currently not based on Seamonkey. Please amend OP subject. Thanks. :)

freakazoid

Re: Pocket K-Meleon SeaMonkey

#17 Post by freakazoid »

Decided to give the latest version a try.

This is the lightest browser out there, memory-wise!

Supports Firefox addons to some extent. Addons needing a toolbar button or context menu will need to use a K-Meleon "macro" to add it back. Check the K-Meleon extensions forum for more info:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/list.php?9

Advanced addons like uBlock do not work at the moment.

Only downside is it uses an older version of Firefox's engine (v31):
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/ReleaseNotes75

Even with a few addons installed (Bluhell Firewall, Stylish, Smart Referer), memory usage on start up was only 26MB RAM!

Most current browsers on a default config will use upwards of 150MB+ on start up (and that's being generous). Of course, you're sacrificing a few things, but for a simple browser that supports Firefox addons, I'd say that's pretty awesome. I would say this is a great replacement for Pale Moon at the very least.

I still use Firefox and Chromium though, but will definitely be throwing this on my tablet and older netbook.
is it stealth? ;)

smallhagrid

Re: K-Meleon - lightweight web browser

#18 Post by smallhagrid »

K-meleon is definitely very light, fast and I am making V75.1 Pro my new main browser...BUT:

Their forum appears to be fubar lately - literally for days already.
(http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/)

I have tried using it multiple times since sometime last week and with every version of every browser I have (even ie - bleah !!), and pretty much no matter what I try there gets an error message like this:
Error 400
We're sorry, but we could not fulfill your request for /forum/posting.php?1,reply,136830 on this server.
An invalid request was received from your browser. This may be caused by a malfunctioning proxy server or browser privacy software.
Every browser I use is working perfectly with anywhere I browse to, otherwise - this is the only site throwing errors.

It seems as if it must somehow relate with their forum being hosted by sourceforge.
I wish they'd get it fixed as I need to post there in my quest for using that browser every day...

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

Acknowledging an update is in the works, I went ahead and added a warning to the entry. In browser years, the last release is fairly ancient.

Happy.Camper2

#20 Post by Happy.Camper2 »

Hi webfork,
I truly believe that one day K-Meleon will be the best browser in all the world. Who knows, maybe K-Meleon 77 will be that browser.

I believe there's probably been numerous problems over the years in the development of this browser.
It's not like it's a company with paid employees.
These folks, past and present, have dedicated their free time as much as they probably could but, not giving up on the development, still hanging in there, really counts for alot as far as I'm concerned.

roytam1, I think, is doing a very good job with K-Meleon Goanna. It's moving right along ;)

Take care.

Midas

#21 Post by Midas »

I, for one, am testing roytam1 builds. It might be a while until I have anything to contribute, though. 👍

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

Happy.Camper2 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:46 pm I believe there's probably been numerous problems over the years in the development of this browser.
It's not like it's a company with paid employees.
These folks, past and present, have dedicated their free time as much as they probably could but, not giving up on the development, still hanging in there, really counts for alot as far as I'm concerned.
There are a lot of great projects like that. I hope they can pull things together and get something going. With browsers getting more and more complex, there's definitely a spot in my world for a simpler, lightweight browser like K-Meleon. It doesn't have to do everything, in fact I'd kind of prefer something that does less and does it well.

smallhagrid

#23 Post by smallhagrid »

Folks here may wish to give Mypal a try:
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/wiki/Portable

The info shown here may also be of interest to some folks:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/174987-ret ... nt=1154373

I mainly use K-Meleon 75.1 Pro version by Rodocop - but some sites simply will not work with it - whereas they do work with Mypal.
(Partial successes with those same sites have come via Otter & older versions of K-M, oddly enough...)
((I have zero interest in Goanna due to what it requires.))

Light, quick, minimal AND portable are my requirements in a browser - and I find all the chrome-ized baloney visually upsetting as well as insulting to intelligence in general;
Just speaking for myself=>
Most of the browsing I do is for reading rather than just lookin' at de pichurs !!

smaragdus

#24 Post by smaragdus »

@smallhagrid
Why don't you upload the binaries to Mypal releases page?

smallhagrid

#25 Post by smallhagrid »

I am a user, not the creator of that great browser - perhaps you may suggest that to 'Feodor2' ??

smaragdus

#26 Post by smaragdus »

@smallhagrid
smallhagrid wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:51 pm I am a user, not the creator of that great browser - perhaps you may suggest that to 'Feodor2' ??
Somehow I got the impression that you were the developer. Anyway, I suggested this.

Happy.Camper2

#27 Post by Happy.Camper2 »

Hi webfork,
Now I'm not being rude, but, don't you think that smallhagrid should have their own topic?
Afterall, this topic is about KM lightweight web browser.
Just an observation :)

I totally agree with your #22 post above. Hopefully, Midas will also be able to help the cause.

Midas - I'm so glad to read that you are testing roytam1 builds. I'm sure roytam1 would appreciate your input and findings.

I'm reallllllllly looking forward to K-M 77 Goanna ;)

Have a nice day everyone :)

webfork

#28 Post by webfork »

Happy.Camper2 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:22 pm Now I'm not being rude, but, don't you think that smallhagrid should have their own topic?
Afterall, this topic is about KM lightweight web browser.
No, it's a perfectly reasonable request. However, I'd like to wait and see if the browser picks up some momentum before giving it a separate thread.

smallhagrid

#29 Post by smallhagrid »

As a very happy camper (nyuk, nyuk !!) using K-Meleon this very second to post here, I added my reply to this thread for a couple of highly K-M related reasons:
1 - As good as it is, K-M users will find (as I have) that there are things they wish to do that will just not work (i.e.: some forums...);
2 - K-M, PM & Mypal are all very close cousins descended from FF & generally appeal to the same sorts of users;
3 - Lots of devout XP users do not wish to change their OS just to suit the demands of using a browser - some (like myself) are quite happy with XP SP2 & do not wish to get drawn into the changes made by SP3 in order to use a Goanna based browser, hence:
Mypal is a current and maintained Windows XP web browser. Mypal is based on Moonchild Productions' Pale Moon code, which itself was forked from Mozilla's FireFox code several years ago, but is also maintained and kept current.

The goal of Mypal is to provide a current, secure, and reliable web browser for Windows XP. Mypal operates identically to Pale Moon with some minor exceptions. Introduced new portable system and certain settings, including unused legacy Mozilla code, have been removed.
Finally, it must be said that Mypal is not 100% perfect either, so later in most days I find I have it as well as K-M open at once...using a forum on Mypal - but if there are links found there which open better in K-M I copy/paste those into it.
The best of all this is that when they are open together & with many tabs open on each, my resource monitor STILL shows less in use than just the single instance of Vivaldi that I use from time to time & Mypal alone uses almost nothing resource-wise.

Bonus for me: Mypal allows me to use Tab Mix Plus - which I simply adore !!

No thread hijacking was intended here - only helpfulness, and if my replies are seen as such - I do sincerely apologize.

PS:
A bit of a sad worry is that the K-M forum is barely (if at all) maintained & goes down sometimes for days on end.
No delegation of authority has occurred there & no energy has been directed to making the situation better for a very long time already.
It is really the ONLY place to get help with K-M - truly a precious resource - and if it goes down permanently many of us devout K-M users will have only our tears to comfort us. (K-Meleon Forum (http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/))

Midas

#30 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote: I'd like to wait and see if the browser picks up some momentum before giving it a separate thread.
My thoughts, precisely. :)

smallhagrid wrote: No delegation of authority has occurred there & no energy has been directed to making the situation better for a very long time already.
As a fairly old user (I first used K-Meleon in v0.7) that was one of the main reasons that diverted my attention elsewhere... only the sorry state of today's browser development urges me to seek memories of happier days. :|