Problems with FireFox Portable.

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
kuihdez

Problems with FireFox Portable.

#1 Post by kuihdez »

Okay, here is my problem...

When i open firefox portable from over portableapps.com everything goes smoothly. my profile is loaded and all.

BUt,

when i click a link inside windows and it launches my "default" firefox portable. then the profile is the default one and i don't have access to all my settings.

which is even weirder is that when i launch the profile manager using the --profilemanager command line, there isn't even a "Default" profile.

how can i make firefox use one and unique default profile ?

appsuser

#2 Post by appsuser »

For this it might be best to check and/or post in the support pages for the Firefox Portable application, located here:

http://portableapps.com/support

kuihdez

updates.

#3 Post by kuihdez »

Ok, If anyone cares to know...

Firefox portable is a shitty wrapper. it stores different profiles and copies some files to C:, it then removes itself.

when you click associate default browser, you are telling the copied version of firefox.exe to associate itself, and not the launcher.

so when that happens, firefox opens the default profile when you click on a link.

I used a thinapp version of firefox and all went well...

you also need to USE this program, which is portable :

http://windowsxp.mvps.org

defaut portable

and you can indicate the default browser to use and point it to the launcher in thinapp

alanbcohen

Re: updates.

#4 Post by alanbcohen »

kuihdez wrote:when you click associate default browser, you are telling the copied version of firefox.exe to associate itself, and not the launcher.
Why are you telling the OS to use a portable version as the Default? This defeats the point behind using a portable application in the first place. So, if you use an application in a way not intended, you may very well have problems.

BTW, have you PAID for your copy of Thinstall?

kuihdez

#5 Post by kuihdez »

yes, of course i payed for my copy of thinstall... NOW, back to our business.

I use my portable apps on a daily basis... I don't install anything on my computer. Only daemon tools (trying to substitute that).

everything else is run portably. That way my computer stays clean and fresh and i take my softwares on a usb key when i need them.

So naturally, i have been using portable file associator and CAFE. Just install your OS, and run PFA or CAFE and everything is being rerouted to your own portable software. no need to backup/restore/copy settings from other programs nor reinstall.

there you go !!!!

40cent

Re: Problems with FireFox Portable.

#6 Post by 40cent »

you may want cafe to associate links with the wrapper, or a batch file using a command line switch for the wrapper but why bother using the wrapper in the first place. You can just do a batch file of

Code: Select all

@start \<path to firefox>\firefox.exe -profile "\path\to\profile"

and firefox will run portably!