Andrea Mosaic - create photomosaics

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
garbanzo

Andrea Mosaic - create photomosaics

#1 Post by garbanzo »

you know those great posters that are made up of thousands of little images, but when you step back, they form a picture? this great bit of freeware lets you make those. it can even extract screenshots from a video file and use those as the tiles!

i've tested it with a pack of 4000 mobile phone wallpapers i downloaded, it works extremely well. i turned a wallpaper image into a 20mb jpg that is 5000x7000 pixels...

extract the installer using Universal Extractor, and you get a handful of .exe files, one for each type of image (square, landscape, portrait, etc)

about 3mb uncompressed

Code: Select all

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

ashghost

Works great - and is definitely portable

#2 Post by ashghost »

I tried this out today with Sandboxie and Registry Viewer. It doesn't allow you to save any settings, and creates just 2 registry keys in HKCU/current/software/AndreaMosaic/. One's called "DateFirstMosaic" and the other is "MosaicCount".

So it's portable, but not stealth.

I pointed it at my library of photos, tweaked the settings, and chose one to create a mosaic. It looks pretty good - even with my casual photos, which don't really cover the spectrum very well.

I like it!

garbanzo

#3 Post by garbanzo »

i wonder why it keeps track of those two items in the registry? very suspicious if you ask me.

but 2 entries isn't terrible. i've had lots of fun with it, i think it does pretty well for a little freeware app.

here's a mosaic i made with it a few weeks ago so you can get an idea of what it does. be sure to download the full res image to get the full effect!

Code: Select all

http://garbanzox.deviantart.com/art/Buuf-Deuce-Mosaic-86374811

guinness

Re: Andrea Mosaic - create photomosaics

#4 Post by guinness »

There is a Portable Version available, but it still writes to the Registry, but it extracts to the working directory (7-Zip SFX Wrapper)

There is a Beta version available (lower down the page) which offers VideoMosasics and more:
- Support for Mosaics up to 100 gigapixels.
- Initial support for VideoMosaics (Windows only).
- Improved performance on Multicore CPUs (Multithreading support)
- PPM, RAW and TIFF file support, useful for creating very large mosaics.
- Video Extraction supports now 8 bit video files (i.e. some Flash videos)
- Automatic Orientation of JPEG Images based on EXIF Settings.
- Added German translation for the User Interface
- Minor improvements and corrections.

andreaplanet

Re:

#5 Post by andreaplanet »

garbanzo wrote:i wonder why it keeps track of those two items in the registry? very suspicious if you ask me.
In the About Box I'm showing the Mosaic Count and the Creation Date of the first Mosaic.

There are a few other settings in the same registry position (last used folders, language settings, tooltips on/off) but I will move all that to local files only, configurable with an environment settings so that any folder on the system can be used.

byee
Andrea

andreaplanet

Re: Re:

#6 Post by andreaplanet »

The new beta version doesn't write anymore to the Registry but to local files only.
- The Setup version is using the Application Data folder of the User
- The Portable version is using a subdirectory of the executable files.
By setting the environment path ANDREAMOSAIC_CONFIG_PATH you can specify any folder on the system for the configuration files.
After some good tests and minor tweaks I will release the stable version at the beginning of September.

byee
Andrea

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: AndreaMosaic v3.35 released (changelog and download at http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/download/).

Small sample:

juverax

#8 Post by juverax »

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

Apparently, that was already superseded:
5 June 2019 - New Release 3.38.6 Beta
Changes:
- Added Tile# and Image# in the Text Report.