WikiTaxi is a portable offline-reader for wikis in MediaWiki format. It enables users to search and browse popular wikis like Wikipedia, Wikiquote, or WikiNews, without being connected to the Internet. WikiTaxi works well with different languages like English, German, Turkish, and others.
- Any Windows version starting from Windows 95 or later. Large File support (greater than 4 GB) for the huge wikis (English only at the time of this writing).
- 16 MB RAM or less for the WikiTaxi reader, 128 MB recommended for the importer (more for speed).
- Storage space for the Wiki database. At the moment, this grows to about 6.5 GB for the English Wikipedia, 2 GB for German, less for other Wikis. These figures are likely to grow in the future.
- Download WikiTaxi and extract to an empty folder. No installation is otherwise required.
- Download the XML database dump (*.xml.bz2) of your favorite wiki.
- Run WikiTaxi_Importer.exe to import the database dump into a WikiTaxi database. The importer takes care to uncompress the dump as it imports, so make sure to save your drive space and do not uncompress beforehand.
- When the import is finished, start up WikiTaxi.exe and open the generated database file. You can start searching, browsing, and reading immediately.
- After a successful import, the XML dump file is no longer needed and can be deleted to reclaim disk space.
- To update an offline Wiki for WikiTaxi, download and import a more recent database dump.
Writes settings to:
Application directory's *.ini file.
How to extract:
Download the ZIP file and extract to a folder of your choice. Launch WikiTaxi_Importer.exe once to import a wiki dump. Then just run WikiTaxi.exe for browsing.
Yes (obviously depending on installed Unicode font).
Freeware for personal use, no restrictions.