Windows store app wanted for quick note taking

Any other tech-related topics
Emka

Windows store app wanted for quick note taking

#1 Post by Emka »

Me again looking for a specific note taking app...
This time my requirements are as follows:
In a professional context, I'm often in the position of needing to quickly jot down a few notes during conversations or meetings, which I project via a projector for all participants to see. I do this with a Surface Go 2 running Win10 in S mode. So far, I've mostly been using the built-in Notepad in Windows, rarely Wordpad. MS Notepad has the advantage of being simple and fast. It sometimes bothers me that it can only do text, no formatting and such. When I need that, I sometimes use Wordpad, but there you have to set it up more awkwardly first to make it workable (enlarge page, reduce line spacing, remove spacing after paragraph).
Does anyone have any ideas for a middle ground? As simple as possible, still some basic formatting options (bold, italic, underline)?
OneNote would be visually and functionally too cluttered again. And I don't find it practical to write on a whiteboard app with a pen.
Should be available in the Microsoft Store because of the S-mode.

Midas

Re: Windows store app wanted for quick note taking

#2 Post by Midas »

In a jiffy, I reckon both AlephNote (lighter) or QOwnNotes could fit your bill -- they're both markdown capable and can do instant formatting preview, although each may require a little tweaking to better fit your purpose... no idea about MS store availability, though. :|

lintalist

#3 Post by lintalist »

I would just do a search for 'Markdown' and try out a few that have a live preview feature (e.g. convert '*word*' and '# heading' and '* bullet' while you type and not in a separate screen/part of the window) - zooming is often just ctrl+scroll wheel. Bob's your uncle.

Emka

#4 Post by Emka »

AlephNote and especially QOwnNotes might not be light and straightforward enough, I just want to fire up the app and jot sth. down. I would have to take a look into those markdown editors because i'm quite inexperienced with that. However, your suggestions are a welcome start for further investigations.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Emka wrote: AlephNote and especially QOwnNotes might not be light...
Then maybe my personal fav Cintanotes (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1468), Flashnote (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2775) or the alternatives mentioned therein might pick your fancy...

For lightness alone and at half a Megabyte, Mempad (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=889) might be difficult to beat.

Emka

#6 Post by Emka »

Thanks, I'm going to look for something like that. The thing is that I need an app from Microsoft Store for my work Surface. I've seen a few interesting editors and notepads in the store, I just have to find the time to try them out.

lintalist

#7 Post by lintalist »

Can't suggest or recommend anything specific, but just have a look at these markdown results to see what I tried to explain
https://apps.microsoft.com/search?query ... n-us&gl=US

This one converts while you type by the looks of it:
https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/typed ... n-us&gl=US

and this one looks like it keeps the markdown visible but still does layout (heading, bold, italic)
https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/simpl ... n-us&gl=US

You should probably try to avoid those editors that have a "preview" as in such cases you will have to do something to see the formatted text and cut half of your edit area to see it (this is what qownnotes does for example)

If you can side load apps and want to experiment with richer (heavier) programs:
1. obsidian for writing
2. loqseq - as you describe it you may be in the market for an outliner, same markdown to formatted trick as with obsidian and others but you start immediately in bullet list format which easy indent options + with a very minute effort you can generate easy TODOs or actionable reports after the meeting

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

lintalist wrote: You should probably try to avoid those editors that have a "preview" as in such cases you will have to do something to see the formatted text and cut half of your edit area to see it (this is what qownnotes does for example)
Mostly agree with you on the preferability of this -- although, personally, if the split is horizontal and can be resized it's easy to live with... YMMV. :|

lintalist

#9 Post by lintalist »

@midas Main reason is that I gather it is an low spec computer (also given the S mode) so the screen may be relatively small making it a bit of a waste of space. But to each their own :)

Emka

#10 Post by Emka »

Yeah, rather low spec, already more than two years old, small screen. Therefore my looking for something light with an uncluttered interface. So far, Simple Markdown Editor that lintalist posted about above seems promising. But I haven't had the time to test it yet.

dhuro99

#11 Post by dhuro99 »

Notepad's simplicity is great, but it lacks those formatting options. You might want to check out "Microsoft Sticky Notes" if you haven't already.