Quick Clipboard Editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JnLlnd

Quick Clipboard Editor

#1 Post by JnLlnd »

Hi,

First thank you to PortableFreeware for listing other apps Quick Access Popup and CSV Buddy.

I have a new application to submit and would like feedback before getting this listed on PortableFreeware (by myself or one of your moderators if you prefer).

This is (another!) Windows Clipboard tool... but this one works the way I wanted it. I tried a lot of clipboard tools and none gave me a direct access to the text in the clipboard in order to quickly edit it before pasting to the target application. Using a text editor for this requires a lot of clicks. With Quick Clipboard Editor (QCE), hotkeys allow to open the selected text in the editor and, when it is ready, to paste it back to the target application. It is like "opening" the clipboard and make changes directly in it with the help of lots of tools:

- do quick touch-ups to the text;
- retrieve clips from the Clipboard history;
- find and replace;
- insert new content on each line;
- trim unwanted sections of lines;
- keep or delete lines or characters based on various criteria;
- sort by all sort of criteria;
- change case of text or portion of text;
- convert text for various coding needs (HTML, XML, PHP, AHK, etc.);
- retrieve saved commands for frequent tasks.

This is only v1.0. I'll update it regularly. As for Quick Access Popup, users can send suggestions for the wishlist on the QCE forum and test upcoming features in beta releases. For example, I'm adding right now capability to retrieve HTML from the Clipboard, edit it and save the code the the Clipboard as HTML, allowing to paste with formatting in MS Word or other HTML aware editors. QCE is compatible with other Clipboard history tools if you like some of their features complementary with QCE.

Quick Clipboard Editor is freeware and is available as a fully portable application (ZIP file). It can also be installed using a setup program. The application is safely digitally signed with a code signing certificate.

More info:
- introduction video: https://youtu.be/kTcBYLLjvT4
- application description (HTML): https://clipboard.quickaccesspopup.com/ ... scription/
- application PAD file (XML): https://clipboard.quickaccesspopup.com/ ... editor.xml
- support forum: https://forum.quickaccesspopup.com/foru ... php?fid=27

Thanks you for your attention,
Jean Lalonde

Midas

Re: Quick Clipboard Editor

#2 Post by Midas »

Haven't tested but QCE does look very interesting. 8)

A couple of screenies, shamelessly pilfered from QCE's homepage...

Plus direct access to the video intro:

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

I tried it, and I think it is very impressive and professionally done for a portable freeware.

Basically for a super small size < 8MB, you get a pretty good text editor with clipboard history management for textual content.

The text editor provides numerous functions for find/replace, sorting, case manipulation (sentence case, lowercase, uppercase etc), programming aid (URL encode/encode, HEX encode/decode etc).

Really puts those 100+MB Electron-based monstrosities to shame! :lol:

JnLlnd

#4 Post by JnLlnd »

Thanks Midas and Andrew for your comments. Should I proceed and add an entry for Quick Clipboard Editor?

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

Can speak for the others, but if you add, I will vote.

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

Ditto. 8)

JnLlnd

#7 Post by JnLlnd »

I tried but got an error 500 when submitting.

JnLlnd

#8 Post by JnLlnd »

Tried again, still error 500...

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have added the database entry for Quick Clipboard Editor:

https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=3091

Please vote!

PS: I am not 100% sure why you are getting the 500 error, but I am guessing it's due to the "Release Date" field. I had problems selecting a date, and when I manually enter a date that is not of the correct format ('DD-MM-YYYY' instead of 'YYYY-MM-DD'), I encountered a 500 error. I need to fix it so that I can 1) select a date from the UI 2) validate that the entry is of the correct format.

PPS: Both issues above fixed. If you spot any other issues, pls lemme know. Thanks!

JnLlnd

#10 Post by JnLlnd »

Thanks for adding QCE to the database. I also had issue entering the date. This could be the reason. I had no issue updating the QCE record.

How many points are required to go public? It is currently at 13. Thanks to Andrew and Ennovy :-)

@All: Please vote!

Pendrive

#11 Post by Pendrive »

DELETED
Last edited by Pendrive on Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE DELETE ALL MY POSTS, COMMENTS AND ACCOUNT.

JnLlnd

#12 Post by JnLlnd »

Great :-)

Cornflower

#13 Post by Cornflower »

I've played with it a bit, and like the quick transformations for the clipboard. I haven't found problems with the transformation functions yet.

The only thing I find really awkward is the lack of Append. Working with academic documents much of the time, my current workflow uses Cliptrap (https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1781), then moving the combined text into a text editor to do the transformations (I use Ted Notepad https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=858 as it does many transformations well) Having an append feature as well as the savable transformations in QCE would really add to its functionality. I suspect I am not the only one doing this kind of thing.

Keep up the great work.

JnLlnd

#14 Post by JnLlnd »

Thank you for your input, Cornflower.

> Having an append feature

Could you describe the feature with a little more details? I understand the text is appended to the Clipboard. Is it done using a hotkey?

Cornflower

#15 Post by Cornflower »

The way cliptrap works is that anything that is copied to the clipboard is appended into a window; one is concatenated onto the rest. If I am reading a paper, and I want the title, the author(s), and the 2 significant lines from the abstract. As they are different snippets, I would highlight each of them in turn and press Ctrl-C for copy, and they would append one after the other. Cliptrap uses regular Ctrl-C, but it could be another hotkey. You can also set the delimeter between clips. I also normally set the delimiter to CR/LF under options so it doesn't get mushed together on a single line. The result of the above example would like like this one:

Expanding the Impact of the clip 1
Psychology of Working
David L. Blustein clip 2
1, Maureen E. Kenny1, Annamaria Di Fabio2, clip 3
and Jean Guichard3
agendas that focus on examining the psychological meaning and impact of economic and social clip 4
protections
intended clip 5
to stimulate new ideas and initiatives for psychological research that will inform and enhance efforts
pertaining to work as a human right.

I then clean up the mess manually.

If I were to only use QCE as it stands, the above would show up as 5 different clips in the history of QCE, and I would then have to paste it 5 times to put the cleaned text into one spot in my notes. If there was an optional hotkey to not create a new history clip but to append to the previous one, then I could clean the above together rather than separately. As I can sometimes have multiple dozens of clips from a single paper, you can see how onerous it would be.

I hope this is the right amount of detail for you. Let me know here or by private message if you want better examples or different details.