How to create/maintain a CLI DB on Windows?

Any other tech-related topics
vevy

How to create/maintain a CLI DB on Windows?

#1 Post by vevy »

Hi, everyone.

Since continuing the CLI DB on TPFC is currently a no go, I thought I'd make one on my Windows machine, but I am not good enough to do it on my own.

My question is: short of creating a dedicated GUI app, is there a way to maintain a database (e.g. SQLite) from a UI (like a local server) with a GUI interface to simplify adding/searching/updating entries?

In short, I want to know the simplest way to recreate the TPFC DB locally on my machine.

I would appreciate any help!

Andrew Lee

Re: How to create/maintain a CLI DB on Windows?

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

I think easiest way to do this is something like Microsoft Access.

An open-source alternative would be the Database module in LibreOffice.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

As a more involved alternative, yet probably more flexible, one could set a LAMP stack and manage data via browser -- it could even live in a home server or a VM, perhaps...

There are easy instructions for this all around the web.

vevy

#4 Post by vevy »

Andrew Lee wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:29 pm I think easiest way to do this is something like Microsoft Access.

An open-source alternative would be the Database module in LibreOffice.
Thanks, but I need a UI for each entry and search, tags, etc. Database application forms don't allow a good UI for this.
Midas wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:00 pm There are easy instructions for this all around the web.
Can you help with this? Like, what would I need to search for? How to create the UI, etc?

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

You could start by getting any of the solutions in TPFC's "web servers" category working (see https://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=125).

Once you get that, as most of them provide database management interfaces, you'll have to look into it -- defining tables and relations, as well as configuring the kind of UI you want.

To get you started, here's a basic link dump from a quick search into "database server" by Google:

vevy

#6 Post by vevy »

@Midas

I got to the stage of running a server to manage an SQLite DB. What stymied me is: short of learning a programming language, there isn't an easy way to create the UI I am talking about. :?

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

I am pretty sure it's the MySQL database, not SQLite. SQLite is a small database that is typically embedded into applications, not run on servers. The "M" in the LAMP stack refers to MySQL (it's Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP).

AFAIK, you do need to learn a programming language if your intention is to spin up a web server. Actually multiple languages, since you'd need HTML/CSS/JS and maybe some UI framework (eg. Bootstrap) at the frontend, and something at the backend (this site uses PHP, but other popular choices include Node.js, Java etc.)

Come to think of it, for your run-of-the-mill database retrieval-display-update project, why isn't there something simple like M$ Access for the LAMP stack? It is really easy to create a small database app with M$ Access (complete with WYSIWYG UI design), but of course you won't be able to scale up to the level of a true relational DB like MySQL. But then, not all apps require that level of scaling.

vevy

#8 Post by vevy »

Andrew Lee wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:55 am I am pretty sure it's the MySQL database, not SQLite. SQLite is a small database that is typically embedded into applications, not run on servers. The "M" in the LAMP stack refers to MySQL (it's Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP).
I had set up a PHP server with SQLite. But I didn't know how to go beyond the table interface (which is already provided by direct SQLite GUI apps without the need of a server).
Andrew Lee wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:55 am Come to think of it, for your run-of-the-mill database retrieval-display-update project, why isn't there something simple like M$ Access for the LAMP stack? It is really easy to create a small database app with M$ Access (complete with WYSIWYG UI design), but of course you won't be able to scale up to the level of a true relational DB like MySQL. But then, not all apps require that level of scaling.
Despite using Windows, I try not to rely on closed-source/proprietary-format software.
Andrew Lee wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:55 am Actually multiple languages
:?
Positive you don't want to to revive the TPFC CLI DB? I won't ask for much any more! :mrgreen:

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

No intention of contradicting Andrew here, who has a whole lot more experience with this than I do, but take a look at Bitnami, for instance -- plenty of ready-made client-server images for one to choose, and there are other similar resources (that was my initial meaning).

And instead of a database, why not go with a CMS or a forum-based idea, even if it is for your own exclusive personal use. In the end and from my POV, even TiddlyWiki could work given the proper elbow grease...

vevy

#10 Post by vevy »

@Midas/@Andrew Thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it.

I actually settled (or trying to settle) on another plaintext solution. I am actively filling it.

Nevertheless, I still want to benefit others by this effort, so my proposal to Andrew still stands.