Tp-Note (markup enhanced granular note-taking)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Midas

Tp-Note (markup enhanced granular note-taking)

#1 Post by Midas »

Just came across MIT Licensed Tp-Note and it looks interesting enough to warrant a post here.
Tp-Note is a note-taking-tool and a template system -- freely available for Windows, MacOS and Linux -- that consistently synchronizes the note's meta-data with its filename. If you like to keep your notes next to your files and you care about expressive filenames, then Tp-Note might be the tool of your choice.

I haven't really tested Tp-Note but, from reading its extensive documentation, one gets the idea that it's a very powerful as well as very customizable software for its purpose.

Apparently, Tp-Note can be used without installation but that doesn't really make it portable since, according to the "man page", it saves its settings to '%APPDATA%\tpnote\config'.

A workaround is provided by using command line parameters "-c" or "--config=" that allows pointing to the program's folder...

IMHO, the real power of Tp-Note lies in using it as a shell extension in Windows, as is also rather well documented in Tp-Note documentation covering installing:
This is where one can also see how to use a custom text editor (and web browser) or markup scheme other than Markdown, something that promises to make Tp-Note really powerful and flexible.

Referrencing Tp-Note Github (mirror) the latest release is currently v1.20.1 (see https://github.com/getreu/tp-note/releases; BTW, this is also where a more convenient ZIP package can be downloaded, instead of the MSI offered elsewhere...).

lintalist

Re: Tp-Note (markup enhanced granular note-taking)

#2 Post by lintalist »

I've watched the intro video, if I wasn't a Total Commander user this might be something I could get into - but as I am, I use the file comments of the file manager using the Descript.ion format - strangely enough not much info about it online but there isn't that much to tell but you can set it up so folders with file comments are displayed in a separate column and/or apply colours based on the contents of the file comment.

Unrelated but a nice tid bit: In the TP video there is an example of adding a note to a downloaded file so the source can be identified later, but that information is already stored in the Zone.Identifier ADS which you can also view with total command for a downloaded file - some info https://superuser.com/questions/695507/ ... oaded-from

edit: you may want to check your file manager as it may also use file comments (descript.ion) as it is supported by a variety of programs including ACDSee (in the past anyway)

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Thanks for the input, lintalist. 8)

As I use neither, my hypothetical use case was aimed at Windows Explorer -- that I usually modify via OpenShell's Classic Explorer.

In that context, I commonly use a couple of shell extensions, namely FileNoter, to whose functionality Tp-Note would be a manifest upgrade, chiefly because of Markdown integration, which I'm a big user of...

The sole reason precluding it is my 'filenoter.ini' is only three lines long, i.e., a degree of simplicity that's extremely hard to beat:

Code: Select all

[options]
tag=_
date=1
Regardless, overall interesting tidbits about 'descript.ion' standard sidecar files -- although I haven't used them much since my times with pure DOS file managers...

lintalist

#4 Post by lintalist »

The main difference I see is one file per each file comment (Tp-Note, FileNoter) or all comments in one file (descript.ion, files.bbs) for TC et al.

TC can copy/move the file comments along with the files automatically if you wish.

Total Command and other file managers have addons to make use of the the ADS so you can have file comments that are also copied/moved when you move files. I still prefer the old style descript.ion as it is just a text file which is also easy to edit if need be and ADS are just a bit "too hidden" for me.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

lintalist wrote: I still prefer the old style descript.ion as it is just a text file which is also easy to edit if need be and ADS are just a bit "too hidden" for me.
That's exactly my stance, too. Plain text is the universal interface, as they say... :|

getreu

#6 Post by getreu »

Tp-Note should be easily made portable as it only needs one binary file `tpnote.exe`.
Apparently, Tp-Note can be used without installation but that doesn't really make it portable since, according to the "man page", it saves its settings to '%APPDATA%\tpnote\config'. A workaround is provided by using command line parameters "-c" or "--config=" that allows pointing to the program's folder...
Alternatively you can set the environment variable

TPNOTE_CONFIG
. When set, the environment variable replaces the default path where Tp-Note stores and loads its configuration data. It has the same effect as the command line option “--config”. Does this help?

Besides, it has proven useful to configure the file-explorer also: https://blog.getreu.net/projects/tp-no ... figuration

I am the author of Tp-Note. If I can help, with pleasure.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

Welcome to TPFC forums, getreu, and many thanks for your input. 8)

Please excuse the extended lack of any feedback, it's just your post struck smack-dab at the beginning of my holidays and then got back-logged on return -- I'm sure sooner or later our community will chime in regarding Tp-Note's features and challenges...

hamasaki

#8 Post by hamasaki »

Hi getreu,

What is the format for the portable config file? If I specify a blank file it throws a parsing error.
tpnote.exe -c=./tpnote.ini

getreu

#9 Post by getreu »

Hello hamasaki,

Tp-Note 1.23 can source TOML formatted configuration files, but it works without.
The following example sets `.txt` as default extension (instead of `.md`):

[[scheme]]
name='default'
[scheme.filename]
extension_default = "txt"
The configuration files are searched for at various locations and then merged
into the internal default configuration [c. f. documentation]:

1. Unix and MacOS only: '`/etc/tpnote/tpnote.toml`'
2. The file where the environment variable '`TPNOTE_CONFIG`' points to.
3. The user's configuration file:
- Unix: '`~/.config/tpnote/tpnote.toml`'
- Windows: '`C:\Users\<LOGIN>\AppData\Roaming\tpnote\config\tpnote.toml>`'
- MacOS: '`/Users/<LOGIN>/Library/Application Support/tpnote`'
4. At startup all parent directories of the note file path '`<PATH>`'are
searched for a marker file named '`.tpnote.toml`'. If found, the document root
moves from '`/`' the found location. If present and its content is not empty,
Tp-Note interprets the file's content as configuration file.
5. The file indicated by the command line parameter '`--config <FIlE>`'.

Maybe the environment variable (2.) TPNOTE_CONFIG can be set for the portable
version? Anyway, as mentioned above, if you are happy with the defaults, there is
no need for a configuration file at all. If customization is needed, the user can
always opt for (4.)
BTW, some basic configuration can be done with [environment variables] as well.

Tp-Note consists of only one self sufficient binary and does not need additional
runtime data or libraries. That said, the optional [file explorer integration] is quite
handy.

[cf. documentation]: https://blog.getreu.net/projects/tp-not ... tomization
[environment variables]: https://blog.getreu.net/projects/tp-not ... -variables
[file explorer integration]: https://blog.getreu.net/projects/tp-not ... figuration

getreu

#10 Post by getreu »

BTW, I completely forgot this thread. Sorry for my late answer. If I can help, better open a discussion here:
[getreu/tp-note · Discussions · GitHub](https://github.com/getreu/tp-note/discussions)

hamasaki

#11 Post by hamasaki »

No problem getreu, appreciate the reply. :)