Server upgrade

Changes, updates etc. related to this website will be posted here.
Andrew Lee

Re: Server upgrade

#31 Post by Andrew Lee »

Ennovy wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:13 pm Hi Andrew, I waited a few days but the feed is not updating. Could you please check again. Thanks!
Sorry about that.. it's truly fixed now. I had to go to feedburner manually and refresh the feed.

Special

#32 Post by Special »

This might not be "Server upgrade" related, but this thread has sorta been a bit of a bug reporting one, so I'm going to take advantage of that and report something, I don't think this deserves its own thread. Heck this might not even be a bug or maybe I'm just dumb...

So, the notification panel where you can check notifications, I noticed these boxes cannot be checked individually with the mouse...? Seems strange.

The only way I've found is to press the "Mark All" button which selects them all.

Again, super not important, maybe not even a bug, but definitely not worthy of its own thread. :P

Andrew Lee

#33 Post by Andrew Lee »

So, the notification panel where you can check notifications, I noticed these boxes cannot be checked individually with the mouse...? Seems strange.
I suspect that read notifications have the disabled checkboxes that cannot be checked interactively. The fact that "Mark all" is able to do it is probably an oversight, and notice that even though the checkboxes are ticked, they still have the disabled status.

I can't 100% confirm this because I don't have any unread notifications at the moment. But if you do, check to see if the checkboxes for the unread notifications are enabled.

EDIT: Just confirmed that my hypothesis above is true. I had an unread notification just now, and went to the control panel to check. Sure enough, that new notification had an enabled checkbox.

Midas

#34 Post by Midas »

Just noticed that https://cli.portablefreeware.com/ is currently gone. Will that be permanent?

Andrew Lee

#35 Post by Andrew Lee »

Yes, I checked stats during the migration and found access numbers to be almost non-existent. So I skipped that for the migration. I did make a backup though, so resurrection is always possible.

Another alternative is to integrate that into the main site. The code is already there I believe (due to a previous request by webfork), but disabled. It allows you to submit a CLI app, and to include CLI during search. For listing, CLI is not included by default, but one can turn it on so that CLI apps are included in the listing.

The current status quo of having everything in the forum might be sufficient for the time-being though...

Midas

#36 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote: The current status quo of having everything in the forum might be sufficient for the time-being though...
Suits me fine. It's only the CLI forum section is wholly dependent on that database... :!:

BTW, I was thinking the now irrelevant "CLI Notes" sub-forum could be merged into "CLI Discussions" (duly commented) for better readability, if you catch my drift.

Andrew Lee

#37 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:37 am
Andrew Lee wrote: The current status quo of having everything in the forum might be sufficient for the time-being though...
Suits me fine. It's only the CLI forum section is wholly dependent on that database... :!:

BTW, I was thinking the now irrelevant "CLI Notes" sub-forum could be merged into "CLI Discussions" (duly commented) for better readability, if you catch my drift.
Actually, I kinda have the opposite idea:

1) moving the topics not related to CLI apps within CLI Disucssion to CLI Notes
2) freezing CLI Notes for future reference, this leaving CLI Disucssion to focus on discussion about CLI apps.

What do you think?

Midas

#38 Post by Midas »

Unaware newcomers will care lttle about it, the reference value of "CLI Notes" will only be evident for TPFC insiders -- but I see your point... My goal was only to avoid having yet another seldom used sub-forum with 11 topics in it no one cares about. :|

Purging the whole thing (including whatever you intend to move there) would be another alternative...

vevy

#39 Post by vevy »

To be honest, the project is not dead to me. I have been quietly collecting CLI apps into my notes. Not sure how much effort I am willing to put into it, but I still want to do something.

Andrew Lee

#40 Post by Andrew Lee »

@Midas: I have moved all the topics that are related to CLI database to "CLI Notes", and changed the name to "CLI DB Discussion (Deprecated)". If I have missed anything , please let me know, or move the topics directly to the forum.

I have also locked the forum to prevent any future changes.

In the future, we could delete/hide the forum as you suggested, but for the moment, I think it does remind us of the thought process we have all been through regarding this endeavour.

@vevy: I acknowledge your dedication to this cause, which is truly admirable.

vevy

#41 Post by vevy »

Thanks

But does this mean that you have no interest in it moving forward?

I probably won't have the time I had before, but I do want to have a database of Windows CLI tools.

Andrew Lee

#42 Post by Andrew Lee »

vevy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:25 am But does this mean that you have no interest in it moving forward?
No interest at all.

vevy

#43 Post by vevy »

Andrew Lee wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:54 pm
vevy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:25 am But does this mean that you have no interest in it moving forward?
No interest at all.
Alright, then.

vevy

#44 Post by vevy »

Even though I contributed the majority of entries, some are by others. Am I allowed to use the data elsewhere?

Andrew Lee

#45 Post by Andrew Lee »

Not sure about that... think it's best that you check with the individuals responsible for the entries.