[TECH] Need a second opinion on what to get

Any other tech-related topics
Albert90

[TECH] Need a second opinion on what to get

#1 Post by Albert90 »

Okay, this isn't really related to Portable Freeware (hence the chit-chat sub-forum) but if there's one thing I've noticed, it's that the community is really helpful, so maybe you could help me out with an off-topic question I've been pondering.

I've been on the fence for a while about whether to buy the Amazon Fire TV Cube or the FireStick for my living room TV, which I suppose for me is functionally the same as a home theatre in a way (there's not enough room for an actual one).

From what I understand from this comparison article, the specialty of the Cube is mainly that it can be fully controlled with just your voice, which I do find potentially useful. But does it justify the price tag? Because the FireStick can do just about everything that the Cube can (except the full voice control) at a much cheaper price.

I'm trying to get an opinion from someone who's used either of these or simply knows better. Is getting the Cube worthwhile, do you think? Or am I better off getting the Stick?

TIA!

Midas

Re: [TECH] Need a second opinion on what to get

#2 Post by Midas »

Without having ever tried any of the products, my knee jerk reaction was to ponder how concerned should you be about your digital privacy?

Amazon, as all Big Tech members of the so-called FAANG gang, is not at all privacy friendly -- in fact their business models depend on opposing it; case in point and not so long ago, Ring, an Amazon subsidiary company, was caught sharing data with unwarranted third parties without the knowledge of the very device owners.

Having said that, to each his/her own: personally and from what I gathered hither and tither, I'd prefer the FireStick, which can at least be jailbroken/rooted and has an independent community developing hacks and alternative ROMs. Prior to your mention, the Cube was unbeknownst to me. YMMV, though. :|

Albert90

#3 Post by Albert90 »

That's actually a fair point that I hadn't previously considered, so thanks for pointing it out. I suppose that makes another reason not to get the cube, given how it's supposed to be always listening.

Jailbreak sounds interesting though - definitely something I'd try out eventually if I got the Stick.

I'll be sure to keep privacy considerations in mind for my future tech purchases too.

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

I'd try and get a device supported by LineageOS if possible. It looks like nVidia Shield TV devices are supported from 2015 and on.
is it stealth? ;)

Albert90

#5 Post by Albert90 »

freakazoid wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:18 pm I'd try and get a device supported by LineageOS if possible. It looks like nVidia Shield TV devices are supported from 2015 and on.
Thanks for the reply. Can I ask how installing LineageOS would help? More apps and whatnot I'm guessing?

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

Albert90 wrote: More apps and whatnot I'm guessing?

Yes, e.g., apps sourced from F-Droid (https://www.f-droid.org/; not exclusively for LineageOS).

From my experience with LOS in smartphones, mostly a slimmer and lightweight system with more leeway for user control and customization... :|

freakazoid

#7 Post by freakazoid »

Albert90 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:55 am
freakazoid wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:18 pm I'd try and get a device supported by LineageOS if possible. It looks like nVidia Shield TV devices are supported from 2015 and on.
Thanks for the reply. Can I ask how installing LineageOS would help? More apps and whatnot I'm guessing?
Less of a dependence on Google. LineageOS doesn't come with any Google apps by default.
is it stealth? ;)

Albert90

#8 Post by Albert90 »

Gotcha. Thanks again guys!

chintupandya

#9 Post by chintupandya »

Albert90 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:55 am
Yes, Nvidia Shield device are super compatible now a days, these devices comes with customised version Android OS. Recently, I have installed 3rd party games and streaming applications. It's super fun.