is there a file manager that let me tag files and folder ?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Andrew Lee

Re: is there a file manager that let me tag files and folder ?

#16 Post by Andrew Lee »

NunoSilva wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:34 am Are there tools to take snapshots of the before and after of the registry?
Try RegShot, or Primo.

Midas

#17 Post by Midas »

NunoSilva wrote: I must confess that my definition of "portable" is not very strict.
As long as an app runs from an USB drive, Memory Card or external SSD, not caring from which drive/folder it is springing, not demanding Administrator privileges - it is portable for my purposes.
Sorry if I misled someone.

No problem, to each, his own. 8)

But, over time, you'll probably realize that it pays to do some thorough testing upfront. Also, the community appreciates it...

Andrew Lee wrote:
NunoSilva wrote: Are there tools to take snapshots of the before and after of the registry?
Try RegShot, or Primo.

Excellent suggestions, that's how I started.

For further info, you could also browse through this: viewtopic.php?t=21885...

Andrew Lee

#18 Post by Andrew Lee »

Also, there are some useful information in the FAQ.

Being able to run a program from a memory stick on different machines without installation is just a low bar to cross. Imagine you have configured the program just the way you like, but when you try to run it on a different machine, all your carefully manicured settings are lost. How frustrating would that be! I doubt these programs will be accepted by the TPFC community as portable.

Of course, not all programs are affected by this. For example, some programs (eg. diagnostic applications) may need you to target the settings for each machine you run it on. Others may have one or two insignificant settings that most people won't bother changing anyway. It really boils down to the type of application and the settings they expose.

NunoSilva

#19 Post by NunoSilva »

Usually, when I get to a new work environment, I copy from DVD all my "portable" apps into a Guest area - and YES, I usually have to reconfigure a few, reposition windows, etc...

I guess - as soon as I get some free time - I'll study how to take Registry and File System Snapshots (before and aft), learn how to use yaP and make the rounds thru my apps...

Thanks guys! This is a great community for and old donkey to learn new tricks. :lol: