Open with++

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
freakazoid

Open with++

#1 Post by freakazoid » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Another Explorer context-menu shell extension.

Source: https://github.com/stax76/OpenWithPlusPlus

Screenshots:

Haven't tested it, but looks like a promising alternative to Open++, which isn't developed anymore.
is it stealth? ;)

TP109

Re: Open With++

#2 Post by TP109 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:25 am

Going to give this one a try.

thanx

Midas

#3 Post by Midas » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:29 pm

freakazoid wrote: Haven't tested it, but looks like a promising alternative to Open++, which isn't developed anymore.

FTR, further info on portability would be welcome. :briefcase:

hced

Re: Open with++

#4 Post by hced » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:00 pm

Anyone know if this might work with my favorite file manager, Directory Opus?

TP109

#5 Post by TP109 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:44 pm

Midas wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:29 pm
FTR, further info on portability would be welcome. :briefcase:
This program isn't useful at all without installing the shell extension using install/uninstall, and with the shell extension enabled, it writes several MUICache entries in the registry, which are not significant for specifying a program as stealth. It also writes a prefetch (.pf) file to C:\Windows when launched. However, Notepad3, listed as stealth, also does that. Not sure what gets removed when the shell extension is disabled. I didn't test that since install/uninstall requires a reboot, logout, or restarting explorer. May test that later to see what remains after uninstalling the shell extension. Settings are saved by default to Users/user/AppData/Roaming/Openwith++/settings.xml, but the settings folder can be changed to the program's folder under "options".

Requires Windows 7 x64 or higher, .NET Framework 4.8 x64 and Visual C++ 2019 Redistributable x64.
hced wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:00 pm
Anyone know if this might work with my favorite file manager, Directory Opus?
According to my tests, OpenWith++ works with Directory Opus and FreeCommanderXE. It doesn't work with Cubic Explorer, Explorer++, DoubleCommander, XYExplorer, or Q-Dir.

Tested on Windows 7 64-bit.