Scribus - desktop publishing

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Darkbee

Scribus - desktop publishing

#1 Post by Darkbee »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Scribus program thread. View database entry]

----

Yesterday I was trying to find a comprehensive but free desktop publishing solution. Since this isn't the type of thing I use all of the time I certainly don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for one of the popular commercial packages like Adobe's PageMaker.

Anyone, while surfing the Internet I came across an open source project called Scribus. It is truly great and did everything I needed it to do. One nice thing about it is that it is multi-platform with many different flavours for Linux, and native ports to the Mac and Windows.

So if you need a DTP solution and don't want to pay loads of money then I would thoroughly recommend it. As far as I know it is not portable but I still think it merits a mention on a forum devoted to software applications.

JohnW

#2 Post by JohnW »

As I expect you're aware by now, Portable Scribus is available on ...
http://www.quate.net/newsnet/read.php?id=31

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks! I have posted Portable Scribus to the database.

Slythfox

Portable Scribus 1.3.3.2 (May 30th release)

#4 Post by Slythfox »

I'm the author of Portable Scribus, and have noticed that Portable Scribus is on the database. I have two things to say. First, I'm not sure if you do database updates, but I released Portable Scribus 1.3.3.2 yesterday, which of course, updates to Scribus 1.3.3.2 (lots of windows fixes, loads faster.) The second thing is that on the Portable Scribus data page, it says that Portable Scribus writes settings to the Application folder, which is not true if you mean the Windows User Application Data folder, unless you mean to the folder relative to Portable Scribus. Either way, it confused me, and probably confuses other people.

Also, as of the latest two releases (1.3.3.1 and 1.3.3.2), Portable Scribus does not base it's launcher code from XScribus, as currently stated on the database website.

I hope this clears some things up.

Here's the portable scribus main info page:

Here's the portable scribus sourceforge.net page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/portablescribus/

Darkbee

#5 Post by Darkbee »

Slythfox wrote:...The second thing is that on the Portable Scribus data page, it says that Portable Scribus writes settings to the Application folder, which is not true if you mean the Windows User Application Data folder, unless you mean to the folder relative to Portable Scribus...
Yes, it means the folder relative to the application itself, so I suppose that it should really say the application's folder.

Since I have your attention, I downloaded your portable edition the other day and had an issue with the toolbars being blank (no graphics). This occured when I downloaded the 7z archive, but I had no such problems with the zip version. Was I just unlucky and had a corrupt download for the first attempt or is this is known issue? (I'm running XP)

Thanks for making an awesome application even better! :)

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

I use "User profile folder" to refer to any subfolders under "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]", including the "Application Data" subfolder. Note that not all apps write to the "Application Data" subfolder. Some create their own subfolders under "C:\Documents and Settings\[username]".

Application folder refers to any subfolders relative to the application's folder.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

Slythfox

#7 Post by Slythfox »

Darkbee wrote:Since I have your attention, I downloaded your portable edition the other day and had an issue with the toolbars being blank (no graphics). This occured when I downloaded the 7z archive, but I had no such problems with the zip version. Was I just unlucky and had a corrupt download for the first attempt or is this is known issue? (I'm running XP)
Works for me... very strange. I have a feeling it be because I used and older version of 7z to compress it. I'll have to look into that a little bit more. Thanks. I'll try to see if I can solve this problem for the next release (whenever Scribus 1.3.3.3 or 1.3.4 comes out, I'll update the portable version).

FlightGeek

Portable Scribus has been updated to 1.3.3.2

#8 Post by FlightGeek »

Portable Scribus has been updated to 1.3.3.2

https://sourceforge.net/projects/portablescribus/
Changes
1.3.3.2 (Latest):
* Updated to Scribus version 1.3.3.2. This included compressing all dll files.
* Added a task tray icon for closing Scribus. This task tray icon works even if Scribus is frozen.

1.3.3.1:
* Completely recreated the Portable Scribus launcher from scratch. The launcher's .ini file is simpler.
* Updated to Scribus version 1.3.3.1. This included compressing most of the .dll and .exe files (using UPX) for a smaller file size.
* Slightly modifed the Portable Scribus' file architecture.
* Improved the scribus launcher icon.

USBman

Portable Scribus

#9 Post by USBman »

Portable Scribus 1.3.3.3 is out now, and available for download.

Check it out, available at http://www.quate.net/newsnet/read.php?id=31.

Andrew Lee

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

Database updated. Thanks!

newsomer

Portable Scribus

#11 Post by newsomer »

Following the Website and download links produce the following message:
Quate Newsnet Closed
Sorry, the Quate Newsnet is closed for maintenance and/or upgrades. It will be back up as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It's been this way for several days.

Andrew Lee

#12 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have added direct download for this entry until the website comes back online again.

newsomer

#13 Post by newsomer »

Great, thank you very much.

Slythfox

Portable Scribus 1.3.3.12

#14 Post by Slythfox »

Portable Scribus 1.3.3.12 released:
http://www.quate.net/newsnet/read.php?31

Includes a multilingual download, and a smaller-sized english download.

webfork

Re: Scribus

#15 Post by webfork »

It hasn't made its way to a portable version yet, but Ghacks has a bit about how this is a major update.

I don't do much desktop publishing lately, but nice to have open alternatives.

Edit: here's the official changelog. Impressive.